Main Menu

When to Salute???

Started by 356cadet, June 11, 2008, 09:07:10 PM

356cadet

I know when to salute to a senior officer. However, how do you salute a senior NCO (someone in active duty keeping their military rank). Also, concerning cadet officers, do you salute to them as you do senior officers?

Please help me out. My Adobe Acrobat isn't functioning, so I was unable to open the file for this component. Please reply. (I'm going to Encampment Friday, and I SHOULD know this) Thanks a bunch!

DC

You don't salute NCOs, and yes, you salute cadet officers and Senior Members in exactly the same fashion.

You should print out a copy of CAPP 151 to have at hand when there isn't a computer around, or Adobe won't work.

JoeTomasone

Just to clarify a tad, but not as comprehensively as CAPP 151 (which should be required reading!):

You salute all OFFICERS who are senior in grade to you.

Therefore, you do not salute cadet NCOs, or Senior Members without grade.

Since Senior Members have inherent rank above cadets, all Senior Member officers are saluted by ALL cadets. 

Pylon

As a cadet:

People you salute include:
CAP Senior Member Officers (2d Lt - Maj Gen)
CAP Flight Officers (FO - SFO)
Cadet Officers senior in rank to you (C/2d Lt - C/Col)
Military Officers (2d Lt - Gen)
POTUS

People you do not salute include:
CAP Senior Members without grade (SM)
CAP Senior Member NCOs (Sgt - CMSgt)
CAP Cadet Airmen & NCOs (C/AB - C/CMSgt)
Military Enlisted and NCO's
Civilians
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

You forgot Warrant Officers.  And might wanna add ENS-ADM.
Mike Johnston

356cadet

Thanks alot, everyone. I get the basic aspect of it now. I recently read up on CAPP 151, and it didn't say anything about saluting WITHOUT items in your hand. However, I already know that, without items, you salute and stand at attention when an officer walks by, (2) when the officer is speaking to someone else, you salute as you walk past him (if he salutes and drop, you drop; if he doesn't see you, you hold it until you pass him), but there's a couple I'm confused with:

If the officer isn't talking, and you walk by him, do you stop, stand at attention, and salute until he passes? Also, if he and you are walking past, do you stop, stand at attention, and salute, as well. Or, do you simply salute as you walk by.

Basically what I'm asking is: (1) what do you do when an officer is just standing and looking, and (2) what do you do when the officer and you are walking up to each other?

arajca

(1) You salute as you walk by. Hold it until a. he returns it or b. you pass him.

(2) Same.

lordmonar

Quote from: 356cadet on June 11, 2008, 10:31:02 PM
you salute and stand at attention when an officer walks by, (2) when the officer is speaking to someone else, you salute as you walk past him........If the officer isn't talking, and you walk by him, do you stop, stand at attention, and salute until he passes?

I hear this one all the time.  There is no need to stop and come to attention.  If you are just walking along and meet an officer (stopped or in motion) you simple salute and render a verbal greeting.  No need to stop unless the officer wants to talk to you.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

To throw it in......

If you are addressing a group of male Officers, you would call them gentlemen, not sirs!  If you are addressing female Officers you address them as ladies, not ma'ams.

Passing a group of male Officers you salute and say "good morning/afternoon/evening Gentlemen"

Passing group of female Officers you salute and say"good morning/afternoon/evening ladies"

A mixed group of male and female Officers would be Ladies and Gentlemen.

Edited: gentleman to gentlemen.  Slipped there for a second...thanks Major K (below)  :-[
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Another former CAP officer