when is it too public?? Or too private?

Started by mynetdude, March 24, 2008, 12:25:22 AM

Eagle400

We are all living in an age where privacy is considered a luxury; there is no longer such a thing as "too public."  This can be good in some instances, but in most it is bad.

The best one can do to prevent what is posted here from coming back to them is remain anonymous, don't reveal where you're from, don't reveal any personal information, and don't post any pictures of yourself.

Not only is it smart, it's also the safest option; the internet is a playground for predators and scam artists.    

Pylon

Quote from: CCSE on March 24, 2008, 03:44:47 AM
We are all living in an age where privacy is considered a luxury; there is no longer such a thing as "too public."  This can be good in some instances, but in most it is bad.

The best one can do to prevent what is posted here from coming back to them is remain anonymous, don't reveal where you're from, don't reveal any personal information, and don't post any pictures of yourself.

Not only is it smart, it's also the safest option; the internet is a playground for predators and scam artists.     

I don't view this board being public as a bad thing at all.  I'd say the same things and share the same ideas and frustrations here as I would with anyone in my chain of command.  In fact, I would much rather have my postings here associated with my name and person than with some anonymous identity. 

I also don't view myself as particularly vulnerable to a predator or scam artist because my name is in my signature block and because there are photos of me on the internet.  YMMV.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: Pylon on March 24, 2008, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: CCSE on March 24, 2008, 03:44:47 AM

I don't view this board being public as a bad thing at all.  I'd say the same things and share the same ideas and frustrations here as I would with anyone in my chain of command.  In fact, I would much rather have my postings here associated with my name and person than with some anonymous identity. 

I also don't view myself as particularly vulnerable to a predator or scam artist because my name is in my signature block and because there are photos of me on the internet.  YMMV.

Like I said in my OP, publicity isn't necessarily a bad thing or a good thing depending on what venue it is, organization and what kind of content is being prominent on a web forum.