when is it too public?? Or too private?

Started by mynetdude, March 24, 2008, 12:25:22 AM

mynetdude

public visibility is great, and depending on the topics and content to be "held" would depend if all of it is public or partly private/public or all private.

I am sure this forum has its reasons for its public viewing without having to register and IMHO I'm not all sure that is exactly appropriate??? Of course we all know the rules of OPSEC/FOUO so anything that is not for public to read should not be stated on these forums anyway, however what if there is an opinion someone wants to make (and no I am not talking about backstabbing, calling someone stupid or other names because that would be against the CAP core values in the first place) we should be able to make opinions without getting railed at although that doesn't prevent/stop one from registering and doing the same thing.

Just remember, if this whole forum is so widely visible to the public, topics like the Medford cadets going to a town hall rally to perform color guard for Obama's speech yesterday is readable by non CAPers and other organizations they can look down upon us and I think we should/need to have these kind of discussions barring major public views.

I can see forums such as The Lobby, Playpen, Announcements, AE, Aviation & Flying, Tools of the trade and such being publicly readable however sensitive topics should be in closed forums so that the outside world can't make a mess of it IMHO.  Forums such as ES, Encampment, Cadet Programs and such should be a "closed door" type enviornment IMHO, that'd be me if I ran this site of course if NHQ runs this website then that is just really moot point.

MIKE

Honestly, keeping it wide open should keep people from getting stupid.  Emphasis on the should.  The vetting process for a truly private forum would be a royal PITA.  We had something like it with one of us having to go through and approve all the new account registrations.  It was annoying.
Mike Johnston

mynetdude

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 12:47:13 AM
Honestly, keeping it wide open should keep people from getting stupid.  Emphasis on the should.  The vetting process for a truly private forum would be a royal PITA.  We had something like it with one of us having to go through and approve all the new account registrations.  It was annoying.

You don't need to approve accounts, I don't know what forum software you use. The board itself would issue a "token" that you click on in an email and it validates.

I agree, having a wide open forum does keep people from getting stupid but that doesn't mean that said topic wasn't stupid it was just highly controversial... so it might not be a good idea for the public to see it however for those already involved in CAP would be enough and then if it got out to the public then it would be whoever did would be stupid?

I'm not saying I disagree with public forums, I just think there is too much of it.  Actually I like the idea of being able to show a non forum member a topic to show more than one person had ideas besides me :).

mikeylikey

The old Army Platoon Leader Forum back before 2002, was open and publicly viewable.  The Army took it over so that members had a place to actually get into the "down and dirty" of being a new Officer.  I could see something like that for CAP, but CAPTALK as it is now, seems to be a valuable tool open to the general public.  If we can recruit one new member per year because they found CAPTALK, that is a job well done to those that created this site.
What's up monkeys?

mynetdude

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 24, 2008, 12:51:10 AM
The old Army Platoon Leader Forum back before 2002, was open and publicly viewable.  The Army took it over so that members had a place to actually get into the "down and dirty" of being a new Officer.  I could see something like that for CAP, but CAPTALK as it is now, seems to be a valuable tool open to the general public.  If we can recruit one new member per year because they found CAPTALK, that is a job well done to those that created this site.

Again, we're not talking about a 100% private forum select forums would be kept private...  yes I know we are not allowed to talk about OPSEC/FOUO items/content but if you want to talk about the Kim search and some non CAPer sees it and wants to say something different... fine thats their problem not ours except that if it were private they couldn't.

Or maybe perhaps a new forum to discuss those "ify-sticky" topics, I'm not trying to imply we should hide anything.  If there is a topic like the VSAF uniforms and the VSAF itself I am sure NHQ saw/got word about what people were saying which prompted our esteemed national commander to put out a letter of clarification if it weren't for captalk I am sure.

I don't want to imply keeping anything from NHQ, because to our benefit having NHQ see what goes on here CAN fix problems that need fixing ASAP.

jb512

I think the PM function here serves that purpose well enough.  The good thing about keeping this forum wide open is that it should help people to think, research, and/or spell check before hitting the post button.  When someone throws something out that is in error with regulations or just ignorant they run the risk of being corrected by anyone and everyone.  There are a few in here who aren't too shy to do it.

I say keep it all open except for PMs so people will continue to police themselves before going public.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

jb512

Well yeah, that's true...  Like my last post you had to correct for me...

Thanks.  ;D

mynetdude

bah what a terrible thread then :(

I agree PMs are great for slapping someone you dislike I suppose.  Then again, they can just use that against you as well.

TBH even if you do all your research, proper spelling and get your facts right (or wrong without knowing) you are still setting yourself up to being corrected whether here on the forums (fine) and for REAL in your own unit at the echelon you are a member of.

MIKE

Abusive or inappropriate PMs can still be reported to an Admin though.  You are not immune.  Thought I should point that out.  ;D

Post nukers on the other hand...  >:(
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 01:29:10 AM

I agree PMs are great for slapping someone you dislike I suppose.  Then again, they can just use that against you as well.

TBH even if you do all your research, proper spelling and get your facts right (or wrong without knowing) you are still setting yourself up to being corrected whether here on the forums (fine) and for REAL in your own unit at the echelon you are a member of.

That's cool.  Whether it's here or at the unit level we all have a responsibility to be correct in our business.  When it comes to uniforms, operations, ES, etc., there are regs we have to follow rather than opinion of how things should be done.

mynetdude

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 01:33:37 AM
Abusive or inappropriate PMs can still be reported to an Admin though.  You are not immune.  Thought I should point that out.  ;D

Post nukers on the other hand...  >:(

Well I don't want to imply I would do that, at least there is a system in place.

mynetdude

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 24, 2008, 01:35:21 AM

That's cool.  Whether it's here or at the unit level we all have a responsibility to be correct in our business.  When it comes to uniforms, operations, ES, etc., there are regs we have to follow rather than opinion of how things should be done.

Well of course I would never substitute opinions for regulations ever because no one person has the same opinion and if your opinion of how it should be done is different than yours whether yours or his are right or wrong (or both depending on the situation) that may not be the best or correct way or perhaps it is BETTER than the correct way it still needs to be done within regulations.

That being said doesn't mean we can't have an opinion of how it should be done right? Otherwise the forum mods should just make a policy stating no opinions allowed?  I am in no way stating at any time regulation should not be followed EVEN if I think it should be done another way I don't see anything wrong with saying it should be done another way whether or not you like the regulation or not regs come first.

jb512

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 01:39:56 AM

Well of course I would never substitute opinions for regulations ever because no one person has the same opinion and if your opinion of how it should be done is different than yours whether yours or his are right or wrong (or both depending on the situation) that may not be the best or correct way or perhaps it is BETTER than the correct way it still needs to be done within regulations.

That being said doesn't mean we can't have an opinion of how it should be done right? Otherwise the forum mods should just make a policy stating no opinions allowed?  I am in no way stating at any time regulation should not be followed EVEN if I think it should be done another way I don't see anything wrong with saying it should be done another way whether or not you like the regulation or not regs come first.

That's not exactly what I meant.  Opinions of how you think things should be done are just fine.  When someone says they are doing something because they think that's how it's done when the regs say differently is the issue.

mynetdude

Quote from: jaybird512 on March 24, 2008, 01:41:44 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 01:39:56 AM

That's not exactly what I meant.  Opinions of how you think things should be done are just fine.  When someone says they are doing something because they think that's how it's done when the regs say differently is the issue.

If they want to tell everybody how they are doing it compared to what regs say should be done, fine let them and watch them get handed down from their CoC.  Certainly, I am not stupid enough to go telling everybody I am not following regulation if that were the case.

I suppose it is important to have your facts correct, but what if you determine after research or experience the facts are correct?? And as far as you know, they are correct until you get bit then they tell you the REAL facts?? And what if those facts aren't the real facts but an underlying of the real facts?

Nah now I worry too much

MIKE

It's always best to... Cite the [darn] reg!  Open up the PDF and copy and paste the cite between some attributed quote tags.
Mike Johnston

mynetdude

Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 01:49:38 AM
It's always best to... Cite the [darn] reg!  Open up the PDF and copy and paste the cite between some attributed quote tags.

I was talking about non regulation facts, but good point overall :)

jb512

Quote from: mynetdude on March 24, 2008, 01:50:29 AM
Quote from: MIKE on March 24, 2008, 01:49:38 AM

I was talking about non regulation facts, but good point overall :)

I guess you just go with what ya got.  If there's something that's not covered by a reg, then there's not much you can do to prove or disprove it...

Pylon

Our forum is open and indexed by search engines.  People should be aware of that.  Simply requiring people to sign up for an account doesn't prevent anybody's commander or somebody with ill will for CAP or the US to access the content of these forums. 

The forums were also never designed to be a back-room discussion board nor to facilitate sensitive discussions.  It is designed to be a public resource. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: Pylon on March 24, 2008, 02:17:21 AM
Our forum is open and indexed by search engines.  People should be aware of that.  Simply requiring people to sign up for an account doesn't prevent anybody's commander or somebody with ill will for CAP or the US to access the content of these forums. 

The forums were also never designed to be a back-room discussion board nor to facilitate sensitive discussions.  It is designed to be a public resource. 

Well like I said before, in no way would I suggest preventing sign up on a private or public venue for resources, information and such.

Eagle400

We are all living in an age where privacy is considered a luxury; there is no longer such a thing as "too public."  This can be good in some instances, but in most it is bad.

The best one can do to prevent what is posted here from coming back to them is remain anonymous, don't reveal where you're from, don't reveal any personal information, and don't post any pictures of yourself.

Not only is it smart, it's also the safest option; the internet is a playground for predators and scam artists.    

Pylon

Quote from: CCSE on March 24, 2008, 03:44:47 AM
We are all living in an age where privacy is considered a luxury; there is no longer such a thing as "too public."  This can be good in some instances, but in most it is bad.

The best one can do to prevent what is posted here from coming back to them is remain anonymous, don't reveal where you're from, don't reveal any personal information, and don't post any pictures of yourself.

Not only is it smart, it's also the safest option; the internet is a playground for predators and scam artists.     

I don't view this board being public as a bad thing at all.  I'd say the same things and share the same ideas and frustrations here as I would with anyone in my chain of command.  In fact, I would much rather have my postings here associated with my name and person than with some anonymous identity. 

I also don't view myself as particularly vulnerable to a predator or scam artist because my name is in my signature block and because there are photos of me on the internet.  YMMV.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mynetdude

Quote from: Pylon on March 24, 2008, 12:33:32 PM
Quote from: CCSE on March 24, 2008, 03:44:47 AM

I don't view this board being public as a bad thing at all.  I'd say the same things and share the same ideas and frustrations here as I would with anyone in my chain of command.  In fact, I would much rather have my postings here associated with my name and person than with some anonymous identity. 

I also don't view myself as particularly vulnerable to a predator or scam artist because my name is in my signature block and because there are photos of me on the internet.  YMMV.

Like I said in my OP, publicity isn't necessarily a bad thing or a good thing depending on what venue it is, organization and what kind of content is being prominent on a web forum.