Main Menu

Abuse of Power

Started by SeniorMember, August 07, 2016, 04:10:03 AM

SeniorMember

I have only been in CAP for 5 months.  I had an unpleasant conversation with an belligerent airport security person.  This occurred at an EAA Sponsored Event.  No CAP mission numbers, CAP authorizations, Aircraft, Vehicles, No one was wearing a uniform of any type.  My Squadron Commander  NAILED m with an LOR and promised it would just sit in my file.  He further threatened me with, "if I did not sign the LOR he would 2b me."  I signed the LOR.  Eight Days later I received a letter informing me he has initiated the 2b process on me.  WHAT DO I DO?  He has also banned me from talking to anyone about this issue.  :( :(  P.S. I was a Cadet from early 1977 to late 1979.

Okayish Aviator

Go up the chain around him if you don't feel it can be resolved at that level and feel he is abusing his power. I cant say I've heard of this happening often if at all...

He cant ban you from talking to anyone. If you feel your chain of command is treating you unfairly, the wing or region IG should be notified.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Holding Pattern

First, ignore any requests for more details asked by any member here. It won't help you, it will hurt you. Also, don't post any more details. It won't help you, it will hurt you.

Second, go here:

https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/complaints/

Carefully read that document and the attached regulation at the bottom in its entirety.

Note specifically from the page:

QuoteIn other words, if a squadron member has a complaint or grievance or suspects a fraud, waste or abuse problem exists, he/she should bring it to the attention of the unit commander.  If the problem directly involves the commander, then take it to the next higher commander (i.e. group commander).  The first person to contact is NOT the IG, a member of congress, the governor or the CAP National Commander.  Quite often the perceived problem is just a misunderstanding and can be easily corrected or explained.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reading the entirety of the regulation at the bottom of that page. You need to understand the process so that you don't lose because you didn't understand the process.

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out for the best.

EDIT: Oh yes, here is the definitions page that will be relevant to this as well: https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/complaint-definitions/

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on August 07, 2016, 04:21:12 AM
First, ignore any requests for more details asked by any member here. It won't help you, it will hurt you. Also, don't post any more details. It won't help you, it will hurt you.

Second, go here:

https://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/inspector_general/complaints/

Carefully read that document and the attached regulation at the bottom in its entirety.

Note specifically from the page:

QuoteIn other words, if a squadron member has a complaint or grievance or suspects a fraud, waste or abuse problem exists, he/she should bring it to the attention of the unit commander.  If the problem directly involves the commander, then take it to the next higher commander (i.e. group commander).  The first person to contact is NOT the IG, a member of congress, the governor or the CAP National Commander.  Quite often the perceived problem is just a misunderstanding and can be easily corrected or explained.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reading the entirety of the regulation at the bottom of that page. You need to understand the process so that you don't lose because you didn't understand the process.

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out for the best.

Nail on the head. All my luck to you.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

SeniorMember

The Group Commander is in the Squadron Commander's BACK POCKET.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SeniorMember on August 07, 2016, 04:32:14 AM
The Group Commander is in the Squadron Commander's BACK POCKET.

First, you need to revisit the first items I posted about adding more details.

Second, let's hypothetically say this is true. If so, it is entirely possible that this group commander will see the freight train known as an IG investigation coming his way and work with the commander to make the 2b disappear before that can happen.

Third, let's say that the above doesn't happen and that the group commander does something untoward. You AT THAT POINT go to the next level in the chain of command.

But you have to give the chain of command a shot first. Otherwise, your complaint will hold less water and fall on deaf ears.

As an aside, perceptions are not always reality.

SeniorMember

I reviewing my e-mails from the Group Commander he agrees that I am insubordinate for going up the Chain without asking permission.
:( :(

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SeniorMember on August 07, 2016, 05:03:35 AM
I reviewing my e-mails from the Group Commander he agrees that I am insubordinate for going up the Chain without asking permission.

Crickey! What part of "don't post any more details" don't you understand? You came here for advice, got some good advice, and immediately proceeded to disregard it - TWICE!

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

PHall

Senior Member, stop talking, stop posting. You are doing nothing but blowing your case to stay in CAP.
You were given good advice. Follow it.

BUT DO NOT POST HERE AGAIN . . .  You are not helping your case if you do.

Chappie

Quote from: PHall on August 07, 2016, 05:57:14 AM
Senior Member, stop talking, stop posting. You are doing nothing but blowing your case to stay in CAP.
You were given good advice. Follow it.

BUT DO NOT POST HERE AGAIN . . .  You are not helping your case if you do.

^^^. What he said.   :clap:
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Garibaldi

Please lock and ban. This is ridiculous.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

EMT-83

Lock? Ban? Has anyone violated the Membership Code of Conduct?

The OP is an adult. He can choose to follow the advice given. Or not.

PHall

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 08, 2016, 02:03:13 AM
Lock? Ban? Has anyone violated the Membership Code of Conduct?

The OP is an adult. He can choose to follow the advice given. Or not.

Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves.

JeffDG

Quote from: SeniorMember on August 07, 2016, 05:03:35 AM
If your Squadron/CC has initiated a 2B, then you have an automatic right to appeal to the Group Commander.  In no way is this bypassing the CoC.

If the Group/CC has already said that he agrees you're insubordinate before an appeal hearing, then I would suggest you write to the Group/CC and request that he recuse himself from hearing the appeal, as he has already made his mind up on the issue.  If he accepts, the Wing Commander will assign another Group Commander to handle the appeal.  If he doesn't, then keep documentation of what he said for an appeal to the MARP on the basis of lack of due process.

Holding Pattern

One of these days I'm going to make a CAP Complaint flowchart. I think this thread has demonstrated aptly the need for it.

JeffDG

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on August 08, 2016, 04:55:35 PM
One of these days I'm going to make a CAP Complaint flowchart. I think this thread has demonstrated aptly the need for it.
If a 2B has been initiated, there's already one in the regulation.

Flying Pig

Just use the screen name Flying Pig..... then you can post whatever you want.  That guy has total diplomatic immunity.   

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 08, 2016, 06:11:29 PM
Just use the screen name Flying Pig..... then you can post whatever you want.  That guy has total diplomatic immunity.

Because he has no diplomacy in the first place?  ;)

Semper Fi!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret