Main Menu

So quick to close

Started by CAPCom, November 11, 2018, 06:26:07 PM

CAPCom

Why are original post threads, such as this one, shut down so quickly? http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=23688.0

Seems to me they can generate good discussion and possibly be the catalyst that help will solve the issues brought up by the original poster.  Another one on civility was locked down pretty quickly a few days ago, as well.  There *is* a problem with incivility and bullying in this forum, and it needs to be not just addressed but discussed (as well as taken care of).  Closing down the threads that are discussing it do nothing but temporarily shut the door to the room where the proverbial elephant resides.  What good does that do?  I'm interested in hearing from the moderators and admins as to their reasoning. 

Jester

So you're into continuing threads that paint you specifically as the victim?

Luis R. Ramos

You do not need to address the moderators or administrators in a public forum. You can, but it will be up to them to answer.

You can send them private messages as well. Two of them are:

Pylon
SARDragon

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

CAPCom

My feeling on that is since they are operating and have power over a public forum, they should let us know (the public who posts here) what their rationale is.  I get that it's their forum, but since we're all kind of at their mercy, and - as someone already pointed out in one of the quickly closed threads - online ambassadors of CAP, talking about it publicly is good form.

arajca

Well, let's see about that particular thread...

There is threatening people on this board.
Admitting to having violations of the rules.

Those are the obvious reasons at a glance.

SarDragon

If there is not an obvious reason for locking an thread, we will add commentary in a final post.
As has been posted elsewhere, if anyone has further relevant discussion to a locked thread, report the final post with your justification. This will go to all the moderators, and the request will be considered.
Threads are frequently locked to stop seemingly endless bickering, and the "I'm right, you're wrong, you must change your view because I said so" arguments that go nowhere.
As for the Civility thread, several people asked that it be locked, so it was.

Regarding the thread linked in the OP, it started out as a negative, threatening rant and went downhill from there. CT is no place for that behaviour.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pace

This site has methods we employ to deal with a gambit of different situations. In the thread that I locked, the poster made it clear that the rules do not apply to him and that he will circumvent any ban placed on him. That, folks, will get you immediately and permanently banned. He was likely going to be banned also for stating that he was going to actively use the chain of command to ruin the CAP membership of anyone on here that attacked him. Besides the irony of his statement, that behavior will not be tolerated here. Feel free to direct any further questions here and I will be glad to address them openly. But if this thread devolves into personal attacks or inappropriate comments I will not hesitate to lock it.
Lt Col, CAP

CAPCom

The reasons you and Sardragon have given for shutting down that particular thread make sense.  Thanks for taking the time to explain.

TheSkyHornet

Can we please exercise a caution when using terms like "bullying" and "hazing."

Hazing
Hazing is any conduct whereby someone causes another person to suffer or to be exposed to any activity that is cruel, abusive, humiliating, oppressive, demeaning, or harmful.  Questions of hazing often pertain to the intensity level of military-style training in Cadet Programs. Training intensity is evaluated in context. For example, a training intensity that is too stern and demanding for a unit meeting may be appropriate at an encampment.

Bullying
For the purposes of the CPP (Cadet Protection Program), CAP considers bullying to be a form of misconduct sometimes exhibited by adolescents that falls short of abuse by not causing serious harm under the definition above.

Federal Definition. Borrowing from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' StopBullying.gov program, CAP defines bullying as "Unwanted, aggressive behavior among cadets that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes making threats, spreading rumors, and attacking someone physically or verbally."

Apply the same logic to the treatment of adults in replacement of "cadets"

Slim

Quote from: Pace on November 11, 2018, 10:28:40 PM
This site has methods we employ to deal with a gambit of different situations. In the thread that I locked, the poster made it clear that the rules do not apply to him and that he will circumvent any ban placed on him. That, folks, will get you immediately and permanently banned. He was likely going to be banned also for stating that he was going to actively use the chain of command to ruin the CAP membership of anyone on here that attacked him. Besides the irony of his statement, that behavior will not be tolerated here. Feel free to direct any further questions here and I will be glad to address them openly. But if this thread devolves into personal attacks or inappropriate comments I will not hesitate to lock it.

Not questioning methods or anything, but...

In one post, he's done all of the above, plus admitting to having multiple user accounts (which is, IIRC, a violation), as well as admitting to having knowledge and skills to further subvert any blocks/bans administered, and at least one willful subversion of the dirty word filter.

So, why is he still here?

Slim

Pace

Not questioning methods or anything, but...

In one post, he's done all of the above, plus admitting to having multiple user accounts (which is, IIRC, a violation), as well as admitting to having knowledge and skills to further subvert any blocks/bans administered, and at least one willful subversion of the dirty word filter.

So, why is he still here?

Herman_Snerd has been permanently banned.
Lt Col, CAP

Slim

Quote from: Pace on November 12, 2018, 09:07:16 PM
Herman_Snerd has been permanently banned.
Gotcha.  I was expecting his forum rank to have been changed to "Banned", but no biggie.

Slim

Pace

I can't change members' rank. That requires an admin.
Lt Col, CAP