Main Menu

ABU Wear Test

Started by winterg, December 11, 2015, 05:44:27 PM

coudano

grindstaff2000

This is an official test. All wing commanders received this email today. (Different boots are intentionally )
To All Members of the Command Council and the National Staff:

For some time now there has been a lot of discussion about Civil Air Patrol transitioning to a new utility uniform, due to several issues with the current BDU. One option was for us to seek approval to transition to the ABU. In the past, the decision was made to delay transitioning to the ABU for many reasons. Recent events have made it possible for us to reconsider that decision.

Currently, the National Uniform Committee has been examining the possibility of transitioning to the ABU uniform, and what a CAP specific ABU might look like. As part of that proposal, there will be wear tests conducted by some members. Many of you may have seen a photograph circling around the Internet that shows two CAP Officers wearing one prototype of the ABU uniform.

I would like to  assure you all that these wear tests will be very limited in scope, and have been approved by CAP-USAF and the National Commander for the specific purpose of testing the viability of a CAP ABU.

We are in the very early stages of this proposal. There is absolutely no guarantee that CAP will pursue the option to transition to a version of the ABU. As such, I would caution you against purchasing any ABU items until such time as a final decision is made.

Please share this information with your subordinate commanders

PHall

Quote from: grindstaff2000 on December 12, 2015, 03:43:34 AM
This is an official test. All wing commanders received this email today. (Different boots are intentionally )
To All Members of the Command Council and the National Staff:

For some time now there has been a lot of discussion about Civil Air Patrol transitioning to a new utility uniform, due to several issues with the current BDU. One option was for us to seek approval to transition to the ABU. In the past, the decision was made to delay transitioning to the ABU for many reasons. Recent events have made it possible for us to reconsider that decision.

Currently, the National Uniform Committee has been examining the possibility of transitioning to the ABU uniform, and what a CAP specific ABU might look like. As part of that proposal, there will be wear tests conducted by some members. Many of you may have seen a photograph circling around the Internet that shows two CAP Officers wearing one prototype of the ABU uniform.

I would like to  assure you all that these wear tests will be very limited in scope, and have been approved by CAP-USAF and the National Commander for the specific purpose of testing the viability of a CAP ABU.

We are in the very early stages of this proposal. There is absolutely no guarantee that CAP will pursue the option to transition to a version of the ABU. As such, I would caution you against purchasing any ABU items until such time as a final decision is made.

Please share this information with your subordinate commanders

Yeah, you're the third person to post this in this thread.  Maybe read the whole thread before you hit the post button?

RiverAux

I agree that "wear testing" a proven uniform is a bit silly especially when some of your testers are CAP Colonels, a grade that isn't known for doing a lot of hard time in the field. 

It is certainly appropriate to order up some different variations of insignia, etc. and actually put them on some ABUs to see how they look in person, but wearing them at a public event where all the other CAP people will be wearing different uniforms seems like a bad idea from a public affairs point of view. 

Garibaldi

So I'm seeing that wing patches wouldn't be worn. Is this correct, or just part of the many types of tests they're running with regards to color of insignia, boots, and such?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RiverAux

Could be from a wing that doesn't require it now anyway...

NC Hokie

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 12, 2015, 01:54:17 PM
So I'm seeing that wing patches wouldn't be worn. Is this correct, or just part of the many types of tests they're running with regards to color of insignia, boots, and such?

I believe that the gentlemen in question are region commanders, so they probably wouldn't wear a wing patch in any uniform.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Garibaldi

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 12, 2015, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on December 12, 2015, 01:54:17 PM

I believe that the gentlemen in question are region commanders, so they probably wouldn't wear a wing patch in any uniform.

Oh, da-doy...

PHall

Well, if they follow the Air Force's lead, there won't be any patches. And I for one won't miss them either.

goblin

Explain the point of a wear test

Garibaldi

Quote from: Goblin on December 12, 2015, 05:19:24 PM
Explain the point of a wear test

To evaluate the feasibility, utility, and visual representation of the uniform among our peers fellows in the ABU.

goblin

lordmonar

Quote from: Goblin on December 12, 2015, 05:46:02 PM
That's a stretch.
Why do YOU think they did the wear test?  Because his answer sounded spot on to me.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: arajca on December 11, 2015, 09:57:19 PM
Disregarding the whole ABU issue, there is no reason why these particular officers should be wearing a working uniform to a ceremonial activity at Arlington. PERIOD. They are not cadets who have not received their blues yet. >:(

This was from the Project Manager for today's event.

Quote from:  WAA Project Manager AnnouncementYou are cordially invited to observe our Nation Commander, Major General Joseph R. Vazquez, lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.

Maj Gen Vazquez will lay the wreath beginning at 3:15 pm on Saturday, December 12, 2015. Please arrive at the Tomb by 2:55 pm so you can be in place and guarantee yourself a good spot to watch the world-renowned "Changing of the Guard" by the Tomb Sentinels!

An appropriate uniform for this event at our nation's "Most Sacred Shrine" is the USAF-style service dress uniform, or the CAP Corporate equivalent.

If you volunteered to work at the Wreaths Across America mission earlier in the day, you may choose to wear your USAF-style BDUs or CAP Working Uniform if you are unable to bring your dress uniform. If you wish to attend in civilian clothing, you are welcome to do so as long as it is good taste.

NIN

Quote from: coudano on December 12, 2015, 03:01:29 AM
*I* would like the digitals!!!

You know, if anybody saved that video, NOW would be the time to bring it out.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

Should and it's a big stretch should go to ABU's please do not change the t-shirt or boot colors.  Plus this wear test should have encompassed a mix of membership and not just Colonels (this may have happened but no documentation to back it up). 

THRAWN

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 12, 2015, 11:40:47 PM
Should and it's a big stretch should go to ABU's please do not change the t-shirt or boot colors.  Plus this wear test should have encompassed a mix of membership and not just Colonels (this may have happened but no documentation to back it up).

Agree it should have been a wider mix of membership. Are you saying that we should stick with black boots? I second...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Quote from: THRAWN on December 12, 2015, 11:48:15 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on December 12, 2015, 11:40:47 PM

Agree it should have been a wider mix of membership. Are you saying that we should stick with black boots? I second...

Sir,

That is exactly what I am saying.  The sage boots do not hold up as well and good quality boots are expensive.  I have gone through 3 pairs of sage boots since I started wearing them regularly since Oct 11.  Black boots and t-shirts should stay,  looks 10x better IMO and provides enough distinctness and contrast with it to set us apart.  Plus our costs outside the uniform in and of itself are kept to a min. 

If it was up to me I'd have the following with ABU

Unit Caps
Black Belt
Black Boots
Black T-Shirt

This provides enough distinctiveness to set us apart from the AF while still wearing the current AF working uniform.  I have said numerous times in my career going away from black boots and t-shirts was a horrible idea and at the very minimum the AF should have stuck with the sand/coyote colored boots. 

THRAWN

You had me until the sand colored boots. I wear them and there is not a second thay I dont miss my blacks. I think you may be on to something with the colors though. Who ever decided on this generations boots needs to be sent to the Russian Front...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Quote from: THRAWN on December 13, 2015, 12:38:16 AM
You had me until the sand colored boots. I wear them and there is not a second thay I dont miss my blacks. I think you may be on to something with the colors though. Who ever decided on this generations boots needs to be sent to the Russian Front...

I prefer the black over the sand however since the powers to be for Ma Blue changed things.  Sticking with sand for the ABU would have been a better choice all across the board.