Main Menu

Goodbye Friends

Started by CAPDCCMOM, April 29, 2017, 05:32:22 PM

CAPDCCMOM

This will be my last post.  I am resigning from the Civil Air Patrol.  There is still much good about this program and I will miss those things. However, the politics , and a sell out, just sealed it for me.

Blue skies to you all. I will miss the fun and banter here. For old time sakes, someone start up a farewell uniform argument. What to wear while filling out your 2b. 

I will return as a concerned parent, under a new name.

Brad

Considered a transition to Patron Member so you can still support the program as a whole and participate in a secondary status such as at conferences, the Volunteer magazine, etc?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

almostspaatz

Quote from: Brad on April 29, 2017, 06:36:07 PM
Considered a transition to Patron Member so you can still support the program as a whole and participate in a secondary status such as at conferences, the Volunteer magazine, etc?

Ditto, your support can still make a difference even if you choose to not continue as a volunteer.

Also, I would recommend the ABU...but if you are feeling sentimental the old BDUs will suit....

Thanks for all your hard work! Best wishes wherever you go :clap:
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Chappie

Quote from: Brad on April 29, 2017, 06:36:07 PM

An excellent suggestion....rather than resigning, stay low under the radar and wait out the turmoil that you are experiencing.  I have seen cycles within CAP.  The rough times do not last forever.  What is right will prevail...eventually.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Spam

Hey there, "Mom":

You've brought humanity and compassion to bear in all your posts here. You've doubtless brought light and warmth into the CAP experience of the cadets within your sphere. While I can't advise you to suck it up or cut your losses (you have to decide for yourself and for yours) I want to express my thanks for the time you've put into CAP to date.

Please - think of it as an investment. Some percentage of our investments are lost in the natural rise and fall of the markets. Yet... the smart money stays in the market, long term. The cadets you've invested your time and sweat into, are that long term bet. Their reflection of your mentorship will LONG OUTLAST the petty politics and "local politics".

FYI (for what its worth) I've thought about quitting on average every five years over the past 35 or so years. I've found that taking a step back and taking a break for 3 to 4 months works wonders, without losing the investments of years. Given that CAP is an amalgam of the politics of a homeowners association, crossed with a dysfunctional JROTC, coupled with a ceremony-loving VFW unit... some infrequent vacations from CAP keep you sane and centered. You might want to consider that before punching out. PM me if you'd like to talk (willing to invest the time here!).

Best to you (stay, or go),
Spam

PS, as you request, the uniform. First, don't wear anything denigrating the USAF style uniforms. Personally, were I to turn in a resignation letter, I'd go with the "hot girlfriend breakup mode", aka "Wayne, if you're not careful you're gonna lose me". You could wear every ribbon and qual badge you ever earned as you hand in your resignation, printed out in triplicate with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one detailing why the unit sucks and why they're losing the best woman they've ever dreamed of. Of course, you could make that a constructive parting shot, with advice to higher as to why you're quitting.

But I hope you won't do that. I hope you'll take a break for sanity, then reengage to continue to support the cadets.

Thonawit

CAPDCMOM – You will be missed, as always you know how to get a hold of me.

A little bit of background. CAPDCMOM and I have been CAP members for about the same time and joined for the same reason, Our Kids. We met a couple of years ago at a Surplus store while hunting for BDU's for our kids. I ended up giving her an almost complete Class "B" uniform for her kid (My first stop of the day was at the Base Thrift store. I was amazed how far $20 went). We are both from small Squadrons in rural towns. (Actually we met at a bar after we dropped off our kids at encampment)

When CAPDCMOM joined cap, she and her Husband joined a squadron that was on the verge of death with a nonexistent Cadet Program. She also unknowingly walked into a snakepit of political problems due to poor leadership. With no Training/Mentorship CAPDCMOM took the CADET program from nothing to something outstanding. After 1 year she received an Outstanding from the Air Force after a Unit Climate Assessment, I have a copy of the 2.5 page write up from the Air Force (typically the Air Force does not do that for a climate assessment). 2 years into her time with CAP, Her Cadet Program received 2 Outstanding's during the UNIT SUI. She did this in the face of the Bad Politics at Wing Level. I know the people at wing she has had problems with, our Squadron has had similar problems with the same people.

A few days ago, I got a call from CAPDCMOMs husband telling me about the events of the day and that She was in a bad place, yesterday My Wife and I meet with CAPDCMOM and her husband (Because of CAP our two families have become good friends, we live about 150 miles apart).  Once we started talking about the situation, I saw it her spirit in CAP (something she truly believed in) was destroyed. It was destroyed by Wing Level members (and their own political agenda) and her Commander who is ignorant. (I have a ton of respect for their Squadron Commander, he is a good leader but he blew it with respect to the situation.)
CAP is losing a great asset. CAPDCMOM never took "that's the way we have always done that" as an answer. CAPDCMOM is a champion for her CADETS. CAPDCMOM, You will be missed.

Our wing motto: Core Values, What are those, do we need them?
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Chappie

Thank you for the background on and being a friend to CAPDCCMOM.  Saddened to see/read the events that transpired.

Have always appreciated the thoughtful posts by CAPDCCMOM as a member and trust to see her input under a different name. 

Chappie

Quote from: Spam on April 30, 2017, 07:31:55 AM
Hey there, "Mom":

You've brought humanity and compassion to bear in all your posts here. You've doubtless brought light and warmth into the CAP experience of the cadets within your sphere. While I can't advise you to suck it up or cut your losses (you have to decide for yourself and for yours) I want to express my thanks for the time you've put into CAP to date.

Please - think of it as an investment. Some percentage of our investments are lost in the natural rise and fall of the markets. Yet... the smart money stays in the market, long term. The cadets you've invested your time and sweat into, are that long term bet. Their reflection of your mentorship will LONG OUTLAST the petty politics and "local politics".

FYI (for what its worth) I've thought about quitting on average every five years over the past 35 or so years. I've found that taking a step back and taking a break for 3 to 4 months works wonders, without losing the investments of years. Given that CAP is an amalgam of the politics of a homeowners association, crossed with a dysfunctional JROTC, coupled with a ceremony-loving VFW unit... some infrequent vacations from CAP keep you sane and centered. You might want to consider that before punching out. PM me if you'd like to talk (willing to invest the time here!).

Best to you (stay, or go),
Spam

PS, as you request, the uniform. First, don't wear anything denigrating the USAF style uniforms. Personally, were I to turn in a resignation letter, I'd go with the "hot girlfriend breakup mode", aka "Wayne, if you're not careful you're gonna lose me". You could wear every ribbon and qual badge you ever earned as you hand in your resignation, printed out in triplicate with twenty-seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on the back of each one detailing why the unit sucks and why they're losing the best woman they've ever dreamed of. Of course, you could make that a constructive parting shot, with advice to higher as to why you're quitting.

But I hope you won't do that. I hope you'll take a break for sanity, then reengage to continue to support the cadets.

^^^What he said :)