Main Menu

"Just get a cadet to do it"

Started by Horn229, April 07, 2006, 03:30:42 AM

Horn229

Ever heard this annoying comment? For months now I've been dealing with a senior member who has to make this comment everytime there's a cadet in same room as him. I'll admit, the first time was funny, the second time I chuckled to be polite, but the last few hundred times are really pushing my nerves.

The whole mentality of "get a cadet to do it" seems to imply free labor, and that they have no choice but to do it because they hold the title of senior member, and should you dare decline from the tasking, you're just a bratty little kid. Last night I was at a CAP function, and before the meeting was set to begin I overheard this same senior member say "Oh just get a cadet to do that, there's one right there" and then he pointed to me.

Now please don't take the post wrong, I have no problem doing physical tasks for people, that is if they ask me first. Sure there's the whole grade + order = I do what I'm told deal, but there's a limit to where this goes. I'm very relaxed with almost all of the seniors in my wing, in fact I could most likely go around calling 'em by their first name, and only about 3 would catch on to the fact that I'm a cadet addressing Lt Col's by their first name. That's just how good our working relationship is (that and they've probably never heard of the CAPP 151 ;D ).

But last night when the same guy made the comment again, it was all I could do to keep my mouth shut and not shut him down for his flagrant hazistic attitude towards cadets. Sure, part of his comment is meant as a joke, but I'm now realizing that this guy actually thinks cadets are there to do the bidding of senior members.

Ah, now that my little rant is over, are there any comments/suggestions on how to deal with this problem? I'm thinking I'll just go to his supervisor or a CP guy and let them sort out this attitude, but I'd like to get some feedback first. Thanks

edit: fixing typo's.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Pace

Have you tried talking to him about it, and let him know that cadets are not there to serve senior members.  If you've done this already or have a good reason for not wanting to, talk to the CP folks or (since you have such a great working relationship with these people), just go directly to his command and (tactfully) raise hell.

[Cadets - besides C/Maj Horn - stop reading now]Yeah, that'll work...

When I was a cadet and faced senior members like this around the wing, I would politely inform them that I wasn't their cheap labor or their maid.  Don't get me wrong.  There were countless times when I did menial tasks when asked to do so by senior members; however, it was always when the senior members were too busy taking care of their portion of the mission (whatever that was at the time) to do the tasks themselves.  The one I smarted off to was the one sitting around doing nothing and who thought that cadets were there to do the jobs he felt he was too good to do.  I only had this problem with 1 senior member.  After I called him on his BS a few times, he stopped.
Lt Col, CAP

Horn229

Quote from: dcpacemaker on April 07, 2006, 03:59:53 AM
Have you tried talking to him about it, and let him know that cadets are not there to serve senior members.  If you've done this already or have a good reason for not wanting to, talk to the CP folks or (since you have such a great working relationship with these people), just go directly to his command and (tactfully) raise hell.

To an extent, yes. To the point of pushing the limit of my really getting the point accross? No.

Quote[Cadets - besides C/Maj Horn - stop reading now]Yeah, that'll work...

When I was a cadet and faced senior members like this around the wing, I would politely inform them that I wasn't their cheap labor or their maid.  Don't get me wrong.  There were countless times when I did menial tasks when asked to do so by senior members; however, it was always when the senior members were too busy taking care of their portion of the mission (whatever that was at the time) to do the tasks themselves.  The one I smarted off to was the one sitting around doing nothing and who thought that cadets were there to do the jobs he felt he was too good to do.  I only had this problem with 1 senior member.  After I called him on his BS a few times, he stopped.

Ya, out of 8 years in CAP I've only ever had this problem with this one senior member. Funny thing is, when he made the comment this last time, he was walking around the room bored out of his mind, not doing anything himself either.

Nick

I'm just curiously nosy... what's this dude's job in your squadron?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

shorning

Quote from: mclarty on April 07, 2006, 05:21:30 AM

Dude, he's the Justgetacadettodoit Officer!  Surely you've seen that position in 20-1. ;D

BTW...can I get a cadet to do my homework for me? ;)

Nick

Quote from: shorning on April 07, 2006, 05:45:08 AM
Dude, he's the Justgetacadettodoit Officer!  Surely you've seen that position in 20-1. ;D

BTW...can I get a cadet to do my homework for me? ;)

Doh!  My bad... I shoulda known that.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

dwb

I've only seen that phrase used for things that cadets are usually better at anyway.

For example: "SM Smith's new uniform looks like a soup sandwich.  Get a cadet over here to square him away!"

That generally doesn't work for me, because I always point out uniform infractions on cadets.  But for less experienced senior members, cadets are handy to have around for things they have a better grasp on.

Of course, treating cadets like laborers is disrespectful; I was just trying to show a positive use of the phrase.

Horn229

I sent you a PM with the answer, as I'm doing my best to not let that on in this thread. But for everyone else here, let's just say he has a job for where he never interacts with cadets, ever.

Pylon

Quote from: Horn229 on April 07, 2006, 12:39:37 PM
... let's just say he has a job for where he never interacts with cadets, ever.

No interaction with cadets?  Hmm... Well, if how some squadrons are run is any indication, then, he's probably the Deputy Commander for Cadets.  ;)

I keed, I keed...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Nathan

Quote from: Pylon on April 07, 2006, 12:51:56 PM
No interaction with cadets?  Hmm... Well, if how some squadrons are run is any indication, then, he's probably the Deputy Commander for Cadets.  ;)

I keed, I keed...

Oh, you may keed, but that doesn't make it untrue... :o
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Becks

Perhaps you could voice your opinion to another SM, your DCC for instance. I understand you dont want to cross the line, and even if you did straight out tell him he may not even listen to you given that youre a cadet (based off what I can tell from his current opinion of cadets).  He may be more likely to listen to a peer and this way youre not overstepping your bounds but rather taking your complaint up the chain of command.  Keep us updated.

Edit: Didnt see this when I read your post, guess I missed it :)
Quote from: Horn229 on April 07, 2006, 03:30:42 AM
I'm thinking I'll just go to his supervisor or a CP guy and let them sort out this attitude, but I'd like to get some feedback first. Thanks

Good luck, I hope this works out, I know I had the same peeve when I was a cadet (still dont like to hear it for that matter).

BBATW

Pace

Quote from: Horn229 on April 07, 2006, 12:39:37 PM

I sent you a PM with the answer, as I'm doing my best to not let that on in this thread. But for everyone else here, let's just say he has a job for where he never interacts with cadets, ever.

Oh, he must be the KKO.  ;D
Lt Col, CAP

mikeylikey

If he has no interaction with cadets and says "just get a cadet to do it", the problem is not him, it is with the person who ACTUALLY GETS THE CADET TO DO IT.  IF it is you, SHAME on you, if it is another cadet, square that person away.  If it is another Senior Member, go to the Commander.  Just because your a cadet, does not mean you can't voice your concerns of other Senior Members.  I have no tolerance for not wanting to the job you are there to do.
What's up monkeys?