Main Menu

The Chuck Yeagar Award

Started by flyguy06, January 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AM

Eclipse

Actually, wasn't its a "closed-book" corrected to 100%?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 03:13:15 AM
Eclipse, I dont know if you are into aviation or not but most folks that are know that the Airbus has been out for many years. The 777 and the 787 Dreamliner are the "new" wow airplanes in the commerical market

And just exactly what does that have to do with the broad subject at hand?

If the book is so out of date, how do you propose to fund a new addition? We're having trouble keeping vital regs up to date, without getting into a book the size of the aerospace text.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 03:21:03 AM

I believe that's correct, but only if you had a passing score to start with.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Senior

The Yeager was a closed book test back in early 90's.  At the time
the Yeager test was very similar to the Aerospace Portion of the Spaatz Test.  If you passed the Spaatz, the Yeager was easy.  As I
recall the Seniors at the time had to study because of all the material
covered.  I am not a big proponent of "on-line" because it becomes
just another box checked with little or no comprehension/learning. 

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 03:13:15 AM
Eclipse, I dont know if you are into aviation or not but most folks that are know that the Airbus has been out for many years. The 777 and the 787 Dreamliner are the "new" wow airplanes in the commerical market

It doesn't matter if I know, only that Google knows.

That's the point.

Quote from: Senior on January 25, 2010, 04:00:55 AMI am not a big proponent of "on-line" because it becomes just another box checked with little or no comprehension/learning.

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: SarDragon on January 25, 2010, 03:32:57 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 03:21:03 AM

I believe that's correct, but only if you had a passing score to start with.

Took my Yeager 5-6 yrs ago, open book all the way....

PHall

Quote from: Senior on January 25, 2010, 04:00:55 AM
The Yeager was a closed book test back in early 90's.  At the time
the Yeager test was very similar to the Aerospace Portion of the Spaatz Test.  If you passed the Spaatz, the Yeager was easy.  As I
recall the Seniors at the time had to study because of all the material
covered.  I am not a big proponent of "on-line" because it becomes
just another box checked with little or no comprehension/learning.

If you passed the Mitchell, the Yeager was easy.

DBlair

Just a suggestion...

Have Kinkos print the .pdf file of the certificate on non-glossy cardstock. (Bring them the .pdf file to print, don't just make a copy of the one you printed) The way their machines print and when using cardstock, it makes it look much nicer and more professional than just printing it at home. For under $1, its really worth the difference. I do this with any .pdf certificates I receive or present.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

flyguy06

At any rate. Thank you for everyones advice on my question.

flyboy53

Did anyone tell you congrats!

Completion means that you have an AE frame of reference that could be used to mentor cadets. By the way, your next step is to pursue a master rating in AE. Completion of those exams and various requirements leading to the master rating will entitle you for the Scott Crossfield Award.

One other note, it WAS a closed book exam in the 1990s when I first earned my award as a member of Mass. Wing. That wing, by the way, held weekend seminars then at Westover AFB where participants were walked though the curriculum in order to pass the test. Boy, have things changed. My group had 14...all of whom passed the test.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 26, 2010, 10:16:23 PM
Completion means that you have an AE frame of reference that could be used to mentor cadets. By the way, your next step is to pursue a master rating in AE. Completion of those exams and various requirements leading to the master rating will entitle you for the Scott Crossfield Award.

The Crossfield Award is an annual award by nomination and is only open to teachers.  It not a normal progression of members on the AE track.

(1) Qualifications: Nominees must be Civil Air Patrol members, senior member or aerospace education member (AEM), and certified classroom teachers from grades kindergarten through twelve from any public, private, or parochial school. Nominees must either teach aerospace education* as a subject or use aerospace education to enrich the teaching of traditional subjects.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2010, 10:26:09 PM

The Crossfield Award is an annual award by nomination and is only open to teachers.  It not a normal progression of members on the AE track.

(1) Qualifications: Nominees must be Civil Air Patrol members, senior member or aerospace education member (AEM), and certified classroom teachers from grades kindergarten through twelve from any public, private, or parochial school. Nominees must either teach aerospace education* as a subject or use aerospace education to enrich the teaching of traditional subjects.

Quote from: CAPR 39-3
17. The A. Scott Crossfield Award. Awarded by
National Headquarters to members who have earned the
master level rating in the aerospace education specialty
track and served as aerospace education officer.

Eclipse

So which is it?

Are there two?

"That Others May Zoom"

flyboy53

It's the Item 17 from CAPR 39-3. Also, look at Block III on a Form 2A. Look at a CAP Ribbon Chart and you will see a light blue and gray ribbon after the Yeager or AEPSM Award. That's the A. Scott Crossfield Award. If you have an AEO who earns a master rating, you complete the Form 2A and submit it through channels to NHQ where a certificate is printed for appropriate presentation.

The difference between the two is that the Yeager shows up in e-services, the A. Scott Crossfield won't....just like the Brewer Memorial Award won't. It's just a certificate as well.

So, an AEO can earn as many as two ribbons in addition to devices on a speciality badge.

I've also long been a strong advocate that AEOs complete observer training if they were not already pilots. Those wings give an AEO a level of creditility and a viable mission skill.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2010, 10:49:51 PM
So which is it?

Are there two?

In a word, yes. I had to look it all up at my unit to clarify the confusion.

There's an award for teachers, and also the CAP PD award.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2010, 10:26:09 PM

I think you mean the Brewer award and there are several catagories for it.

There is also the CAP AE teacher of the year adn CAP AE officer of the year awards.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Nope, the info is correct as posted in the quote.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

By the way, I found this in the NB minutes from Aug 2008.

QuoteThe Crown Circle and A. Scott Crossfield AE Teacher of the Year awards are no longer
handled by Civil Air Patrol and should be deleted from consideration.

flyboy53

I should have said from the beginning that I'm a wing-level AE type. That's why I knew about the two awards.

This talk about the two ribbons has been good. The fact that there are two PD-type awards only shows how important the AE program is. Afterall, it is an AF-assigned mission and has such a tremendous impact on youth.

So now if I just challenge all of you to take AE seriously and strive to achieve the Yeager; if you haven't already. Then consider going through the AE speciality track to achieve the A. Scott Crossfield Award. You won't regret it and might enjoy being a fellow "Space Cadet."

Also, I find AE subjects and lesson plans an easier way to get into the schools. I'm working with one school now that is using the CAP AEX Program to keep kids interested during study halls.

Thanx again for completing the Yeager!

flyguy06

Did anyone tell you congrats!

One other note, it WAS a closed book exam in the 1990s when I first earned my award as a member of Mass. Wing. That wing, by the way, held weekend seminars then at Westover AFB where participants were walked though the curriculum in order to pass the test. Boy, have things changed. My group had 14...all of whom passed the test.

Thanks flyboy1,

No,i didnt know about the Scott Crossfield award. But dont Ineed to get the technician and Senior level ratings first b4 I can work onthe masters rating? I'd love to geta Masters rating in AE. You need at least two masters level ratings in a primary mission to get the OE I think. This awrd will help me get the masters in CP