Main Menu

The Chuck Yeagar Award

Started by flyguy06, January 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AM

flyguy06

Ok, so I just took th eonline Yeagar award and passed it. What else do I need to do in order to get the Yeagar award?

davidsinn

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AM
Ok, so I just took th eonline Yeagar award and passed it. What else do I need to do in order to get the Yeagar award?

About 70 cents? ;D Check with your wing. In mine all you do is take it online and that's it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BuckeyeDEJ

You passed the online Yeager exam? Here's what you need to do.

Print the certificate you receive afterward, then send it to me along with a $40 processing fee. I'll send you an exact color copy of your certificate that you can frame along with the original you sent me.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Truth is, you have the award. It shows up automatically in e-Services once you pass. I'll still take your $40, though.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

I'll provide a high-resolution scan of the certificate, along with a RIBBON for only $30! (plus $2.00 for shipping and handling).

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguy06

So, all you gotta do is take a 100 question test? I thought there would be alittle more too it than that. Its a requirement to get a masters rating in CAdetPrograms and to complete Level IV. I thought it would be moe indepth, but whatever. Thanks for the replies guys.

RiverAux

Anyone notice that under the color coded system in Commanders Dashboard that CAP thinks your wing is doing a great job if only something like 12% of your seniors have received this award?  Pretty low expectations. 

raivo

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AMOk, so I just took th eonline Yeagar award and passed it. What else do I need to do in order to get the Yeagar award?

Know how to spell "Yeager" correctly. ;)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

flyguy06

Quote from: raivo on January 25, 2010, 12:58:55 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 12:21:01 AMOk, so I just took th eonline Yeagar award and passed it. What else do I need to do in order to get the Yeagar award?

Know how to spell "Yeager" correctly. ;)

God, I wish you were in my army unit.  ;)

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 12:55:10 AM
So, all you gotta do is take a 100 question test?

Its not exactly the prestigious, study-group-level, achievement it used to be...

This is what happens when you make something online, open-book, no proctor, as is also being evidenced by people flying through the OBC.   :(

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

What if it's just members doing better due to better knowledge? I spent under 10 minutes on my Mitchell and 15 for the Earhart. Closed book, no help, just me.

Does that mean that the Earhart is no longer as prestigious because I took it in under the allotted hour?

BuckeyeDEJ

When I took the exam, I did it cold-turkey on a whim. Almost nothing in that test wasn't something I didn't have when I was a cadet, so I greased through it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on January 25, 2010, 01:12:46 AM
What if it's just members doing better due to better knowledge? I spent under 10 minutes on my Mitchell and 15 for the Earhart. Closed book, no help, just me.

Does that mean that the Earhart is no longer as prestigious because I took it in under the allotted hour?

No, it means that you knew the material.

The OBC can now be completed by someone with no knowledge of CAP in an hour or two.  Cadet tests will be the same way - cadets will pile up on the milestones and then we will wonder why they do so well online but not closed book.

For anyone interested in aviation, pilots, etc., the Yeager wasn't "rocket science" to start with (ok, it literally was, but from a different angle), allowing members to take the test online, open book, just means you don't have to think about it for 20 seconds before the test, and never again after.

Its always been an open book test - the AE book only - and it used to be as much a team-building experience as a test of AE knowledge.
That's "old school" now.

Click - search - click - search - click (already knew that one), rinse repeat, done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

Agreed.  There was nothing on the Yeager test I didn't already know before I joined CAP.

Save the triangle thingy

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 01:06:57 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 12:55:10 AM
So, all you gotta do is take a 100 question test?

Its not exactly the prestigious, study-group-level, achievement it used to be...

This is what happens when you make something online, open-book, no proctor, as is also being evidenced by people flying through the OBC.   :(
I agree. Not challenging atall. Its an online openbook test. And its the same stuff I did as a cadet in CAP. Dont get me wrong. it was interesting. I learned that Russia had the first female "combat" pilots. But yeah, i agree OBC needs to be a heck of a lot more than just an online course.

On another note though, the AEROSPACE: The Journey of Flight needs to be updated. They said the Airbus was the latest andgreatest in commercial aviation. that was sooooo long ago.

flyguy06

All these folks bragging about how easy it was. it was an open book test. Who cares if you did it in 10 minutes or three hours. All you gotta do is look up the answers.

iagree it was better when it was a team building event and you did it as a grouip. CAP is becomming an organization of online testers and users. Pretty soon we will be doing everything online. Imagine no more weekly meetings just say what you gotta sayin a chat room and email.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 02:35:54 AM
On another note though, the AEROSPACE: The Journey of Flight needs to be updated. They said the Airbus was the latest andgreatest in commercial aviation. that was sooooo long ago.

By design, every textbook is outdated and obsolete when its hits the store shelves because of the time-to-market required to print a book.
CAP needs to be looking to an all-online curriculum in formats compatible with notebooks, smartphones, and the new ebook readers, and as easy to update as a blog.

But then again, there's not much point to the expense of a textbook, or even bothering with online curriculum, when your allowed to just look up the answers online when you take a test, anyway.

I'm a huge proponent of online everything - I live in the Googleplex and we're trying to find new ways every day to leverage docs and Wave, but this is not the answer.  Its only a test of you GoogleFu, not your knowledge of the subject.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I took it in the good old days (late 90s) and remember it being a closed book test.  I seem to remember we had some lecture and took the test immediately afterward (don't think I ever saw a text). 

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 02:41:37 AM

By design, every textbook is outdated and obsolete when its hits the store shelves because of the time-to-market required to print a book.
CAP needs to be looking to an all-online curriculum in formats compatible with notebooks, smartphones, and the new ebook readers, and as easy to update as a blog.

But then again, there's not much point to the expense of a textbook, or even bothering with online curriculum, when your allowed to just look up the answers online when you take a test, anyway.

I'm a huge proponent of online everything - I live in the Googleplex and we're trying to find new ways every day to leverage docs and Wave, but this is not the answer.  Its only a test of you GoogleFu, not your knowledge of the subject.

iam not a proponent of going online with everything When you have kids and cadets and families that cant afford a computer it leaves them with a handicap . CAP is becoming an elitest organization where only the privileged can be involved. If you don't have a computer you cant take online test and if you have your way you wont be able to get your study matrials.

Another reason i don't like online everything is because it takes away from the group training. Online is More individual. I know we have a lot of IT nerds in CAP that like to sit in their cubicle all day an never speak to a soul  but CAP needs to be interactive.

A third reason is some folks wont be motivated to do what they need to do online at home. Some people you have to sit down and go through it with them. At my old squadron, members knew they needed to do Level one, Buthow many of them actually took the time to go home aftera long day of driving trucks or working at the grocery store are going to sit down at a computer on their Free time and do internet work when they could open a cold one and relax? A lot of things need to be done in a group setting at the squadron meetings.   ;D

flyguy06

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 02:41:37 AM

Eclipse, I dont know if you are into aviation or not but most folks that are know that the Airbus has been out for many years. The 777 and the 787 Dreamliner are the "new" wow airplanes in the commerical market

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 25, 2010, 02:40:06 AM
All these folks bragging about how easy it was. it was an open book test. Who cares if you did it in 10 minutes or three hours. All you gotta do is look up the answers.

iagree it was better when it was a team building event and you did it as a grouip. CAP is becomming an organization of online testers and users. Pretty soon we will be doing everything online. Imagine no more weekly meetings just say what you gotta sayin a chat room and email.

Really? When was this the policy for this test?

A test is a test. It's supposed to be an individual effort.

Why not let all the cadets in a specific grade do group testing on their leadership and aerospace tests? That sounds like great team building exercise.  ::)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret