How good is your BU? (that's BACK UP) - Lessons for us??

Started by Live2Learn, June 15, 2016, 12:55:21 AM

Live2Learn

This seems like a "teachable moment" for someone or someones!

The USAF, and Lockheed Martin (the DOD contractor responsible for looking after the now-unusable DB) lost 12 years of IG and USAF Legislative Liaison records.   DefenseOne and others report the problem was actually discovered by Lockheed Martin - but not reported to the USAF - several weeks ago.  See:  http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/06/computer-crash-wipes-out-years-air-force-investigation-records/129049/   DefenseOne reports that current investigations may also be affected by the loss.

I'm kinda curious, how frequently do we (individuals, CAP, etc.) backup  our data?  Daily?  Weekly?  Monthly?  NEVER???!!??  Do we have separate, not connected in time or space, drives to which we dump our data?

I dunno if this is relevant, BUT, it's an anecdote that might be:  A few years ago I read the sad story of a well respected blogspot that had a back up... except it was only one drive, and when that single backup was connected to the host machine a power surge took 'em both out.  Several thousand threads were obliterated, lots of digital images are no more.  In the good 'ol days where I worried about such stuff we had daily, weekly, and monthly backups on site, off site, and out of state for our data.  I recall we needed them a few times.

Garibaldi

Well, you'd think I would have learned after accidentally reformatting my 500 GB external drive and lost 10 years of pics, videos, and documents. But I still don't back up often, if at all.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Sergey Brin takes care of mine, as well as my unit's and that of most of my clients. 

He seems to have a pretty good handle on the situation.  Maybe the USAF should make a call.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

You only need to get caught without a back up once, then you become a true believer.

I lost the hard drive on my desktop last year, and it was a non-event. Loaded software onto the new drive and pulled files back down from the cloud. A couple of hours and it was like it never happened.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 15, 2016, 03:12:50 AM
You only need to get caught without a back up once, then you become a true believer.

I lost the hard drive on my desktop last year, and it was a non-event. Loaded software onto the new drive and pulled files back down from the cloud. A couple of hours and it was like it never happened.

Cost me $1200 for a bad hard drive back In March/April.

raivo

Quote from: Live2Learn on June 15, 2016, 12:55:21 AMThis seems like a "teachable moment" for someone or someones!

Ideally, it should be a costly teachable moment for Lockheed for flat-out negligence in service provision, but I don't have my hopes up.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

etodd

TB ext HDs are getting cheap enough now that I get a new one every year whether its half full or not. Label them as the year.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."