Main Menu

"Tactical" GT gear?

Started by commando1, February 13, 2011, 07:37:01 PM

commando1

I was wondering if anybody else out there has what appears to be "tactical" GT gear? I have a black tactical vest that works great for my gear I need all the time(e.g compass, maps, multitool, lights sticks etc...) plus a dropleg admin type pouch for pens/paper. Does anyone else utilize a similar rig?
Non Timebo Mala

PA Guy

What does looks have to do with it?  GT Ops isn't a fashion statement.

PHall

So how easy is it to get into that vest while you're wearing the orange vest that you're required to wear on top of that black tactical vest?
Bet it gets hot wearing two vests over your BDU's too.

(Ref: CAPM 39-1, 23 Mar 2005, Fig 2-17, Note 10 and Fig 2-18, Note 10)

commando1

Quote from: PA Guy on February 13, 2011, 07:43:38 PM
Since when do cadets care about anything other than uniform bling, being "hard-kewl" or the regulations?  ;D On a sidenote please do not hijack my thread into another "do we really need ____?" Are we allowed to have _____? Or better yet "Since we are not first responders we don't need _______." (<-----sarcasm)
Non Timebo Mala

SarDragon

Well, you brought it on yourself when you included the last two sentences, introducing looks.

QuoteThe other members of my team say that I look like I'm on a SWAT team but it works for me and still looks pretty darn good. I think it looks better than your average backpack type setup. Anyone else?

Had you stopped at "rig?", the thread would have gone an entirely different direction.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

commando1

Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2011, 07:48:51 PM
So how easy is it to get into that vest while you're wearing the orange vest that you're required to wear on top of that black tactical vest?
For the sake of argument where do the reg's state you must wear the vest on top of your gear, hmmm?  ;) It is required to wear a vest, and to have it on your person but nowhere can I find "It must be on top of all other gear/equipment." Prove me wrong and I will submit but I can't find it.  ;D
Non Timebo Mala

Major Lord

Hmmm, I don't think I would want to go too Ninja here, since the dope growers might mistake me for the police.....I also subscribe to the "less is better" school of thought when I actually have to carry it up and down hills, and perhaps walk through a shopping mall all on the same mission. Buy the least and best gear you need for the job, and strive for lightweight and comfort. Try not to look crazy.....CAP has enough of that.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

commando1

Quote from: SarDragon on February 13, 2011, 08:45:47 PM
Well, you brought it on yourself when you included the last two sentences, introducing looks.

QuoteThe other members of my team say that I look like I'm on a SWAT team but it works for me and still looks pretty darn good. I think it looks better than your average backpack type setup. Anyone else?

Had you stopped at "rig?", the thread would have gone an entirely different direction.
Point taken and post modified  8)
Non Timebo Mala

cap235629

Quote from: commando1 on February 13, 2011, 08:38:28 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on February 13, 2011, 07:43:38 PM
Since when do cadets care about anything other than uniform bling, being "hard-kewl" or the regulations?  ;D On a sidenote please do not hijack my thread into another "do we really need ____?" Are we allowed to have _____? Or better yet "Since we are not first responders we don't need _______." (<-----sarcasm)

What you take as sarcasm and hijacking is actually folks far more experienced attempting to offer you sage advice.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PHall

Quote from: commando1 on February 13, 2011, 08:46:43 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 13, 2011, 07:48:51 PM
For the sake of argument where do the reg's state you must wear the vest on top of your gear, hmmm?  ;) It is required to wear a vest, and to have it on your person but nowhere can I find "It must be on top of all other gear/equipment." Prove me wrong and I will submit but I can't find it.  ;D

With the current "safety before everything else" craze going on, do you really want to go down that road?

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: cap235629 on February 13, 2011, 08:53:06 PM
What you take as sarcasm and hijacking is actually folks far more experienced attempting to offer you sage advice.

You are right, the far more experienced will offer good advice. The thing that you cadets and seniors that are new to ES need to know is that we who are experienced know what works.

Here it is...

If your gear is not comfortable, as in able to take a knee without having to readjust your gear every five seconds, or you can't walk a mere 100 meters without having to take it off, rethink it. If you can't take a knee because you are wearing a leg rig, drop the leg rig. If your pack isn't comfortable, or you have to take it off to get to essential gear, then it is time to look into a chest rig. Find what is comfortable to you, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

I wear a current issue Army FLC for my gear I need to have at a moments notice, and for my larger sustainment gear I use a current issue MOLLE ruck, both in woodland. It is comfortable and I can carry it for 12 miles before getting to the point that I absolutely HAVE to take it off.

commando1

Quote from: cap235629 on February 13, 2011, 08:53:06 PM
The reason I am a "tad" (<---sarcasm) irritated is that my last post devolved into a discussion of a certain members credentials to give legal advice for his state. It was subsequently locked. I would just greatly appreciate it if the thread would stay on topic this time.  I am more than willing to accept and implement some advice so long as it actually relates to the original idea. Thank you for your help and understanding.  ;D
Non Timebo Mala

Eclipse

Most new members, especially cadets, want this:

You actually need this:

or maybe this:

or this:

Military and LE tactical gear has its place, but not really in CAP, sure it will hold up forever, but its primary purpose is camouflage in
dangerous situations, not simply carrying "stuff" during potentially aggressive, but non-combatant activities.  The main reason
it is so prevalent in many circles is because it is cheap and available, but not necessarily "best". 

I still miss my $25, sand-filled E-LBV off eBay, but my SARMed is a better choice.  Hit your local surplus stores to see what they
have in the used section before you stretch a credit card at Blackhawk.   I once purchased a fully-stocked Blackhawk tac vest with,
belt, leg bag, and probably 2x's the GT gear list from a member who was moving for $50!  This stuff was brand new, and had never seen
a real mission.  Why?  He was really an aircrew guy who went nuts buying "kewl stuff" and then found he had no interest in GT work.
After spending a fair amount of time and effort to "brighten up" the vest, I never used it because it was uncomfortable and ill-suited to
real SAR work.  It sat in my go cases taking up room and I finally gave it away to a cadet at encampment because I had no need for it.

With the exception of the uniforms, everything else you need as a new GTM is available in your local big-box store's camping aisle,
and it should be less than $100, maybe under $50 at the right sale time.

From there you replace the things you actually use with better parts as you need them.  You will not be dropped into a "hot LZ"
where your life will depend on the quality of your compass.  At worst you will be inconvenienced or have to borrow something for
a little while form a team mate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

I really like the concept of the SARMED, but how do you fit all of your 24 in there?

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 14, 2011, 06:27:31 AM
I really like the concept of the SARMED, but how do you fit all of your 24 in there?

It just "fits" - there's a big pocket in the back with a zipper.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

I just came across this site too: http://thevestguy.com/... Looks like this vendor will customize the vest of your choice.

Seems like a good idea if you've got a bake sale in the works.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001