Main Menu

Cadetstuff down?

Started by Yoda, May 25, 2005, 12:36:11 PM

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on December 17, 2005, 08:10:28 PM
Quote from: MIKE on December 17, 2005, 07:59:04 PM
Its back up!

For now.  ;D

...and there was much rejoicing.   ;D   Yaaay.
They must've eaten Sir Robin's Minstrels

PWK-GT

Quote from: tedda on December 18, 2005, 04:05:10 AM

They must've eaten Sir Robin's Minstrels

Brave, brave, Sir Robin............ ;D

"Is it Friday yet"

Pylon

Uh-oh.  Is it down again?   It's not responding for me.   :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on December 18, 2005, 06:50:37 PM
Uh-oh.  Is it down again?   It's not responding for me.   :P

Apparently Sir Robin's minstrels caused quite a gastrointestinal upset.  Perhaps if we give the'Stuff the little purple pill it will come back.

Or maybe a shrubbery...

shorning

Just think of the down time as CadetStuff's way of helping you fight your CadetStuff addiction. 

This community service annoucement has been brought to you by the number 3 and the letter Q.

footballrun21

I can get on it.  Don't know why me and not others.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

pixelwonk

Quote from: shorning on December 18, 2005, 08:20:19 PM
Just think of the down time as CadetStuff's way of helping you fight your CadetStuff addiction. 

Or forcing me to finish my school papers on the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan.  ???
what fun!

shorning

Quote from: tedda on December 18, 2005, 08:36:04 PM
Quote from: shorning on December 18, 2005, 08:20:19 PM

Or forcing me to finish my school papers on the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan.  ???
what fun!

I'll take "sharp-stick-in-the-eye" for $100, Alex.

pixelwonk

Quote from: shorning

I'll take "sharp-stick-in-the-eye" for $100, Alex.

That would be an oh-far-too-pleasant of a diversion right about now.

NIN

Today's outage seemed to be DNS related, but the outage on Saturday was related to the routes to our host being hosed up someplace in Chicago and totally out of our control. Today's hiccup could have been related.  I wasn't in a place to be able to tell much.

I was at home Saturday &  could not tracert to the site, but from a Level3 diagnostic tool, from DC I could see it and my home. Same with NY, Boston, etc. But try to route thru Chicago, as it appeared my packets were trying to, and forget it!   They fell off the grid on a Sprintlink hop someplace, never to be seen again.

I thought TCP/IP was supposed to be "catatstrophic loss of node" tolerant?  Guess not!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PWK-GT

Quote from: NIN on December 19, 2005, 03:22:10 AM
But try to route thru Chicago, as it appeared my packets were trying to, and forget it!   

And I thought only TRAFFIC didn't move around this town.......GEEZ >gridlock< :P
"Is it Friday yet"

pixelwonk

Quote from: NIN on December 19, 2005, 03:22:10 AM
Today's outage seemed to be DNS related, but the outage on Saturday was related to the routes to our host being hosed up someplace in Chicago and totally out of our control. Today's hiccup could have been related.  I wasn't in a place to be able to tell much.

I was at home Saturday &  could not tracert to the site, but from a Level3 diagnostic tool, from DC I could see it and my home. Same with NY, Boston, etc. But try to route thru Chicago, as it appeared my packets were trying to, and forget it!   They fell off the grid on a Sprintlink hop someplace, never to be seen again.

I thought TCP/IP was supposed to be "catatstrophic loss of node" tolerant?  Guess not!

And for those without the pi-shaped "geek chromosome"... the layman's explanation:

DNS: Domain Name system (... or service, server)-
It's like a Star Wars Protocol Droid, that among speaking Bocce, also translates website URLS into numbers the computer world can understand, and vice versa.

Continuing on with the geeky and poor Star Wars analogy, DNS'3PO' takes the website URL we give him and translates it into blippity-beepity numbers his R2 unit friend can understand.

And with a curt insult and a smack to the rusty innards of the R2 unit, the little droid displays a fine looking website in his holographic projector.

such as this one...

Now, say the DNS'3PO' droid comes across an angry bunch of ugnaughts who wish to disassemble him and send him down the conveyor for scrap...
well, you have what happened to CadetStuff recently.   :)

Ok, well that was still nerdy, wasn't it?

SarDragon

Tedd, you owe me a keyboard.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret