Main Menu

Cool Video

Started by yuccakev, September 10, 2016, 09:50:59 PM

yuccakev

I was anxious for this weekend's SAREX and was searching youtube. I stumbled upon this AF video from the 70's.  I was almost late for work watching it-really cool video. (note the whole Emergency 51 wardrobes, I think I saw Dr Brackett)

link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3_CqkP60-4

DrJbdm

Very dated, but a cool video non the less. I wish our operations were that organized in such short notice......and darn it, I wish we still had metal insignia on the service coat.  What's interesting is that it looks like a bunch of member owned airplanes with very few if any CAP owned aircraft. I love how everyone is wearing USAF style uniforms! Wish that was still the case!

yuccakev

I think I may have seem CAP on top of the wings.

etodd

Quote from: yuccakev on September 10, 2016, 09:50:59 PM

I stumbled upon this AF video from the 70's.

The video mentions "49 states" so that must make it pre-1959(?)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

sardak

QuoteThe video mentions "49 states" so that must make it pre-1959(?)
No,
1. At 21:22 the narrator states it could be any other of the "...52 Civil Air Patrol wings..."  The reference to 49 states is because he preceded the statement by naming Colorado, Louisiana and Maine.
2. One of the search aircraft has a tail number for a 1964 C-182G,
3. Those appear to be 1971 Dodge Polara California Highway Patrol cars.

Mike

Luis R. Ramos

There is still a mistake there if he mentioned the existence of 52 wings, naming those three states, then stating 49 states. Puerto Rico and Washington, DC have wings of their own yet they are not states.

I guess I am doing what other posters do. Answering the post then going to look in the context it was said...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

IIRC this video came out circa 1972 and was filmed (yep, they used film then!) in California using a number of CAWG assets.
Considering that the film industry was centered in the Hollywood-Burbank area and the CAWG Headquarters was in Burbank, this is not surprising.
Not to mention that a number of CAP members in the Los Angeles area worked in the film industry.

Cliff_Chambliss

I did the CAP Mission Coordinator Course as a cadet in 1964.  At that time it was conducted by the USAF Air Rescue Service unit from Dobbins AFB, Ga.  Very nice course as I remember.  During this time our squadron aircraft was an Aeronca L-16 (only a wind driven generator mounted on the landing gear struts for the one radio, and required hand propping).  Alabama Wing was then located in Birmingham, Al. and had a North American L-17 Navion.  On the several SARCAPS in which I participated the majority of the aircraft were member owned.  My senior year in high school the big CAP news was the Air Force was releasing its T-34 fleet to the CAP but I left for college and the Army before I saw any in squadron service.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.