Now that CAP is part of the total force

Started by Yeager, September 30, 2015, 02:22:40 PM

JeffDG

Also, let's remember, that CAP is part of the "Total Force" when they are operating on an Air Force Assigned Mission.  Same applies to the title "Airman"

The AF/Corporate distinction remains alive and well.

Capt Thompson

^^^^This

If you are on an extended mission for CAP, and Mission Base happens to be on a Military Facility, and you are billeting there, there are provisions to use the BX, commissary etc. When you're not on an Air Force Assigned Mission, you're not an Airman any more than you were before. As has been said before, if you want more access than you have, become a civilian employee of the DOD or enlist.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: JeffDG on October 01, 2015, 06:26:08 PM
Also, let's remember, that CAP is part of the "Total Force" when they are operating on an Air Force Assigned Mission.  Same applies to the title "Airman"

The AF/Corporate distinction remains alive and well.

So much more getting a bazooka issued, eh  :-[

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

THRAWN

Hehe...once upon a time, there was a retired USAF GO who gave a speech at a wing conference. He gave a detailed plan about how he really would love to see a bunch of the smaller C-12s and similar types of platforms turned over to CAP. I guess now that we're part of the total force, we just get them, right?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on October 01, 2015, 07:11:22 PM
^^^^This

If you are on an extended mission for CAP, and Mission Base happens to be on a Military Facility, and you are billeting there, there are provisions to use the BX, commissary etc. When you're not on an Air Force Assigned Mission, you're not an Airman any more than you were before. As has been said before, if you want more access than you have, become a civilian employee of the DOD or enlist.

Negative.  The only thing allowed for use upon approval is MWR and BX.  The commissary is not allowed for use at all.  And the commissary is it's own separate entity and now that they scan cards CAP will not be able to make purchases unless the member also has an approved DOD card.

RRLE

Quote from: Yeager on September 30, 2015, 02:22:40 PM
- At what point do we start using strictly the label USAF-AUX just like the CG AUX? Being part of the total force of the Air Force should qualify CAP to be officially called USAF-AUX. The CAP ID says on it

- Ranks. Even CG AUX have true ranks and a true ID to access bases.

First point - label. Never. Civil Air Patrol is the name of the organization and it is set in the US Code. It would take a literal act of Congress to change it.

Second point - Aux Rank. The Auxiliary does not have rank. The Auxiliary Manual is very clear about that. The Auxiliary has offices and titles of offices. Nor are most Auxie officers addressed by their office title. Only District Commodores and above (fairly high up the food chain) may be addressed with their title in front of their name. Auxie titles do not mimic Real Military titles. The highest title, Commodore, hasn't been used by the US military since circa WWII and maybe the Korean War. Other titles that have a partial military appearance, ie Captain, Commander, also have a qualifier in front of them, District Captain, Division and/or Flotilla Commander.

And a point that really bugs some Auxies, all Auxies regardless of office and insignia, are required by the Auxiliary Manual to salute all USCG officers. So the National Commodore (NACO) of the Aux, a three star, would salute the newest minted Ensign if they met. Enlisted personnel are not required t salute Auxie officers, also some do - some out of confusion.

Nuke52

Quote from: jeders on October 01, 2015, 05:53:13 PM
Quote from: Nuke52 on October 01, 2015, 03:35:53 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 01, 2015, 02:35:28 PM
I reiterate...

Quote from: jeders on September 30, 2015, 02:34:38 PM
Oh great and powerful mods, can we lock this preemptively, please.

Not a big fan of free speech, eh?

The best way to deal with TROLLS is to ignore them.  If you don't feed the TROLL s/he will find some other forum to bother...

I'm a big fan of free speech, but that's not the point. The point is that no good can come from this thread.

I get it, but there's no reason to squelch people's freedom of expression--especially preemptively--if they're not violating any rules.  If some Johnny Appleseed wants to start yet another thread about how us now being Airmen and part of the Total Force® means we should all be granted commissary access, DV suites at the 'Q, oh yeah, and don't forget:  ABUs!, let him

Who cares?  Ignore it.  Read a different thread.  Change the channel.  Go watch TV or read a book.  Ignoring trolls is the only way to make them go away.

YMMV.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2015, 08:06:36 PM
How much is that B-52 on the tarmac? :D

Nahhh, you don't want one of those--they're oooooooollllllllllddddd.
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Nuke52

Quote from: RRLE on October 01, 2015, 10:25:00 PM
The highest title, Commodore, hasn't been used by the US military since circa WWII and maybe the Korean War.

Umm, you sure about that, Chief?

(Although not necessarily a definitive source of information about anything, the internet can be your friend...) http://search.navy.mil/search?query=commodore&btnG=%C2%A0&utf8=%E2%9C%93&affiliate=navy_all
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

SarDragon

Quote from: Nuke52 on October 01, 2015, 10:37:00 PM
I get it, but there's no reason to squelch people's freedom of expression--especially preemptively--if they're not violating any rules.  If some Johnny Appleseed wants to start yet another thread about how us now being Airmen and part of the Total Force® means we should all be granted commissary access, DV suites at the 'Q, oh yeah, and don't forget:  ABUs!, let him. 

Who cares?  Ignore it.  Read a different thread.  Change the channel.  Go watch TV or read a book.  Ignoring trolls is the only way to make them go away.

YMMV.

This is essentially a private playground, where entry is a privilege, not a right. As such, the owner(s) may regulate who can play, and how they play. There's a Membership Code of Conduct that specifies the rules, and what happens when they are not followed. Trolling, for a variety of reasons, is discouraged. Like you said, "The best way to deal with TROLLS is to ignore them." But, shutting them off early is an even better way of dealing with them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Plus freedom of speech is not entirely free or what people believe it is. 

My Friends Call Me Spike

I chose to join CAP just about the time the announcement came out about the Total Force.  I'm not sure that I understand what that means yet... but that doesn't matter.

I joined to serve my country using the abilities and skills I have cultivated through the years which happen to be skills that might be useful in a national emergency situation.  Somebody has to be prepared.  That looks to me like the CAP.

Rank is nice, being reimbursed quickly and fairly would be nice... lots of things would be nice, but those aren't the reasons why I love my country or want to be part of CAP.

I am here to be a better American, promote liberty, fight tyranny and serve my fellow Americans.

abdsp51

Quote from: My Friends Call Me Spike on October 02, 2015, 02:59:42 AM
I am here to be a better American, promote liberty, fight tyranny and serve my fellow Americans.

And potential red flag here...

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 02, 2015, 03:22:40 AM

Yeah, check out his e-mail address....

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on October 02, 2015, 03:24:32 AM

Maybe he/she flies for the CAF? And I mean the folks who restore the old WW II aircraft.  But that last line is standard anti gov, sovereign citizen doctrine. 

Spam

I chose to join CAP just about the time the announcement came out about the Total Force.  I'm not sure that I understand what that means yet... but that doesn't matter.

I joined to serve my country using the abilities and skills I have cultivated through the years which happen to be skills that might be useful in a national emergency situation.  Somebody has to be prepared.  That looks to me like the CAP.

Rank is nice, being reimbursed quickly and fairly would be nice... lots of things would be nice, but those aren't the reasons why I love my country or want to be part of CAP.

Spike,

Welcome to CAP, in the spirit of our forerunners who fought the tyranny and aggression of foreign dictators and emperors, through flying border and coastal patrols.

I'm prepared to assume the best, on your part, until proven otherwise. Good on you, brother from Arkansas.

Very Respectfully,
Spam

Spam

Quote from: PHall on October 02, 2015, 03:24:32 AM

Nothing he has said is in any way divisive or defamatory in any way. I'm surprised and disappointed, frankly, that you'd take a cheap shot at him based on his email address, which you'd have to go active to look up.  Simply honoring Confederate ancestors or predecessors is grounds for insult?Your posts normally are so friendly and helpful, I can't see why you'd jump this way.

Way too quick to judge, gents, on far too little evidence.

V/R,
Spam

abdsp51

Sir,

There are alot of key words in the last line of his post that scream anti-gov and sovereign citizen as those words are used consistently in their doctrine and philosophies. 

Sorry, but I'd rather say something that looks like a red flag and have it be nothing than vice versa.  The poster may very well have honest intentions by what they posted, but still it's a red flag.