Toxic leadership - a real problem or sour grapes?

Started by JohhnyD, July 10, 2021, 04:07:20 PM

JohhnyD

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2021, 02:35:28 AM
Quote from: JohhnyD on July 22, 2021, 01:33:41 AM
Quote from: Dwight Dutton on July 22, 2021, 01:04:05 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on July 16, 2021, 10:18:44 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2021, 01:10:40 AM
Quote from: baronet68 on July 14, 2021, 08:18:15 AMAs of 13 Jul 2021:

Average = 39
Median = 33
Mode = 18

Total of 1099 squadrons and flights (excludes non-units such as headquarters, holding/reserve, legislative, etc.)
Does this remove AE, Congressional and patrons?
Yes.

If the mode is 18 and the average is 39, there must be some monster size squadrons.
We are at 142 and climbing. Toured 6-8 prospective new members last week, 5 this week. Best guess is we will end 3Q2021 (9/30) at 160+/- and 4Q2021 between 175 and 200.

But the "real" question is, how many will be around to renew in one year?
If you can get your renewal rate for first year members to be above 50% you will be beating the historical average that CAP has had for decades.
Recruiting is not the problem, it's retention where CAP has had their problems.
Our YOY growth rate implies a high renewal rate. I don't have those stats handy, but our engagement is high. Further, our promotions per cadet are very high, among the very best in the "LARGE" cadet population squadrons, and that argues for a higher than average renewal rate.

We are also in the early stages of "spawning" new units in local schools. That will create a "bulge" until the detached flights charter, and then a fall off. But as of right now, we are truly blessed with the wind at our back. We have a great set of cadres (cadet, senior member and ES), a supportive command environment - both local and Wing and a small, but growing NCO team that is amazing.

Recruiting IS the problem, retention IS the problem, community engagement IS the problem and we regularly address them all. None of these issues exist in isolation. At the heart of our success is truly impressive, widespread, cultural servant-leadership. At least that is my opinion, YMMV.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2021, 02:35:28 AMBut the "real" question is, how many will be around to renew in one year?
If you can get your renewal rate for first year members to be above 50% you will be beating the historical average that CAP has had for decades.

I have heard this at every CAWG Conference I have attended, starting in 2001. The other thing I hear repeatedly is that about 50% of the cadet membership fails to renew, every year.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohhnyD

Quote from: SarDragon on July 22, 2021, 03:20:54 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 22, 2021, 02:35:28 AMBut the "real" question is, how many will be around to renew in one year?

I have heard this at every CAWG Conference I have attended, starting in 2001. The other thing I hear repeatedly is that about 50% of the cadet membership fails to renew, every year.
I repeat myself:

Recruiting IS the problem,

retention IS the problem,

community engagement IS the problem

and we regularly address them all.

None of these issues exist in isolation. At the heart of our success is truly impressive, widespread, cultural servant-leadership. At least that is my opinion, YMMV.

BTW the corollary is that toxic/failed leadership is at the root of those units that are NOT finding vibrant growth.

JohhnyD

Our four-year box score:

7/17 - 77
7/18 - 74
7/19 - 90
7/20 - 122 (COVID)
7/21 - 143

Our current leadership team took over in early 2019. I joined in July 2019. Our prior leadership team built a very credible unit, the current team stood on their backs and built even better.

Double-digit growth rates year after year after year are a result of consistent and repeatable efforts inside of a supportive command climate. The nay-sayers will tell you why you cannot grow, I suggest that you can.

Майор Хаткевич

Toxic glory hounds have chased away more talent than can rejoin. 

Nothing like unethical cheaters being promoted because they help cover for each other. 

I sometimes miss CAP. I learned a hell of a lot, and apply it DAILY in my business life. I owe CAP a lot. But returning in the current climate is just not in the cards, if ever again at this point.