Costs to start a new Cadet Squadron?

Started by Dad2-4, December 22, 2022, 03:30:25 PM

Dad2-4

I've been working off-and-on for a year or so on the possibility of getting a new school-based cadet squadron started where I live/teach. 
My principals (middle and high schools) as well as the superintendent would like to see a financial breakdown for the first year. Since we are in a low socioeconomic area, the school will likely pick up the first-year cadet fees. 
We have a local unit 45 miles away that can/will act as support to help us get started as well and can provide some uniforms, training. and flight time.
So bottom line, can anyone help me out on an itemized budget for the first year? I know that'a a big request, but I'm terrible with accounting.

jeders

Other than membership dues and uniform items, there really aren't a whole lot of hard costs for a new unit. If you're using the school facilities, then you don't have any rent or utilities to worry about. Items like flags, sign, etc can all be acquired later as needed and don't need to be acquired immediately.

I don't know how school funding works where you're at, but if it's going to be an actual class and not just a unit meeting at the school, the school may actually receive more money for it. Right now we're in the process of helping set up a new school based unit here in Texas. The long-term plan is to set it up as an 800-series charter and have it as an actual class for the school which would allow it to get state credit and allow the school district to get additional state funding. However, right now it's still just an after school program; but the school district fully supports it because of the relationships that the teacher in charge of it has built. Part of that is allowing that teacher to use the districts short bus whenever he wants to transport cadets to activities at 0 cost to the unit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Dad2-4, if you haven't done it yet contact National Headquarters about starting a school based squadron.
They have many of the answers you're looking for.

Luis R. Ramos

You may consider approaching the PTA. If some dads/moms are parents of the cadets in the new unit they may consider giving funds for some items. If so, you may want to also consider contacting wing Finance if funds are given in name of your charter. If on the other hand the new unit is set as a class or club, and PTA gives to club or class you may not need to notify Finance.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Jester

When I did something similar, I used color guard equipment as a line item. 

Another issue is transportation to activities.  School may cover it, but you need to figure out if you have to use school vehicles, COVs, what insurance your district wants, etc.

Dad2-4

Update:
We have been approved to start up as an in-school unit, meaning it will be an elective class at the middle school only until we grow. We WILL be getting some start-up funding and an annual budget from the school district, so that is a huge help. Since we are in-school, we do not have to worry about a meeting location or utilities. I'm fairly sure we will also have access to district owned transportation.

NIN

Quote from: Dad2-4 on July 14, 2023, 07:14:23 PMI'm fairly sure we will also have access to district owned transportation.

As an aside here: Pay very strict attention to CAP's rules here.  Your wing legal officer might be able to provide more info.  Using "outside" transportation may entail making sure other insurance is covered, etc.  Same goes for using CAP vehicles for a school squadron: the school may have requirements to prove insurance.  There may be guidance under the Cadet At School stuff: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cpofficer/school

And of course, if you have someone with you who isn't part of the school, on school transportation (ie. a guest from another sq, say) you might have other issues re: coverage.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

etodd

Days gone by.  Everyone hop on and lets go to the meeting!

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MSG Mac

Try to contact Lt Col Jerry Levescue, of Texas Wing. (He may also be on the National Cadet Team). He is an expert on School based Squadrons
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member