Main Menu

Flight Crew Gear

Started by Chris Jacobs, November 22, 2006, 12:24:21 AM

Chris Jacobs

I am almost 18 and Christmas is around the corner.  I am also getting ready to start my mission scanner training.  I am already a glider pilot so i have a lot of the flying gear, but i want to see what every one has in their mission flight bag.  I know that i carry things in my ground team gear that not every one carries, and when they see that i have it they say that it is a really good idea and the next time i see them they have it also.  So my question is, what do you take with you on air crew missions?
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

thefischNX01

I have sectonals, a grid, an E6B Flight Computer, a headset and that's it.  I try to keep some extra F104's in there just in case and some plain paper for keeping a log. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

bosshawk

FYI: on the flight bag issue, here is my preference.  I have been a mission pilot for over 13 years.  In addition to a flight suit and boots, I carry and use nomex gloves.  I have a head set, a hand held radio, several flashlights, extra batteries(enough to outfit everything you carry with spare batteries), a protractor, several pens and pencils and gridded charts.  In addition to all that stuff, since I am an instrument rated pilot, I carry a knee board, my approach plates, sectionals for the whole state of CA, and the low altitude instrument charts for CA.

As a budding Scanner/Observer, you can make a big hit with your mission pilots if you have a small flat piece of rigid plastic to which you attach the sectional for the area where you are going to be flying and have a grease pencil to write on the clear plastic. 

The more you fly, the more you will refine the stuff that you carry in your flight bag.  It is almost a personal thing, so don't let the old Phyarts tell you what to carry.  Have fun.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

I just finished my scanner rating and I am starting my Observer....

I carry the sectionals for all of my wings AOR, a E6B, plotter/ruler, knee board, lots of pens and pencils, flight gloves, small flash light, my head set.

I also have a survival vest with all the normal doodads.

I am planning on getting a hand held AV-COM radio soon and I carry my GPS.

I don't have one yet..but I am working on getting some printed...you should have your Air Crew/Flight Task Guide too.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

2 headsets, sectionals, sometimes I have terminal area charts and sometimes they're even current, plotter, E6B, an AOPA airport guide, a kneeboard with blank paper for jotting down information codes and frequencies and stuff, lots of batteries, a couple of flashlights, a handheld radio, 3 smoke flares, a flare gun with some aerial flares, signal mirror, whistle, small fishing kit, canteen with water, water purification tabs, small shaving kit in case weather closes in and leaves me starnded somewhere, leatherman tool, flight planning guide forms from Sporty's, space blanket, comic books, a box of condoms, nylon stockings, and sometims an MRE or two.
Another former CAP officer

bosshawk

OK, Kach.  I forgot to mention my survival vest, which I don't include in my flight bag.  Also, our 206 has a survival kit in it that weighs 55 lbs and contains just about anything you might want on the ground.

A couple of your items would be very useful on overnight stays not involving an emergency.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Pylon

I'm a scanner and an observer.  I keep in my flight bag my Sigtronics headset, my knneboard with current sectional, electronic E6B, sectional plotter/ruler, a couple of other handy rulers/measuring sticks,  and note and sticky pads.  I don't have an "emergency" kit of extra supplies I keep on hand; perhaps I should *shrug*.

I have a leather flight bag, with a little velcro patch on it that I stick my extra flight badge on and stash all of these goodies with room for plenty more.  Depending on the day, I might stick snacks, water bottle, or other goodies in there.

YMMV.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dustoff

I would heartily recommend survival gear!!  You can't be too prepared for the unexpected!

The survival vests are great, just remember to put it on when you board the aircraft.  In an emergency it's easy to egress the aircraft and forget to grab your survival gear.

(I've seen it happen, luckily it was only training.  The crew was VERY embarrassed!!)   :D

If you're wearing it, it's harder to leave behind. 

Jim
(formerly on AF flight status)
Jim

freeflight

When I get on a plane this is what I am dragging with me.  My green flight suit in different weights as called for by the weather.  I also have gloves to protect me from fire and mosquitoes. My flight jacket in summer or winter weight as needed and my winter weight Nomex hood. My state aeronautical map, Salt Lake, Denver and Las Vegas maps.  Pens pencils in the suit or jacket.  I wear a good pair of sunglasses.  I also carry a small ringed note book. That's what on me personally. 

I also wear a flight vest in the vest are:
Standard first aid kit, with combat field dressings. 
I have three ways of making fire, matches, magnesium and flint and tinder. 
Two flashlights with extra batteries
Four emergency Mylar blankets. 
A complete set of VS-17 signal panels.
120 feet of jump cord.
One signal mirror.
One Swiss Army Super champ knife
One SDU-30/P distress light marker.
One poncho.
One pair of wool gloves.
One pair of wool socks.
One garbage bag to collect water.
Two gallon size Ziploc bags to hold water.
Duct tape.
Water at least half a gallon.
A whistle
One tritium compass.
Two MRE entrees

In my flight bag that carries all of this I have water and some munchies I can eat while flying.
I also carry a GPS unit and a Kenwood TH-G71 and a cell phone. I also have a pair of binoculars.
I am sure I am forgetting something if I remember I will post it.

When I fly I am wearing the vest at all times.

A.Member

Don't you guys have a standard survival pack that stays in the aircraft?  It surprises me that so many of you are dragging so much stuff along every time.

To the original poster, as a scanner/observer, my suggestion is not to overpack.  You need:
* appropriate sectionals
* a notepad
* pen & pencil (mechanical)
* pen-light (small flashlight)
* kneeboard or small solid surface to write on (at minimum, notebook is sufficient)
* roadmap (same type used by ground team)

Optional items:
* headset (the aircraft should have one but if you want your own, you can get a much better one)
* small calculator

I kind of like the idea of a hard, clear plastic cover and grease pen as well.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Chris Jacobs

I believe that all the aircraft have that like 50 lb survival bag in the bagage compartment.  But when you have to get out in a hurry that gets left behind.  I really like the idea of having a survival vest.  Now i think some may take it to an extream, but i think you defiantly need some basic supplies right there on your chest.

Thanks for all this information.  I started to put my flight bag together last night, and i am trying to figure out a system that will allow me to transfer my survival gear from my ground gear to my fight bag fast.  but i think i may just need to splurge and buy a second set of every thing.

If any body has any thing else i would love to hear from you.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

A.Member

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on November 22, 2006, 03:33:20 PM
I believe that all the aircraft have that like 50 lb survival bag in the bagage compartment.  But when you have to get out in a hurry that gets left behind. 
In reality, in the off chance an issue arises and you're in the back of a 172/182, you're not getting out in a hurry.  Even as a MP, releasing the seat lock is going to be a pain and inhibit egress. 

In the 172/182, the survival bag can be accessed through the exterior cargo door as well as reaching over the rear seat. 

The aircraft is small enough as it is without bringing a ton of extra stuff along.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

ELTHunter

- Nomex flight suit
- Flight jacket & Nomex gloves in winter
- Sunglasses (bayonet temples are more comfortable under the headset)
- Knee board (comes in really handy for log keeping or highbird relay)
- Sectionals
- Fischer Space Pen (because it writes in any orientation) & mechanical pencil
- Hand held CAP radio
- CAP In-flight Aircrew Guide
- Mini Mag flashlight with red lens.
- Gazateer or other map showing roads.  It's hard to guide a ground team in with only sectionals.
- Hand held GPS.  Since I use one on the ground team, I already have it anyway.  Even though the aircraft has a GPS, mine has come in hand when (1) the aircraft one was not working, (2) I can use it from the back seat, (3) confirm the aircraft GPS location.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

ELTHunter

Fogot a few other things.

- Digital camera
- Small pair of binoculars
- Ear bud for hand held radio.  Most CAP planes have the ability to switch the rcrew positions to listen to the CAP radio and still talk on the intercom, but I have been in one or two that don't.  Just in case, I can keep my Pos on the same net as the pilot, and put the ear bud in so I can hear the CAP radio.
- Dog Tags - I wear them when flying just in case someone needs to ID the remains.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: A.Member on November 22, 2006, 02:56:26 PM
Don't you guys have a standard survival pack that stays in the aircraft?  It surprises me that so many of you are dragging so much stuff along every time.

To the original poster, as a scanner/observer, my suggestion is not to overpack.  You need:
* appropriate sectionals
* a notepad
* pen & pencil (mechanical)
* pen-light (small flashlight)
* kneeboard or small solid surface to write on (at minimum, notebook is sufficient)
* roadmap (same type used by ground team)

Optional items:
* headset (the aircraft should have one but if you want your own, you can get a much better one)
* small calculator

I kind of like the idea of a hard, clear plastic cover and grease pen as well.

I don't always fly CAP aircraft.  I also fly T-41C's out of the PAFB Aero Club.  I pack all my survival stuff into my flight bag.  I should get a vest, but I just haven't found one at a decent price when I had credit to burn on my Visa.

Most of the flying I do in Florida is along the coast because, well that where everything is.  Navigation is easier... green on the right, blue on the left, southbound.  The survival gear would come in handy if I had to make an unplanned termination when flying across the peninsula.  My focus has always been in signal/visibility stuff.

When I commanded a cadet squadron, we did a bivouac, the highlight of which was that we had a civilian medical helicopter land at our bivouac site, and give an orientation on their operations and equipment.  I coordinated with the flight crew on a radio frequency, and when it was time, I called their flight dispatcher on a cell phone, and gave him the Long and Lat coordination.

I gave it to him in degrees and minutes.  He gave it to the flight crew in degrees and decimals.  That put them about 5 miles off.  I could talk to the crew, and I could see the helicopter, but they insisted they were at the correct coordinates, and kept looking for us below them.  GPS dont lie, but in this case, the dispatcher did.  We used aerial flares and smoke grenades of various colors, no joy.  What got their attention was mirror flashes.

It was a good training lesson, and one I reinforced on the cadets.  YOU can do everything right, and somebody else screws up, which means your rescue is 5 miles away and clueless.

Hawk200

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 23, 2006, 05:09:04 PMI gave it to him in degrees and minutes.  He gave it to the flight crew in degrees and decimals.  That put them about 5 miles off.  I could talk to the crew, and I could see the helicopter, but they insisted they were at the correct coordinates, and kept looking for us below them.  GPS dont lie, but in this case, the dispatcher did.  We used aerial flares and smoke grenades of various colors, no joy.  What got their attention was mirror flashes.

It was a good training lesson, and one I reinforced on the cadets.  YOU can do everything right, and somebody else screws up, which means your rescue is 5 miles away and clueless.

A good training lesson, indeed. I'm still wondering why the flight crew accepted "degrees and decimals".

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 23, 2006, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 23, 2006, 05:09:04 PMI gave it to him in degrees and minutes.  He gave it to the flight crew in degrees and decimals.  That put them about 5 miles off.  I could talk to the crew, and I could see the helicopter, but they insisted they were at the correct coordinates, and kept looking for us below them.  GPS dont lie, but in this case, the dispatcher did.  We used aerial flares and smoke grenades of various colors, no joy.  What got their attention was mirror flashes.

A good training lesson, indeed. I'm still wondering why the flight crew accepted "degrees and decimals".

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 23, 2006, 07:59:19 PM

Just one of many different coordinate systems.  If you fly GPS and don't have a paper chart...you don't "need" degrees and minutes.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Dustoff

Quote from: A.Member on November 22, 2006, 02:56:26 PM

Well, not really.

At least time I checked, there wasn't.  Now I only work closely with one wing, but I don't think they have a standardized list of survival gear to be carried in the aircraft survival kit.  I don't think there is a recommended list from National either.  (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong)   ;)

Jim
Jim

freeflight

Here are some things I forgot.

My own headset.
Barf bags, I carry these in my flight suit and in the bag. Believe me they come in handy.
Cheap digital camera.
Dogs tags with my allergies.
Lens wipes for the sunglasses and binoculars.
Chapstick.
Water purification tablets
Flight guide
Medications I need to take.
Always wear a watch.
Small overnight bag with toiletries.

Usually the planes don't have survival kits.  If they do people have gone through them and used parts of them without replacing them.  Or they might have been left out of the airplane after it 100 hour. When I carry my own stuff I know where it is and I know how to use it.

This is what I found at National. Knowledgebase Link

Dustoff

Quote from: freeflight on November 24, 2006, 09:26:43 AM
Barf bags, I carry these in my flight suit and in the bag. Believe me they come in handy.

I'll say!!!

When I was on flying status I always carried a barf bag or 3 in a pocket - not for me, but for whoever I was sitting next to............for them to use, and keep me from getting smooged!!!   :o

Jim
Jim

smj58501

Quote from: Dustoff on November 25, 2006, 01:37:41 AM
Quote from: freeflight on November 24, 2006, 09:26:43 AM

I'll say!!!

When I was on flying status I always carried a barf bag or 3 in a pocket - not for me, but for whoever I was sitting next to............for them to use, and keep me from getting smooged!!!   :o

Jim

There is a legend (true, urban, tall tale, or otherwise... but nonetheless fun to share) in our wing that a certain "superscanner" used to bring with him large, clear ziplock bags to vomit into while he scanned. Apparently he had a high propensity for pukeing, but he kept coming back for more (if that doesn't define dedicated volunteer, I don't know what does...).

He preferred clear bags because he could see through them, and thus maintain his scan while he wretched up his Subway.  The ziplock variety of course seals nicely, and trapped the smell reasonably well. The down side... the contents of course were visible to the pilot and observer, and the payback for their curiousity (human nature dictates you HAVE to look, even if it is a quick glance) was confirmation that lunch indeed was the meatball marinara today. This may or may not have had second and third order effects (this is where the story gets inconsistent) on the remaining members of the CAP aircrew team but nonetheless the potential was real.

Bottom line... another great suggestion
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Chris Jacobs

I have tons of flight time and have never puked.  But i am not going to take that to mean that i will never puke.  I know that every good pilot has to puke at least once.

For example i will use the best pilot i know.  He told me of the one and only time he puked.  It was really bumpy comming back from a day of flying when he got sick.  He pulled the bag out and let er rip, and it literally riped the bottom of the bag.  It ended all in his lap.  When they got to the airport the friend made him ride in the back of his pick up home.  When he got home his wife insisted that he didn't get to come in until she hosed him off.  This is the only time he has ever puked in his 50+ years of flying.  I believe that he even flew for the air force as an instructor.

So i will have a barf bag even if i plan on never using it.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron