75th Anniversary Conference

Started by Alaric, June 07, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Alaric

Anyone have a guess on where its going to be held?

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AlphaSigOU

La Habana, COOOOOOOBAAAAAAAA! :D (Nope, not as long as the commies still run the island...)

If I remember correctly, the national conference location is rotated by regions. 2014 was in Nevada (Pacific Region), 2015 is in Orlando (Southeast Region).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Alaric

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 07, 2015, 08:04:54 PM
La Habana, COOOOOOOBAAAAAAAA! :D (Nope, not as long as the commies still run the island...)

If I remember correctly, the national conference location is rotated by regions. 2014 was in Nevada (Pacific Region), 2015 is in Orlando (Southeast Region).

2007 - SER Atlanta
2008 - SER Kissemee
2009 - SWR San Antonio
2010 - PCR San Diego
2011 - GLR Louisville
2012 - MER Baltimore
2013 - RMR Colorado
2014 - PCR Las Vegas
2015 - SER Orlando

If they're rotating they certainly have a favorite region, you would think that if they were rotating it would show up in a region once every 8 years, in the last 9 years it has shown up in SER 3 times (including 15) PCR twice, SWR, GLR, MER, and RMR each once and not at all in NCR or NER.  For myself I'd like to see it more geographically central for the 75th Anniversary to maximize the number of people who can get to it.

lordmonar

Geographically central is kind of a nebulous definition.

Do we just use a physical central?  In that case it is Lebanon Kansas if you use just he contiguous 48.
If we add HI and Alaska...it moves to Belle Fourche, South Dakota.
If you go by population....then we should meet at Wright County Missouri.
So.....we should be having at Kansas City Missouri as the balance of location vs. access to major airports and convention facilities.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Alaric

Quote from: lordmonar on June 07, 2015, 08:59:29 PM

Do we just use a physical central?  In that case it is Lebanon Kansas if you use just he contiguous 48.
So.....we should be having at Kansas City Missouri as the balance of location vs. access to major airports and convention facilities.

I think that's a great idea, or Dallas, TX or Chicago, IL, or Indianapolis, IN.  Also good balances of location, access to major airports, and convention facilities as well as being driveable from much of the country

NCRblues

NCR last hosted the national conference in 2005, St. Louis Mo.

(He who shall not be named was elected nat/cc)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

LSThiker

Quote from: Alaric on June 07, 2015, 08:36:01 PM

2007 - SER Atlanta
2008 - SER Kissemee
2009 - SWR San Antonio
2010 - PCR San Diego
2011 - GLR Louisville
2012 - MER Baltimore
2013 - RMR Colorado
2014 - PCR Las Vegas
2015 - SER Orlando

If they're rotating they certainly have a favorite region, you would think that if they were rotating it would show up in a region once every 8 years, in the last 9 years it has shown up in SER 3 times (including 15) PCR twice, SWR, GLR, MER, and RMR each once and not at all in NCR or NER.  For myself I'd like to see it more geographically central for the 75th Anniversary to maximize the number of people who can get to it.

I would like to point out that:

2006:  Reno, NV (PCR)
2005:  St Louis, MO (NCR)
2004:  Tampa, FL (SER)
2003:  Las Vegas, NV (PCR)
2002:  Philadelphia, PA (NER)

Also, if you include the winter meeting, then MER has been host for a few decades as that meeting is held in DC.

While "centrally located" would be nice, you have to keep in mind major airports.  Kansas City is a major airport but is not considered a hub.  Southwest flies the most aircraft and still does not classify it has a hub.  Delta is the second most and still does not classify it as a hub.

Personally, I think we should take more of a historical note (which I know the place has probably already been established).  New York was considered to be the first "headquarters" of the Civil Air Patrol.  Specifically, 500 Fifth Ave, New York, NY. Around there might be interesting.  I wonder if there are any historical markers at the building?

PHall

Quote from: NCRblues on June 07, 2015, 09:03:03 PM
NCR last hosted the national conference in 2005, St. Louis Mo.

(He who shall not be named was elected nat/cc)

Which is why there never, ever will be another National Conference hosting in St. Louis! >:D

Alaric

Quote from: LSThiker on June 07, 2015, 09:15:01 PM
Quote from: Alaric on June 07, 2015, 08:36:01 PM

2007 - SER Atlanta
2008 - SER Kissemee
2009 - SWR San Antonio
2010 - PCR San Diego
2011 - GLR Louisville
2012 - MER Baltimore
2013 - RMR Colorado
2014 - PCR Las Vegas
2015 - SER Orlando

I would like to point out that:

2006:  Reno, NV (PCR)
2005:  St Louis, MO (NCR)
2004:  Tampa, FL (SER)
2003:  Las Vegas, NV (PCR)
2002:  Philadelphia, PA (NER)

Also, if you include the winter meeting, then MER has been host for a few decades as that meeting is held in DC.

While "centrally located" would be nice, you have to keep in mind major airports.  Kansas City is a major airport but is not considered a hub.  Southwest flies the most aircraft and still does not classify it has a hub.  Delta is the second most and still does not classify it as a hub.

Personally, I think we should take more of a historical note (which I know the place has probably already been established).  New York was considered to be the first "headquarters" of the Civil Air Patrol.  Specifically, 500 Fifth Ave, New York, NY. Around there might be interesting.  I wonder if there are any historical markers at the building?

I don't include the winter meeting as that is not the annual conference

SarDragon

A lot has to do with cheaper flights, and available convention space. A lot of nice places have neither.

Another organization I belong to has an annual event, on the weekend closest to 4 July. There is wailing and gnashing every year about the location. Our event has around 2000 people attending. The number of cities able to handle a convention that big is even smaller than the number that can handle our 500(?) members. On top of that, it's the 4th of July weekend, so we have to negotiate a location 3 years in advance. Half the places we have available are HOT that time of year (Orlando, Vegas, Phoenix, Philadelphia, and Birmingham come to mind). I'm not sure about the weather in Louisville (this year's venue) at this time of year, but the flights are sure not cheap. That has deterred a lot of people.

The CAP event is later in the year, which alleviates temperature concerns, but there's still the travel issue - distance, and expense. You can't please everyone.

Personally, if it's true, Atlantic City isn't a bad choice. It's not close to a major airport, but historically, it is close to the birthplace of CAP, and there are good facilities available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

I could tell you where the 2016 conference is, but then I'd have to kill you.

LSThiker

Quote from: JeffDG on June 08, 2015, 02:21:30 AM
I could tell you where the 2016 conference is, but then I'd have to kill you.

I will take you up on that offer :)

Johnny Yuma

Or Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, all those would be excellent locations with commercial air service and plenty of areas of cadet and aerospace interest.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

SarDragon

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on June 08, 2015, 03:09:57 AM

Or Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, all those would be excellent locations with commercial air service and plenty of areas of cadet and aerospace interest.

There's a HUGE difference between commercial air service, and affordable commercial air service. It costs less to fly from San Diego to Detroit, rent a car, and drive to Lansing, than it does to fly direct to Lansing. It can also be faster, depending on connections.

I'm also guessing that the cities you mentioned may not have affordable convention space big enough for our event.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on June 08, 2015, 03:17:12 AM

There's a HUGE difference between commercial air service, and affordable commercial air service. It costs less to fly from San Diego to Detroit, rent a car, and drive to Lansing, than it does to fly direct to Lansing. It can also be faster, depending on connections.

I'm also guessing that the cities you mentioned may not have affordable convention space big enough for our event.

That's one of the reasons that Orlando and Las Vegas, despite their not being "central" locations, are always good options.  You can fly to KMCO dirt cheap from just about anywhere, same for KLAS.  They also have an abundance of hotel options that can handle the level of event, and with multiple options, comes competition and lower prices.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on June 08, 2015, 03:20:03 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 08, 2015, 03:17:12 AM

That's one of the reasons that Orlando and Las Vegas, despite their not being "central" locations, are always good options.  You can fly to KMCO dirt cheap from just about anywhere, same for KLAS.  They also have an abundance of hotel options that can handle the level of event, and with multiple options, comes competition and lower prices.

Yeah, we went to Vegas and we end up in a terrible convention facility. Cost seemed to be the overriding factor...

ZigZag911

It really is going to be in Atlantic City, NJ.

Gill Robb Wilson encouraged the Governor of New Jersey to establish the "New Jersey Civil Air Defense Services" , with the backing of the Civil Aeronautics Administration (precursor to FAA) and Hap Arnold, then Chief of US Army Air Corps.

Once CAP was established, Atlantic City became toe site of Coastal Patrol Base #1.

JeffDG

Quote from: ZigZag911 on June 08, 2015, 05:39:03 AM
It really is going to be in Atlantic City, NJ.

Gill Robb Wilson encouraged the Governor of New Jersey to establish the "New Jersey Civil Air Defense Services" , with the backing of the Civil Aeronautics Administration (precursor to FAA) and Hap Arnold, then Chief of US Army Air Corps.

Once CAP was established, Atlantic City became toe site of Coastal Patrol Base #1.

I can say with considerable certainty that 2016 will not be in Atlantic City.

Al Sayre

+1, that cat is already out of the bag...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787