Hurricane Florence - September 2018

Started by Eclipse, September 12, 2018, 02:17:47 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Starbird

Very scary.  Glad CAP is lending a hand..

THRAWN

Yeah. My aunt, Florence, and my mother, Helen(e), don't seem very happy.....

I'm gonna be staffing the US DoT desk at FEMA R3 for the next week or so. If you're tasked, don't do anything aggressively stupid. If you're not tasked, stay home. There's enough to do without having to pull a self deployed "asset" out of a pickle.

Keep on, keepin' on....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Starbird

Quote from: THRAWN on September 12, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
Yeah. My aunt, Florence, and my mother, Helen(e), don't seem very happy.....

I'm gonna be staffing the US DoT desk at FEMA R3 for the next week or so. If you're tasked, don't do anything aggressively stupid. If you're not tasked, stay home. There's enough to do without having to pull a self deployed "asset" out of a pickle.

Keep on, keepin' on....

Yes, the situation is unfortunate... I am certainly not happy that the hurricane is going to hit.  I hope there aren't members out there who are excited for the impending storm, just so they get to "see some action"or whatever.  I 100% agree with your statement.

That being said, I am glad that given the events that we (CAP as an organization) are able to lend a hand and support the relief efforts, should we be needed. 

Live2Learn

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/092830.shtml?mltoa34#contents

Link above to a graphic that shows expcted arrival of storm force winds on the coast and inland as the hurricane moves westward.

LSThiker

Quote from: Starbird on September 12, 2018, 02:23:47 PM
I hope there aren't members out there who are excited for the impending storm, just so they get to "see some action"or whatever.   

Speak for yourself man.  I want a free remodel on my house--new roof, some new drywall, new floors--like I did in a previous Hurricane.  I am paying for Storm Insurance, might as well use my investment.  >:D   :angel:

<And yes Francis, lighten up>

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starbird on September 12, 2018, 02:23:47 PM
I hope there aren't members out there who are excited for the impending storm, just so they get to "see some action"or whatever.

You'll always have a few people who are psyched over an impeding disaster. It gives validation to the organization, and gives an individual purpose. It's kind of like sitting around waiting for the big fight to happen, and when it doesn't, you get bored. You don't want anyone to get hurt, but you want the action.

That said, CAP's biggest missions come from persons facing death, or at least severe injury. I hope that nobody's action comes at the cost of someone's life, anyone's.

Training for this stuff can be exciting, and it can give you a taste to want the real deal. Even when responding to the real thing, you may have a taste for it. It's adrenaline. This is what you're trained to do. But there's a whole aftermath that comes with it that people don't really think about until it hits you in the face.

Stay safe out there, everyone. And if you get the call, get some.

radioguy

And to think that I moved to NC from FL when I retired so that I wouldn't have to deal with these storms!

::)

Eclipse

There was palpable disappointment on the various news outlets when it became obvious
it would make landfall as "less then a major storm" (ultimately a CAT 2) while
under-breath wishing about "it gaining strength before landfall".

90Mph winds and 8 months of rain is nothing to trifle with, but news outlets already
trying to spin it beyond what it is.

"That Others May Zoom"

JacobAnn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2018, 04:16:51 PM
There was palpable disappointment on the various news outlets when it became obvious

90Mph winds and 8 months of rain is nothing to trifle with, but news outlets already

Don't they pretty much do that with everything?

SarDragon

People in the affected areas seem to get complacent about these storms, and the news folks are trying to get these people thinking seriously about what's really in store for them.
I'm unsure of your specific experience with hurricanes/tropical storms, but I have been involved in two - Donna in 1960, and Camille in 1969. The coverage you see on The Weather Channel only give a hint of what's happening on site.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 15, 2018, 06:04:44 PM

People in the affected areas seem to get complacent about these storms, and the news folks are trying to get these people thinking seriously about what's really in store for them.
I'm unsure of your specific experience with hurricanes/tropical storms, but I have been involved in two - Donna in 1960, and Camille in 1969. The coverage you see on The Weather Channel only give a hint of what's happening on site.

And even the Weather Channel tends to hype stuff too.

Spam

It hearkens back to the basic principles of yellow journalism and marketing their product. If it bleeds it leads was the old saying. Without Xtreme Weather! Then they have less of an exciting product as a specialty Channel.

Plus, it fits with certain political agendas of different stripes. They get disappointed if they can't point to increasingly horrible weather as justification for their points of view and for scoring points against whomever the opposition is.

So tired of it...

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 15, 2018, 06:04:44 PM

I had a micro-burst come down almost directly on the house last July, that lasted about 1 minute,
and was terrifying enough - I can't imagine what it must be like for that to be sustained for hours to days.

My point was that reality is plenty scary enough without wishing it was worse, etc., but these days
it's all about the clicks, so there you are.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Oh, it's even better than that. If you look closely at the video, the wind is blowing the vegetation in the same direction he is leaning, i.e from behind him.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

You know, it makes me think.

How many times we have seen similar news clips and never had people in the background to compare?

How many more clowns out there like him?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Then again, 7 years ago we're watching the Weather Channel and Jim Cantore is live in a boat going down a street in West Pittston, PA narrating the flood damage, and his cameraman pans over to my buddy's house and the water is halfway up the front windows... Not fake news there.

:(
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

docsteve

It's not fake news in the Carolinas, either,  unless you buy into the conspiracy theory that Florence is fake.
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain

Eclipse

Before this goes sideways, no one says it's fake news, and like a lot of these, the flooding
will be a lot more devastating then the storm itself.

The only thing "fake" is the typical media hyperbole and overhype that puts the attention
too early / too long / or in the wrong place.

"That Others May Zoom"