Iowa Wing lowers officer requirements??

Started by capchiro, January 16, 2007, 09:39:36 PM

isuhawkeye

Respectfully

If you have specific questions or concerns regarding the OTS please move the discussion to one of those threads. I am getting a little tired of explaining the program.  Or better yet come by and see things as they work

In short we have done nothing more than package the existing program so that new members have an organised efficient way to accomplish enough education to be functional. 

Level 1
Specialty track,
Pilot rating,
etc. 

Midway 6 came out a little while ago.  I have been hoping that he would blog on the subject form his perspective. 

Sorry for any perceived negative attitude.  we have been hashing out the same points of this program for almost a year now with very little input that has helped to improve our program.

Eclipse

Suggestion:

If you don't want to answers questions, don't offer to answer questions.

"That Others May Zoom"

isuhawkeye

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

He PM'ed me and we are continuing this offline...

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 21, 2007, 06:59:30 AM
ok gang.   How about asking questions, and not jumping to conclusions.  the Iowa folks have been more that willing to answer questions. 

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 21, 2007, 09:22:42 PM
...I am getting a little tired of explaining the program.

Okay. ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

He provided me with more color and background to the situation, and suggested I read the public docs and letters.

I have a better understanding now. It doesn't mean I agree, but k-sara sara.

If he wants to share, he can.

"That Others May Zoom"

NEBoom

Discussion about Iowa's OTS picking up in the "Iowa Wing CAP" thread over on the Membership board, FYI.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: lordmonar on January 19, 2007, 04:55:48 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 19, 2007, 03:28:21 AMWhat reg doesn't apply?

New members are brought in against the wing's charter number, and their unit (The wing) conducts training.  They give them Level 1, CPPT, AFIADL-13, SLS, GES, BCUT, ACUT and for pilots their form 5 rides all in the first 6 months.

What regulation says they can't do that?

John...I really don't want to sound like a nay sayer because I like a lot of what Iowa is doing and I like the idea of an OTS....but the question is.....do you have to got to OTS?

Quote from: CAPR 35-5 Para 11. General. Criteria for promotion of CAP senior members will be applied uniformly throughout Civil Air Patrol. CAP unit supplements to this regulation in the form of publications or oral instructions that change the basic policies, criteria, procedures, and practices prescribed herein are prohibited.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5 Para 66. Minimum Eligibility Requirements. To qualify for initial appointment to CAP officer grade, senior members must meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Be at least 21 years of age.
b. Be a high school graduate (or educational equivalent).
c. Complete Level I of the Senior Member Professional Development Program (see CAPR 50-17). NOTE: Former members who have completed Level I training and have less than a 2 year membership break and former cadets who have earned the General Billy Mitchell Award, or higher, and have less than a 2 year membership break are exempt from Level I training requirements.
d. Complete Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT).
e. Be recommended for promotion by the unit commander.

I don't see "AFIADL-13, SLS, GES, BCUT, ACUT and for pilots their form 5 rides all in the first 6 months" as one of the requirements for initial appointment.

So...by regulation....if a guy went to the first weekend class...got is CPPT credit and his foundation credit, came home and did his OPSEC training, his commander could appoint him 2d Lt....and there is nothing IOWG could do.  Even then...does IOWG have a directive out there forbidding unit commanders (flight and squadron) from conducting the CPPT and Foundations mentorship sessions?

Additionally

Quote from: CAPR 50-17 Para 3-63-6. How Conducted.  Commanders should ensure that regions, wings, groups, and squadrons offer Level I training at least once each quarter for new members.

Quote from: CAPR 50-17 opening statementCommanders at each echelon have the responsibility to support the Senior Member Professional Development Program in accordance with the provisions of this regulation.

Now...again....I love the idea of an OTS....but in regards to the regulations can you hold back a promotion (or demotion as the promotion does not go through wing) for someone who did not go to the OTS?

LM:

What unit would he go to?

New members of IA are ALL assigned to Wing.  You cannot be a 2LT unless you have 6 months in grade as SM.  His first 6 months are managed by the Wing, and consist of intensive training.  THEN the fully-trained 2nd Lt. is assigned to a local unit.
Another former CAP officer

lordmonar

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 22, 2007, 11:54:32 PMLM:

What unit would he go to?

New members of IA are ALL assigned to Wing.  You cannot be a 2LT unless you have 6 months in grade as SM.  His first 6 months are managed by the Wing, and consist of intensive training.  THEN the fully-trained 2nd Lt. is assigned to a local unit.

Well John that was what I was asking....is it legal to require all new members to be assigned to wing?  I'm not saying that I don't like the program I do.  I was just wondering if you had some squadron in the back beyond that did not want to play...would it be legal for wing to deny their accession and promotion?

I already got my answer....the answer is that OTS is not 100% mandatory but very highly recommended...which I think is a good idea.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP