Rumor Mill works on the shuttle rules

Started by Майор Хаткевич, January 23, 2013, 07:10:47 AM

Майор Хаткевич

So, I heard this tid bit, about how a cadet can start running 6 paces BEFORE the 30ft area of the shuttle run, and that the clock starts when they cross into the shuttle run range. Sounds great, but it didn't seem right.

So I checked CAPP 52-18:
QuoteTesting:
1. Mark two parallel lines 30 feet apart. Place two blocks (or similar objects) immediately behind one
of the lines.
2. Have the cadet start behind the line opposite from where the blocks are.
3. Each timer may test only one cadet at a time.
4. On the signal, "Ready, GO!," the cadet runs to the opposite line, picks up one block, runs back and
crosses the starting line, drops the block behind the starting line, and then repeats the process.

Obviously there's no way the 6 pace thing is true, if the grader initiates the event.

Also National has this video.

Did I mention this was brought up at a TLC?  >:D

SarDragon

Well, having had to do this as a PE event in HS, I can provide some insights.

A running start will give you a faster time in the first 30 feet. Since you are running faster, it takes more time, and distance beyond the first block, to slow down and turn around. Any advantage is gone after the first turn-around.

We had guys try it, and it didn't seem to make an appreciable difference.

If it was a one direction race, yes, it would make a difference. Not so when you have to turn around and redirect all that extra energy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

I however, advise people to be READY before ever hearing the word ready, and basically start "going" as soon as they hear "READY".  by the time they actually move, the GO is out, and they are actually crossing the line.

What I saw too many times goes something like this:
"ready, GO!  <cadet stands there for a noticeable amount of time> <cadet tenses up muscles> <cadet actually starts moving>"

I and my PT monitor are pretty consistent with the cadence of our "ready, GO!" and it's not meant to trick a cadet into a false start or anything.

NC Hokie

Quote from: coudano on January 23, 2013, 11:20:33 AM
I however, advise people to be READY before ever hearing the word ready, and basically start "going" as soon as they hear "READY".  by the time they actually move, the GO is out, and they are actually crossing the line.

What I saw too many times goes something like this:
"ready, GO!  <cadet stands there for a noticeable amount of time> <cadet tenses up muscles> <cadet actually starts moving>"

I and my PT monitor are pretty consistent with the cadence of our "ready, GO!" and it's not meant to trick a cadet into a false start or anything.

IMHO, this is why the rules should state that the clock starts when the cadet moves instead of when the command is given.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy