New IFR Pilot in the House

Started by etodd, October 16, 2018, 01:16:29 AM

etodd

OK, its a happy moment for me. Passed my IFR check ride today.  MANY thanks to several CAP CFIs who have helped me on this journey. Its been start and stop for a couple years, but 2 months ago I said "its time to make it happen".  But without the wonderful CFIs in my squadron it never would have. They selfishly provide their services and enjoy teaching others. My thanks to CAP National for giving us CAP pilots the opportunities to get new ratings in the CAP planes.

There have been missions in the past I have missed due to not having IFR.  I hope to be able to fly more for CAP, to "pay back" what CAP has generously given me.

Taking a month to get my breath, then I'll jump on Commercial.  :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

farsightusf2017

Congrats! I'll be taking my Checkride sometime this month!

CAPLTC

"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

JacobAnn

Congratulations!  An instrument rating significantly expands your flying horizon.

audiododd

Awesome!  I'm starting my Instrument training after the first of the year.  Any recommendations?
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

etodd

Quote from: audiododd on October 17, 2018, 01:07:04 AM
Awesome!  I'm starting my Instrument training after the first of the year.  Any recommendations?

I used the King online videos to get me started. But then dove into the FAR.AIM and FAA Instrument Flying Handbook to broaden the knowledge and understanding. After taking the practice tests, the actual written was easy.

Our squadron has a C-172/G1000. Great plane to train in, and makes partial panel almost too easy.

Now ... before folks jump in ... YES ... even though "technically and legally" I can hop in a steam gauge airplane and shoot an ILS in actual IMC... there is NO WAY I would ever attempt it without further training from a CFI in that airplane.

And that really applies to any airplane with a different configuration of radios and nav gear. While in IMC is not the time to figure out a new system.  ;D
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

farsightusf2017

Quote from: audiododd on October 17, 2018, 01:07:04 AM

I did a lot of training in an AATD sim before even touching the airplane and that helped me immensely. By the time I was flying with a CFII I had a bunch of approaches under my belt and there was a lot less learning I had to do on the fly (no pun intended)