Star Gazing Don't Be Afraid to Ask for Help!

Started by RADIOMAN015, August 27, 2010, 12:45:05 AM

RADIOMAN015

Very interesting story came out of one recent wing encampment.  A new senior member was attending the encampment and apparently the wing wanted to hold an evening program for the cadets to gaze at the stars, but there was a lack of telescopes.  He calls his wife and mentions it to her.  She contacts every Star Gazing club in the state  & asks for help.  Numerous clubs call back and one club is very close to where the wing encampment is being held.

The group that shows up not only are amateurs with an interests in star gazing but a professional who does consulting work for NASA, and brings plenty of telescopes.  He even has a special laser he can point in the sky to direct where to point the telescopes and talks for 3 hours straight to the cadets -- what motivation.

End result even the clubs that didn't participate offered to assist other local CAP units in the wing when they got home from encampment.

So IF your squadron/group/wing is also planning this type of event, be sure to contact all those astronomy clubs in your state.  It was a great CAP evening (thanks to one member's wife's determination to get it done!!!) :angel:
RM

lordmonar

Don't forget to ping the people in you wing as well....you will be suprised how much intrest in astronomy also combines with intrest in aviation.

I am an amature astronomer myself and there are at least 10 people I know in NVWG also intrested in astronomy and have the tools to go with it!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP