Need help with a WMU issue (March 2012)

Started by ♠SARKID♠, March 15, 2012, 05:27:47 AM

♠SARKID♠

Bit of an issue that I could use some corroboration on.  I know that WMU has been out of use for some time.  However, in WIWG we were using it far longer than other wings.  Until recently you could still access WMU and use its functions to check on SQTRs and pull CAPF-114s even if it was being used for data entry.  It seems as though the switch has been flipped and now those and some associated ES pages are dead.

For me, this isn't an issue.  Back when the foot was put down about using e-services I went ahead and transcribed all of my SQTRs from one to the other.  However, this was when I was still a cadet doing it on my own time and whim, before I had the responsibility of overseen the training records in my squadron.  Some of the members in my squadron, however, didn't transcribe their SQTRs.  Many of their tasks are missing data like trainer IDs and mission numbers that were there before.  Despite the missing data their achievements are still active.

I know its a shot in the dark, but does anybody know of a way to recover the SQTRs off of WMU, or know someone who has access to the data?  Things are dandy at the moment, nobody is missing any ratings AFAIK, but I'm willing to bet that issues will rear their ugly heads when it comes time to input renewals.

SarDragon

The basic answer, as I know it, is no. Do any of your members still have the paper copies of their SQTRS? Long shot, but worth asking.

FWIW, I've never had issues with missing info on the online SQTRs. The tasks should be updated periodically, and as that happens, the empty blanks will populate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

The two systems used to sync daily through the MIMS and whatever the heck it was called next, before it became "Operations Qualifications". If stuff was input into one, it reflected in the other. Maybe it's still a one-way pipe into WMU, or was ..

Now, I suspect .. though the IMU database function has also been moved into the IMU application, but that is built from WMU data..  if your wing uses IMU.. and you want to fiddle with the Access database .. Maybe the records are still in there.

The way that thing is put together, I would not be the least bit surprised.

Eclipse

The quick answer is no.  Your neighbor to the South has plenty of members in the same boat.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I have had a bit of the same issue, but not concerning WMU. Some people just want to use eservices to keep their SQTRS. I just highly encourage everyone to keep a paper copy, start with a blank one, and I will enter everything onto their paper, and as soon as the chance comes up, I enter it into eservices, but I tell them to still hang onto their paper copy just in case they change eservices to something else and an issue comes up with repopulation of the record. You just can't beat holding onto your papers.

Larry Mangum

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Spaceman3750

I print to PDF and keep it in my Dropbox account. I lose paper.

Eclipse

We have the same challenge right now and are trying to get our people to understand that while everyone is moving towards "paperless" that doesn't man "documentless, especially in CAP.

Fight the good fight and insist "you can't make me" and you could wind up having to start a GES.  Upload your signed SQTR to eServices (and keep your own copy) and the fixes are simple and easy.

SQTR's and related quals need to be able to stand up to inspections and investigations.  When you enter someone's CAPID into the slot, you are making them personally responsible for that training, and without either paper, or the blue-sky system of email-based confirmations, "because I said so" isn't going to mean much if someone gets hurt, we're sued, or you just want to get re-qualed, and the benevolence of former commanders who "know you" is gone
because they have moved on.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2012, 03:05:45 PM
SQTR's and related quals need to be able to stand up to inspections and investigations.  When you enter someone's CAPID into the slot, you are making them personally responsible for that training, and without either paper, or the blue-sky system of email-based confirmations, "because I said so" isn't going to mean much if someone gets hurt, we're sued, or you just want to get re-qualed, and the benevolence of former commanders who "know you" is gone
because they have moved on.
Personally, I'd like to see whoever's CAPID gets entered into the box get a "Approval" in OpsQuals...just like the final qualification gets.  At a minimum, the two exercise participation entries should be validated by the evaluator, IMHO.

The infrastructure is there in OpsQuals, it goes to the Squadron, Group and Wing already for approval, why not just put a "Task" approval level before it ever gets to the Unit approval step.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on March 15, 2012, 05:19:16 PMPersonally, I'd like to see whoever's CAPID gets entered into the box get a "Approval" in OpsQuals...just like the final qualification gets.  At a minimum, the two exercise participation entries should be validated by the evaluator, IMHO.

The infrastructure is there in OpsQuals, it goes to the Squadron, Group and Wing already for approval, why not just put a "Task" approval level before it ever gets to the Unit approval step.

This is essentially what the impending upgrade to OPS Quals is supposed to do.  I've been "working" with the NHQ IT team on the upgrade (by "working", I mean myself and several members of my wing's staff have access to the test system that we can play with, and we occasionally comment
on discussions).

Unfortunately there are some things not implemented that need to be done before it will work correctly.  It was originally slated for February release,
but didn't meet the spec so it has been pushed back.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2012, 05:36:27 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on March 15, 2012, 05:19:16 PMPersonally, I'd like to see whoever's CAPID gets entered into the box get a "Approval" in OpsQuals...just like the final qualification gets.  At a minimum, the two exercise participation entries should be validated by the evaluator, IMHO.

This is essentially what the impending upgrade to OPS Quals is supposed to do.  I've been "working" with the NHQ IT team on the upgrade (by "working", I mean myself and several members of my wing's staff have access to the test system that we can play with, and we occasionally comment
on discussions).

Unfortunately there are some things not implemented that need to be done before it will work correctly.  It was originally slated for February release,
but didn't meet the spec so it has been pushed back.

Here's the key to that IMHO, and please feel free to inform NHQ as you see fit - this validation should be done by the EVALUATOR, not the ESO. And please for the love of God email me when I have pending approvals & validations to approve.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 15, 2012, 06:01:12 PM
Here's the key to that IMHO, and please feel free to inform NHQ as you see fit - this validation should be done by the EVALUATOR, not the ESO. And please for the love of God email me when I have pending approvals & validations to approve.

Yes, that's the idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

On a similar note .. anyone login to WMU recently?

It's telling me I've entered an invalid CAPID...

Eclipse

Worked for me just now.  Maybe related to whatever interchange is disabled right now?

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on May 11, 2012, 01:46:12 AM

You sure you're still a member? >:D

a2capt

eServices likes me :) Says I'm even Safety Current :)

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: a2capt on May 11, 2012, 01:46:12 AM

Working fine for me.

a2capt

Works now, again .. in 10 years I've never had a problem logging into that thing. Though I'll admit the most often thing I use it for anymore is CAPID searches, it's way faster than using eServices.