CAP Colonel in the crowd on MSNBC

Started by Maj Ballard, January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 04:23:55 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Inauguration is not a political activity....it is a civic activity.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

And the military is there under orders to show fealty to the new commander-in-chief. It's fine for a CAP member to be there in an official capacity.

alamrcn

Just wanted to say that I also caught that shot. It was during the benediction at the end of the event. The Colonel was on screen long enough for me to notice and point at his gray shoulder mark and say, "Look, Civil Air Patrol!" Very cool.

Thanks for the vid cap, isn't technology cool?!

I saw a half-dozen or so men with Tuskegee Airmen baseball caps at various times throughout the ceremony, so he was maybe with that group and close to a crowd camera.

Yup, this was a good and appropriate event for members of CAP to attend in uniform. A president's funeral might be another Civic Event along the same lines.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

A.Member

Are ear muffs an authorized item for uniform wear?  ;) :P
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

Quote from: A.Member on January 21, 2009, 08:55:47 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2009, 08:54:04 PM
yes.
I was being facetious. 

On this board?!?!  You have got to put more then a couple of smiles to convey that!   ;D

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that question.

And for the cite...before anyone asks...table 2-1 line 13.

wingnut55

The man looked good in the uniform.!!!

I wish CAP could get enough Cadets to march at these things, but it sure looked cold.

I expect to see lots of changes, this administration is very keen on volunteerism and CAP volunteers do it until we bleed sometimes (financially)

Major Carrales

Ha-hum...notice he is wearing a service cap >:D 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

smj58501

Quote from: lordmonar on January 21, 2009, 06:04:44 AM
Question..... if it was a CAP'er, and he was in a CAP uniform (AF style or Corp.) wouldn't that person be in violation of regs?? Wouldn't that be considered a political support statement?  I personally don't care one way or another, today is a big day in our nation, only happens every 4 years.  I just thought we were not supposed to attend political events in uniform.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Indeed it is. And if we could not be there, then the USMC band should not have been playing "Hail to the Chief" either. The Military District of Washington should also have stayed at their desks. Yet, the uniformed services were proudly represented, as they should be.

It was a great thing to see our military and CAP associated with this great event. No matter how you vote, any inauguration is cause to celebrate.... our country may not always be consistent at everything we do, but we are consistent at the peaceful transfer of power. Every 4 years, we get to reaffirm that this country really is of the people, by the people, and for the people.

That is thanks to our great military. We owe them everything.

Is this a great country or what?

(OK, I am off the soapbox now)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: smj58501 on January 22, 2009, 04:27:43 AM

Indeed it is. And if we could not be there, then the USMC band should not have been playing "Hail to the Chief" either. The Military District of Washington should also have stayed at their desks. Yet, the uniformed services were proudly represented, as they should be.

It was a great thing to see our military and CAP associated with this great event. No matter how you vote, any inauguration is cause to celebrate.... our country may not always be consistent at everything we do, but we are consistent at the peaceful transfer of power. Every 4 years, we get to reaffirm that this country really is of the people, by the people, and for the people.

The fact that it could be thought that a civic function such as the event of Jan 20 was somehow an endorcement of some political agenda is a testimony to the fact that our nation is far too divided on political issues and party politics.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 21, 2009, 05:09:57 AM
Real military sometimes does not have a choice in the matter, I mean after all the President is the Commander in Chief.  I see the "perception" point of view and that was what I was getting at.  I try to make sure that politics is NOT brought up at our meetings for two reasons.... I'm sure no one wants to hear my political views and I don't want to hear someone else's in that setting.  Thank you for the input to my question.  :)

It wasn't a political event.  It is an event required by the constitution, regardless of which party the incoming incumbent. I can't think of a more appropriate event to wear a uniform to (outside of a CAP meeting).  I can't think of another country that has a regularly scheduled (down to the day and minute) change of government. 

Gunner

CPT Anderson

Quote from: smj58501 on January 22, 2009, 04:27:43 AM

THIS IS A GREAT COUNTRY....HOOAH!!!!

Yes, this is a wonderful country! HOOAH!!!

Capt Chelle L. Anderson, CAP
(CPT, US Army, RET)

SM-MADDOG

Quote from: Captain B on January 20, 2009, 05:44:52 PM
Did anyone else see the CAP Colonel in the inauguration crowd on MSNBC? It was during the benediction. African American fellow.

One of the Capt's at the squadron meeting tuesday told us about it. At President Fords funeral service CAP has some members present for it. I think one of them was a PAO and go closer than most did.
2nd Lt, CAP

SM-MADDOG

typo sorry, tired and think its time for bed lol. 3rd shift hours gotta love em. I ment to say CAP had member present for the funeral and a PAO got closer than most others during the services.
2nd Lt, CAP

CAPPAO

Quote from: SM-MADDOG on January 22, 2009, 11:35:06 AM
typo sorry, tired and think its time for bed lol. 3rd shift hours gotta love em. I ment to say CAP had member present for the funeral and a PAO got closer than most others during the services.

The story about that is here: http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=EoRl1QHi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=345&p_created=1176150365&p_olh=0

md132

I remember the funeral.  It was then Capt. Steven Solomon.  At the time I believe he was either MD Wing's or MER's PAO, don't remember.  

JoeTomasone

Quote from: md132 on January 22, 2009, 11:45:42 AM
I remember the funeral.  It was then Capt. Steven Solomon.  At the time I believe he was either MD Wing's or MER's PAO, don't remember.  

He's still a Captain and is the SER PAO.   

RiverAux

The question is whether or not this was an official CAP activity -- that is what controls whether the CAP uniform can be worn.  If he was invited to the inauguration as a private individual and then decided on his own to wear the CAP uniform, it would violate CAP regulations.  If he got permission from the appropriate commander to wear his uniform for the public relations value, that would be fine. 

Pylon

Quote from: RiverAux on January 22, 2009, 07:33:53 PM
The question is whether or not this was an official CAP activity -- that is what controls whether the CAP uniform can be worn.  If he was invited to the inauguration as a private individual and then decided on his own to wear the CAP uniform, it would violate CAP regulations.  If he got permission from the appropriate commander to wear his uniform for the public relations value, that would be fine. 

And since any of us probably can't know whether or not he did so means any further is unbased speculation. We're all aware of the uniform regulations and how they work.   So leaving it at that, let's not engage in uninformed speculation.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP