The "Don't Hurt your feelings police"

Started by jimmydeanno, September 08, 2008, 05:39:04 PM

ColonelJack

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2008, 06:08:00 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on September 10, 2008, 04:44:44 PM
I've never been afraid to put my name to my posts.  But if you restrict membership to showing CAP ID numbers, or some such ... what about us retired folk or those not in the organization any more?  We wanna play too!!!

My ongoing question, with no insult intended, is "Why?"

No insult taken.  And you'd have as many different answers to your question as there are people out there.  I like to keep in touch with the organization, with an eye toward coming out of retirement and back into active CAP service.  (As soon as I can find the time -- you wouldn't believe how busy I am.)  I can't speak for others, but my time in CAP was extremely rewarding.  Being able to keep up with things through a group like CAPTalk would make it much easier for me to "catch up" with the way things are run these days when I finally do rejoin.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

fyrfitrmedic

One behavior that I've seen here as well as on just about every other message board I've encountered is the kind of person who engages in downright reprehensible behavior from time to time but makages not to get the flick because they start into a bit of apologiy and self-deprecation, sometimes followed by a short self-imposed "vacation".

No  matter the politics at whatever echelon, I've never personally quite understood the apparent need for anonymity by some, but that may be just me...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Flying Pig

One thing I find funny is that one of our most notorious frequent and anonymous CAPTalkers hasnt been seen around in a while.  I wonder why that is?

AvroArrow

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 09, 2008, 04:36:51 PM
Quote from: jeders on September 09, 2008, 04:05:20 PM

Let me clarify my earlier statement. I have no problem helping someone find the answer or clarify interpretations, as long as they at least look at the reg. I also have no problem saying, "look at CAPX AB-C which can be found at such and such location." I am not, however, going to just give them the answer.

A friend of mine standing next to me took a look at my computer and said to this...and I quote "Whoa... a real 'holier than thou' arguement on a CAP forum.  Wow!!!  And you wonder why I haven't got my fingerprint cards filled out."

You all don't realize how damaging some posts here are to CAP Public Affairs and recruiting.

Now my part...

Why aren't you going to give them the answer?  Does it hurt you to help a new fellow?

Plus, as I have come to note here...there are 1) numerous letters and policy changes that are not in any reg, 2) there are unwritten and uncodified "rules" that people here seem to hold in high regard, 3) there are USAF and other service conventions that "try as one might" will never be found in CAP publications.  4) Regional and Wing differences, 5) Local conventions and a host of other things that the attitiude of "look it up yourself" just won't answer and 6) search engines don't help people who have no "frame of reference" to the subject they are searching for.

Also, and have been needing to say this...this may be the proper time or not...

As CAP, we have to hold ourselves to a higher standard and public stance.  Some pointed out that the USAF forums are worse.  The USAF does not have to justify itself as CAP does.  Because of our dual nature and auxiliary status, we have to look professional at all times.  USAF folks can simply be granted that by wearing the uniform, the grey shouldermarks of CAP require that we work together at ALL TIMES.  When we don't we are all marked as posers and pretenders, that really mustn't be allowed.

When a problem is identified, it should be dealt with swiftly and with honor and respect.  Not with the sort of negative style of education, but with the idea that we are here to HELP and IMPROVE.

Do you know what happens in a classroom when the tactics y'all have been employing to "teach a lesson" through embarrasment is done?  Students shut down, they experience "true" (not the artificial type) low self-esteem and morale.  They shut down and lose respect for the teacher.  It leads to more problems.  Plus, the rest come to view the teacher as an "unreasonable blowhard" and general "Captain Harris," of Police Academy fame.   The quality of the group lessens.

However, when a person is approached face to face in private and the matter is talked out, the student sees the teacher as "reasonable" and many times (in almost all cases where it has happened to me) tge student improves because there is a true relationship between the two.

That is the crux of leadership in CAP...where subordiantes respect fellow CAP Officers and assist them into becoming better CAP Officers as fellows; so people will want to and look forward to accomplishing the missions...not live in fear of bullying ridicule and dogpiles.

As someone said earlier (forgot who) I usually like to read these forums rather than make a topic

But, what I would like to say is that Major Carrales is right. For one, we should act professional. I have had too many friends tell me that I'm just "playing soldier" in CAP, that I'm not doing anything productive, just pretending. However, they some of those thoughts disappeared when they heard that we helped Greensburg and Katrina  ;) Anyways, like the Major said, we have more pressure to act professional because we're not in the actualy service (well, most of us aren't and there are, of course, retired veterans).

Now, I'm all in favor of promoting self-reliance, I truly am. But some of the posts that I've made about uniform stuff is because I already looked, found an answer, but that answer was very cloudy, muddy, unclear. For instance, when my dad and I were looking up about the alternative corporate uniform (the white aviator with gray pants) it said several stuff about "civilian outergarments" and "you can wear this, but not this even though the USAF says you can" and vise versa. So, when I ask a question, I promsie I've already looked at the 39-1. Maybe not thoroughly, but nonetheless...

Avro

hatentx

So by makibg this a private forum then those who are interested in the program would go where to find out about what the program is about. 
If a person is not acting professional then call them on it.  I believe this is thw origianal point of this post. 
Believe me if I am doing something wrong please let me know your silence only adds to the problem.

Pumbaa

How about an interim step.. Easy change in the forum software settings.  You have to register to view and post.  This way the spiders are shut out, so everything said on the forum does not come up in the Google search.

With the type of discussions that go on here, I would favor at the least to keep the information from just being open willy nilly... Make the folks register to read...

MIKE

• Think before you post.
  • Don't be a prick... especially to newbies.
  • Adults should behave like adults... This is not an Adult forum, keep it PG rated as cadets are present.
  • Keep reminding yourself that everything posted is only a Google search away.  Think before you post.
  • Be respectful, and keep it professional.
  • Think before you post.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: hatentx on September 10, 2008, 11:08:40 PM
So by making this a private forum then those who are interested in the program would go where to find out about what the program is about.

This is not the place I would send a new or prospective member for information.

On one hand, many of the meaty, productive conversations are too "inside" to be of any use, on the other, the drive-bys and legalistic arguments we engage in (me too) aren't exactly a recruiting tool.

"That Others May Zoom"

ADCAPer

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 09, 2008, 08:03:09 AM
Look like you give a crap, because in that uniform you don't just represent yourself.  You represent me and everyone that is a fellow member of CAP.

You've had a rather remarkable change of attitude since the beginning of the year, haven't you?

Before you get too vocal with your criticisms of anything, or anyone in this organization, you should remember that a lot of people still haven't forgotten that you fried all of your credibility when you announced that you were returning to your unit to resign because you were so upset that things didn't go your way with the new Wing CC.

stratoflyer

QuoteAs someone said earlier (forgot who) I usually like to read these forums rather than make a topic

But, what I would like to say is that Major Carrales is right. For one, we should act professional. I have had too many friends tell me that I'm just "playing soldier" in CAP, that I'm not doing anything productive, just pretending. However, they some of those thoughts disappeared when they heard that we helped Greensburg and Katrina  Wink Anyways, like the Major said, we have more pressure to act professional because we're not in the actualy service (well, most of us aren't and there are, of course, retired veterans).

Now, I'm all in favor of promoting self-reliance, I truly am. But some of the posts that I've made about uniform stuff is because I already looked, found an answer, but that answer was very cloudy, muddy, unclear. For instance, when my dad and I were looking up about the alternative corporate uniform (the white aviator with gray pants) it said several stuff about "civilian outergarments" and "you can wear this, but not this even though the USAF says you can" and vise versa. So, when I ask a question, I promsie I've already looked at the 39-1. Maybe not thoroughly, but nonetheless...

Avro

I understand how you feel. It seems that this thread is just as usual. But a lot of what goes on here is venting and healthy arguments. But for the MOST part, people are professional. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. Just be respectful

I've been doing a lot of recruiting these weeks and I have never, not once mentioned anything on the web except for  gocivilairpatrol.com to prospective members. If they need information, the squadron commander is the ultimate source of information and /or guidance on a subject.

Once you've been in it for a while AND you know how online communities can be, then I will say "you know what, there's this little forum on the internet" if they havent already stumbled upon it.

Shoot, I got my little questions here and there, and I got to say...that this forum has been EXTREMELY helpful in many ways. It has also been motivating to see there are so many of us passionate about CAP out there. Yes, I have run into a few posters here that were less than admirable, but I understand what the online community can be.

But yes, let's do this correctly and professionally.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: ADCAPer on September 11, 2008, 08:37:20 PM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 09, 2008, 08:03:09 AM
Look like you give a crap, because in that uniform you don't just represent yourself.  You represent me and everyone that is a fellow member of CAP.

You've had a rather remarkable change of attitude since the beginning of the year, haven't you?

Before you get too vocal with your criticisms of anything, or anyone in this organization, you should remember that a lot of people still haven't forgotten that you fried all of your credibility when you announced that you were returning to your unit to resign because you were so upset that things didn't go your way with the new Wing CC.

ok gacapmember.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ADCAPer on September 11, 2008, 08:37:20 PM

Careful, that type of "one-upsmanship" can be just as distastful.  We should debate issues and leave the personal commentary for PM.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

Major,

Actually let him speak.  He has an opinion that he feels he needs to vent, so let him.  I have sent a PM asking him to talk to me.

Some people have been overly critical of me lately. BFD.  Let me try to explain somthing. 

Yes, my person for Wing CC  didn't make it.  Heck my 2nd, or 3rd choices didn't either.  Also BFD.  I took 8 months off CAP too reflect on why I was a member.  most of my very close and personal friends chose to leave CAP for calmer waters.  Thay is their choice and I will defend my friends.  If some one has ill feelings towards my choice for best men at my wedding, once again BFD and finger salutes.  It was my wedding not yours. Moving on.

My dislike for the current wing commander is obvious, but I will respect the poosition and the grade that is earned, and they know it.  I have an an email that I can prove for this subject.  But here is what not known. 

I have about 10 emails from wing leadership asking for my credentials to see where I could best fit in to the wing.  I took time off to realize that my love for CAP far outwieghs my dislike for many topics.

Let me make my self clear on this.  My reason for comments in January (8 months ago BTW) came across wrong and I realize that.  My choice for Wing CC was not selected, but thats not why I was upset and angered.  My anger came from HOW it was handeled.

Lets talk credibility for one brief moment.  It has been claimed that I have none, and that wing leadership wants me out.  Thats why I am the Deputy Commander for a local squadron and just been named back onto Wing Staff as ES Training Officer.  Somthing about no credibility.....?

So gacapmember (your CAPInsights name) you have a PM waiting, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Mods, please do not lock this forum, there needs to be a place for this discussion, and aparently it needs to be here and now.

MIKE

Mike Johnston