Started by jb3, July 25, 2008, 09:45:06 AM

Snake Doctor

Any luck with finding the unit?

Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jb3

No luck yet. I called the numbers that NHQ and the base information have but nothing. NHQ told me that the squadron commander's membership was not renewed this year and they can't get in contact with the other senior member. I'm not giving up but it doesn't look good. All the other youth organizations are thriving on the other hand. I'll keep you posted.

Snake Doctor

That would be a shame if the unit folded.  JB3, You said you lived on Kadena.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your affiliation to the base? 

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

jb3

I'm in the Army and Kadena Air Base has the closest housing. As far as CAP goes I'm sure that there will be an active unit here before I leave. I just hope that I have something to work with. The problem here is the lack of long term civilians to recruit. When I was commander of Fayetteville Composite Squadron on Fort Bragg I actively recruited cilivilans as opposed to active duty personnel (although we did recruit those too). A common misconception is that military members make better CAP members. They have some basic military knowledge but I prefered having a civilian lawyer to be my legal guy and a civilian secretary to be doing admin work. A parachute rigger or infantryman has nothing special to offer other than the basic military skills and I can teach those to anybody. I'm saying this as an active duty officer so it's nothing personal.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: JB3 on August 10, 2008, 02:58:54 AM
When I was commander of Fayetteville Composite Squadron on Fort Bragg I actively recruited cilivilans as opposed to active duty personnel (although we did recruit those too).

I had the same problems as I moved from post to post on active duty.  But when I left Fayetteville, the new commander was a Falcon-Recipient Herc driver.  Good guy, drive an Air Bus for America West these days.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Snake Doctor

JB3,

As an active duty officer you'll be able to start a unit, if the past one is indeed past.
A big challenge to get a unit going, yet I suspect lots of fun.

Good luck which ever way it goes. 
Let me know if I can help in any way.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

swanny

Did anyone find the CAP here at Kadena? I am on Okinawa as well and would love to help out. Thanks.

whatevah

has this data been updated in the past year?

https://creports.capnhq.gov/unitlocator/UnitProcess.asp?pass=1642
Mailing Address:
18TH MSG /CAP UNIT 5133 BOX 10
Apo AP 96368

Meets at:
18TH OSS AWACS MTC, FTAC, BLDG 3445 SCHREIBER AVE
KADENA AIR BASE, OKINAWA JA 96368
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Eclipse

OK, a loud, crashing bump on this.

Did we ever find them?

I have a member being transferred and wants to join.  He's actually interested in starting a new unit there if he can't find the existing one.

Apparently he's had no luck with the PAO or anyone else there.

Anyone?

"That Others May Zoom"

Snake Doctor

Never heard a thing.  Got in contact briefly with someone in C.A.P. at Misawa AB Japan but he stopped e-mailing.

Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Eclipse

Everything on the web dries up around 2006...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

You might make a direct call to NHQ to see what additional info they might have over and above what's online. Keeping units going is harder with the new rules requiring AD AF status for the unit commander.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I'm stretching my detective skills to the edge and am making some progress.  If there's anything I can share, I will.

Is that confirmed on the AD AF requirement?  Could it be AD other military?  Anything you can cite on that?

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

Quote from: 35-4 3.bb. Squadron Commander. Since overseas squadrons operate almost independently, selecting a suitable squadron commander is vitally important. Squadron commanders and their replacements must be active duty members in the grade of tech sergeant or higher and recommended by the military installation commander. Units cannot obtain or retain a charter without a commander who meets these criteria.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

35-4 also says that the unit can only be on an Active Duty U.S. Air Force Base.

So on Okinawa, a member of the Navy or the Marines,in the grade of E-6 or above, since they are based nearby, could serve as the Squadron Commander, as long as the Base Commander at Kadena approves them.

IceNine

Not quite, it says the charter has to be requested by the installation commander.

Does not talk about the commander of the squadron requiring any on-site approval by base command staff

Quote from: 35-4Charter Policy. Charters will be limited to cadet squadrons and restricted to overseas US Air Force installations. Charters will be granted only upon request of the installation's commander and only where there is potential for a strong, viable unit. Since the success of the squadron depends largely upon the local installation, squadrons will be chartered only where strong base support is assured.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

And I suppose the the installation commander will recommend unit commander's when necessary.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Well, this is a Navy O-3 with several years of CAP and an active Mitchell cadet.  He'd be a good, motivated fit if he could get the approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 08, 2009, 01:41:43 AM
I'm stretching my detective skills to the edge and am making some progress.  If there's anything I can share, I will.

Is that confirmed on the AD AF requirement?  Could it be AD other military?  Anything you can cite on that?

Quote from: CAPR 35-4b. Squadron Commander. Since overseas squadrons operate almost independently, selecting a suitable squadron commander is vitally important. Squadron commanders and their replacements must be active duty members in the grade of tech sergeant or higher and recommended by the military installation commander. Units cannot obtain or retain a charter without a commander who meets these criteria.

I thought it had AF somewhere in there, but I guess not. The reg has changed since my stint at Misawa, but I don't have an olde copy to track the specific change.

I was a USN AD E-6 on an Air Base, and my interview with the base commander and the outgoing squadron commander lasted about 10 minutes. It did help that the base commander was a former CAP member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb3

Here is the latest and greatest: The unit has a charter but no members or commander. I got NHQ approval to assume command and regrow the squadron but have to get approval from the 18th Wing Commander. I've met with his people several times and keep getting an additional requirement. Basically I have to teach them what the AFI says. A year of trying led to a change of command so I'm going to have to start over a little. I'm still pushing ahead but not as rapidly as I'd like. I would love some help so please contact me if interested. I travel a lot with work but enjoy CAP and think that Okinawa would benefit from a unit there.