Main Menu

Okinawa squadron

Started by jb3, July 25, 2008, 09:45:06 AM

jb3

I am looking for information on a squadron in Okinawa. I have been here since January and still cannot find their location or meeting time. I wrote a letter to the address that NHQ has for the unit but as of yet have not received a response. I e-mailed NHQ and was told that they are also unable to get in contact with anyone here. Anyone with useful information please let me know.

IceNine

Hawaii Wing Civil Air Patrol
419 Lele St.
Honolulu , HI 96820

Telephone: (808)-836-3417

I personally would have started here before jumping to nationals

If the wing staff/commander cannot answer your questions there is a problem. If nationals can't answer them it just means they don't have up to date information.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Just out of curiosity, what does HIWG have to do with Okinawa.  Okinawa is an OS squadron and those report directly to NHQ...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

Apparently I don't own a globe... My bad

I retract my previous statement and walk away with my tail between my legs
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

Lord Monar used to be there. He may have good information. Shoot him a PM.

Flying Pig

I BELIEVE its on Kadena.  I tried to get to a meeting when I was over there about 10 years ago.  Sorry, best I can do.

Maybe try contacting the aero club there also.

lordmonar

I was at Misawa (way up north)...but there was/is a squadron on Kadena.  They used to have a small building there near the BX area IIRC.

If you get no joy on contacting the POC....try calling the Kadena Command Cheif and see if he can pump the Cheif's Mafia for a good contact name.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb3

Thanks to all for the info. I live on Kadena and will keep looking. I remember when I first joined CAP at McChord AFB. Oddly enough it was hard to get information there as well. I lived on base but it still took months of calling around to get in contact with the unit. Of course that was before the internet.

Capt Rivera

Is there a listing of all CAP OS units?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SarDragon

Here. Look under National Headquarters (Page 24 in this release). Looks like we have four now, two each in Germany and Japan.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb3

Once again thanks for the information. I actually have a copy of the unit listing and sent a letter to the address listed quite a while ago but have not received a reply. It is a PO box rather than a physical address and the postal folks aren't all that keen on telling me who owns the box. I'm going to have to step away from the internet and look the old fashion way with a bunch of phone calls and a couple office visits. I'm sure that somebody knows something as it goes. I guess when we stopped using MML and STR/PDRs we kind of lost regular contact with NHQ and apparently the rest of the world. I remember that when I was commander I had to submit our meeting location in addition to the mailing address as well as commander and his/her contact information. I know that NHQ at least has a location for me to start with but I'm still waiting on another response from them. I'm adding another device on my find ribbon if I ever locate this unit.

Ohioguard

If you find someone, let us know.  I was the commander of the unit, 1980 - 85.  I have a lot of historical information that I would like to pass along.

JEFFREY WANDELL, Lt Col, CAP

jimmydeanno

You might try making a trip to base real estate - they know who lives where and when...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 27, 2008, 10:43:31 PM
You might try making a trip to base real estate - they know who lives where and when...

Base Real Estate? What the heck is that? I've never heard of that office on an Air Base or in the Air Force period.

Actually, MWR (Morale, Wellfare and Recreation) would probably be the best place to start.
A look at the base phone book might help you find them too.

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Ohioguard

When I was the commander there, I report directly to the base CC.  We had monthly meetings where I would brief him on the squadron.  He approved and supported most everything that we did.

Some of the best time in CAP.

JCW

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2008, 01:23:06 AM

Base Real Estate? What the heck is that? I've never heard of that office on an Air Base or in the Air Force period.

Actually, MWR (Morale, Wellfare and Recreation) would probably be the best place to start.

Facilites Management Officer...may know if CAP owns a building or not.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PHall on July 28, 2008, 01:23:06 AM

When my wife was stationed at Langley [AFB], everyone on base called it "Base Real Estate."  They picked chose where units were moved to, decided who occupied what amount of space and where. 

They are who we worked with to move our CAP squadron when we outgrew the Honor Guard building.  Even the people that worked there would tell us to come down to the "base real estate office."  Heck, the base commander when he came in to see us recommended that we go talk to "base real estate" to see if we could get a few extra rooms in the building we were in.

When in Rome I guess.  I've never heard it called "Facilities Management."

Snake Doctor

I would like info on the unit as well.  I was a TAC Officer there for two Summer Encampments 1992 and 1993.  Never got credit for 1992.
I was stationed at Misawa and was part of the Misawa Cadet Sq.

The C.E. department to contact would be the Real Property Office. They would know who is in what building and have contact information for the buillding custodian.
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

stillamarine

When I was a cadet there in 89-90 they had half of a building on the left hand side of the road about a mile in from Gate 2.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com