Squadron Commander Term Limits

Started by blinky, January 15, 2013, 09:55:35 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
Some people want you to "shut up" and not voice your opinion.

I am curious.

Who are the people you believe who want you to "shut-up and not voice your opinion?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

blinky

Quote from: CyBorg on January 16, 2013, 04:41:26 AM
Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 09:55:35 PM
Some people want you to "shut up" and not voice your opinion.

I am curious.

Who are the people you believe who want you to "shut-up and not voice your opinion?"

Everybody on this forum for starters.

blinky

And darn if I didn't try to nuke all my rants - and they all magically reappeared.  It seems that the cardinal rules of the forum aren't what eclipse tawt day wur.

Eclipse

Quote from: blinky on January 16, 2013, 05:01:18 AM
And darn if I didn't try to nuke all my rants - and they all magically reappeared.  It seems that the cardinal rules of the forum aren't what eclipse tawt day wur.

Actually, that is precisely one of the "cardinal rules".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Blinky, if such a vast majority of the membership support your ideals and think the term limits are a bad idea then why are there only 50 signatures? 

Face it man, the majority apparently supports the term limits and for good reason.  This has been discussed at great lengths not only here but I am sure organization wide.   

MSG Mac

The CC may have to step down from his position if he has exceeded the term limit, but he can still be available in a different position to serve the squadron as either a Deputy Commander. An advisor, or at a higher echelon where his/her expertise can benefit more people. His replacement at the end of four years is in no way a banishment or exile.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pylon

Let's try to keep this discussion civil, professional, and adult-like.  Thanks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 16, 2013, 05:39:38 AM
The CC may have to step down from his position if he has exceeded the term limit, but he can still be available in a different position to serve the squadron as either a Deputy Commander. An advisor, or at a higher echelon where his/her expertise can benefit more people. His replacement at the end of four years is in no way a banishment or exile.

+1 roger that.

I see some Squadrons which have six or seven former Commanders, great strong Units. Then others for some reason have no former Commanders.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 16, 2013, 01:13:18 PM

+1 roger that.

I see some Squadrons which have six or seven former Commanders, great strong Units. Then others for some reason have no former Commanders.

People move up, move, quit, die, etc. A lot of commanders who get "stuck" with the job get burnout, and once they are out, they are OUT.

Private Investigator

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 16, 2013, 03:04:17 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 16, 2013, 01:13:18 PM

+1 roger that.

People move up, move, quit, die, etc. A lot of commanders who get "stuck" with the job get burnout, and once they are out, they are OUT.

Do not forget the Squadron Commanders who bullied members and when they term out they can not handle being told what to do by the new Commander, especially if he/her is not in their GOBN.

Chappie

Having term limits on Commanders (as well as Wing/Region/National chaplains) is advantegous to the organization:

1) it helps the individual from "burning out".   I termed out as a Wing Chaplain and will stepping down at the upcoming Change of Command (since the new Region Commander would have to name a new chaplain in the middle of their tenure should the new CC ask me to continue -- which would not be benefical to them) -- a full term of 6 years is a long time and it does wear one down after awhile. 

2) it does the individual/organization a disservice.  There is a Senior Member Professional Development training program which all members should be actively pursuing.  We ask/expect a member to pursue excellence by attaining levels 1-5.  If we do not provide the opportunity for them to advance in their service at higher levels of responsibility is a disservice.  The organization suffers by not benefiting from the input of a fresh set of eyes/hands.   Each member brings to the table a certain level of experience that we can benefit from. 

I have had the privilege of succeeding other chaplains (Wing and Region) and be able to build on their on their contributions/level that they took the group as well as contributing a few of my own.  Hopefully my successor will be able to move forward and take the region chaplain corps to a higher level.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 17, 2013, 09:44:23 AM
Do not forget the Squadron Commanders who bullied members and when they term out they can not handle being told what to do by the new Commander, especially if he/her is not in their GOBN.

I've seen that, and confess to sometimes being quietly amused by it. >:D

Like Aerosmith sang many years ago in "Dream On," all the things ya do...come back to you.

As my dad used to say, the people you kick when you're on your way up will be there to kick you on your way down.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: CyBorg on January 20, 2013, 02:31:08 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on January 17, 2013, 09:44:23 AM

I've seen that, and confess to sometimes being quietly amused by it. >:D

Like Aerosmith sang many years ago in "Dream On," all the things ya do...come back to you.

As my dad used to say, the people you kick when you're on your way up will be there to kick you on your way down.

Roger that. I also like what your dad said, I plan on using that too. Thank you.

tn485

SarDragon

All in all, a wasted effort. There have been 67 signatures since it was started, and only 17 in the last 45 days.

I have been an active member of CAP for about 30 years, both as a cadet and a senior member. I have been both situations regarding commander terms - serve as long as you want, and term-limited. I've been in an overseas cadet squadron, with its own peculiarities. In my current unit, we've had two commanders term out, one die, and one leave two months after taking over due to family issues. We have managed to soldier on in spite of all that.

I firmly believe that term limits, and responsible training by commanders, is the best way to run the show. It brings new ideas into the units, and trains up folks to move up the command chain. New group and wing commanders have to come from somewhere.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

tn485

I know it was a wasted effort, but I was willing to try.

I stood up for what I believe is right.  If at the end of the day, that's all I can say, then I will go home proud to be able to say I was firm in my beliefs and stood up for what I think is right.

Eclipse

Anonymously signing a petition no one will ever read isn't "standing up for what you believe", it's wasting valuable bandwidth.

Write a physical letter to the national commander, that's actually doing something.

One of these days people will understand that the attention paid to complaints is directly proportional to the effort made in presenting them. 

"That Others May Zoom"

tn485

Valuable bandwidth...LOL.  90+ percent of internet usage is Netflix/Hulu/Other video streaming sites and my signing a petition is wasting valuable bandwidth? Not to mention that it wasn't anonymous.  The national commander could see exactly who I am if he cared to.

And don't think for a second that all I did was sign that petition and forget about it.  I've spent more time than you think on the phone, writing letters, and meeting in person with CAP staff and officials.  When it's all said and done, I may have nothing to show for it, but I tried.  And there's quite a few people who would back me up on that.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tn485 on March 03, 2013, 04:20:07 AM
And don't think for a second that all I did was sign that petition and forget about it.  I've spent more time than you think on the phone, writing letters, and meeting in person with CAP staff and officials.  When it's all said and done, I may have nothing to show for it, but I tried.  And there's quite a few people who would back me up on that.

Call.

(This is where you show your hand).