Squadron Commander Term Limits

Started by blinky, January 15, 2013, 09:55:35 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: tn485 on March 03, 2013, 02:45:53 AM

I stood up for what I believe is right.  If at the end of the day, that's all I can say, then I will go home proud to be able to say I was firm in my beliefs and stood up for what I think is right.

To keep it in perspective, racists, bigots and morons, to name a few, believe they are right too   >:D

tn485

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 03, 2013, 09:26:36 PM
Quote from: tn485 on March 03, 2013, 02:45:53 AM

I stood up for what I believe is right.  If at the end of the day, that's all I can say, then I will go home proud to be able to say I was firm in my beliefs and stood up for what I think is right.

To keep it in perspective, racists, bigots and morons, to name a few, believe they are right too   >:D

True...Just be sure you keep that in mind as well.

spaatzmom

Quote from: blinky on January 15, 2013, 11:39:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 15, 2013, 11:19:56 PM
Can I suggest you step up and command?

Considering it to be sure, but the SC is a time consuming job that needs devotion to be done correctly.  I unfortunately am not in a position to devote that time.  Wish I was.  Which makes it even more of a shame because our SC does and he is good.

What is a SC?  You say you have been a SM for 5 years but it seems you have little idea of the structure of CAP.  What type of SM are you, ie rank or patron?  If you are a patron member you have no say in anything and cannot hold any position in the organization.  If a rank type of member you need to progress in the professional development side of things so you can have a better understanding of the totality of CAP.  SC means nothing in CAP as it doesn't exist.  If you are referring to the squadron commander the proper abbreviation is CC.  This little insight into your relationship indicates that you have little grasp on CAP in general, especially since you keep repeating it.

So you don't like term limits, ok it is your opinion, but others have their own rights to their opinions also.  I have seen the effects of long term "fifedoms" in CAP and for the most part the effect is poor.  I personally know of a squadron that had a commander for over 25 years.  He was dearly loved by the squadron members but the effect of his command in the end was stagnation; of membership levels, activities outside the group as he did not think anything outside of group was important, innovation in teaching, recruiting and retention, fundraising and progression.  Once he left his position, the squadron had difficulty with its identity and direction for several years and is finally coming together after the last remnants of his ideology has ended.  Fresh ideas are always needed and often come from change.  Change can be difficult but it is needed unless you don't mind standing in the middle of stagnant mosquito ridden water.  Life is messy deal with it and more importantly teach your children how to live fully in it, not everything goes your way.

Duke Dillio

I think that a big part of this issue is that some commanders believe they are being punished after all of their "hard work and sacrifice."  They think that people will look at them differently now because they are no longer the commander.  This to me is just simple selfishness.  If you are a commander and you believe that noone in your squadron is capable of being in charge, there are two options:  recruit someone that can do the job or train someone to do the job competently and then stick around and help them.  If you think that you are the only one who can do the job, you need to put your ego aside and take a deep look at yourself.  There is always someone out there who can do a better job then you.  You should do your time and train your people correctly.  When it comes time, step aside and watch your hard work become your legacy. 

In the military, commanders are usually around for about three years and then they move on to bigger and better things.  There is a mindset that the guy two ranks below you should know the mission and be prepared to execute the mission should the chain of command disappear.  This allows every officer to a chance at command.  Every CAP officer should be given the opportunity to command a squadron (temporarily or otherwise.)  With people staying in command for 25 years, this doesn't happen.  This is also a major reason why we have retention problems.  Some officers aren't part of the GOBC and they hit the glass ceiling where they cannot go any further in the program.  They then have to decide whether to continue with CAP or get frustrated and quit.  A lot of times they get frustrated and quit.  The policy on term limits should resolve several issues that we have in CAP.  Instead of coming onto this forum complaining about a new policy (which by the way, we see every time there is a new policy because there is always someone that will hate it) and then attacking us when we express our opinion, why not try thinking about the reason for the policy in the first place and then asking us what we think.

Patterson

Seriously, is there an actual number someone can provide detailing exactly how many Squadrons had/ have a 20+ year Squadron Commander that never changed??

Moving into command positions past the Squadron level is something that needs our attention more than the handful of 25 year Squadron Commanders.

Eclipse

Define "handful" most states have less than 50 units.  A "handful" becomes a meaningful statistic in those cases.

My wing had about 5 when they started enforcing limits, not to mention a couple of musical chairs situations.

The lines between the low performers and everyone else were easy to draw between the "mom and pop shops" and the
ones who treated I'd more like a professional appointment.

That goes double for people in the same staff job for extended periods.  We need term limits there as well.

The rebuttals that center around specific people being "great" commanders actually prove the rule and are not exceptions.
Personality-based programs always fail.

"That Others May Zoom"

LGM30GMCC

Another issue that can force wings (esp larger ones) to look at is 'in-breeding' of CCs. A new commander doesn't have to come from the unit itself. In some ways it is healthy if it doesn't. In places where there are multiple units within a moderate driving distance there is nothing wrong with injecting fresh blood.

Ex: There are 4-5 units within 45 minutes of area X. It makes good sense to look at any applicants for Sq/CC from any of those squadrons.

Additionally, this can be a way to move people up AND DOWN from wing/group structures. In my opinion Commanders should be commanders alone. They should not also hold staff jobs at the next higher echelon. I also believe that staffers at upper echelons should ideally not hold similar staff jobs in lower ones. (I realize this doesn't always work out, heck right now I am dual hatted but at the very specific request of the higher echelon commander.) Term limits can give wings/groups the chance to look at someone who is being a good staffer and moving them back down to command a subordinate unit and moving a good graduated commander up to staff at the next higher echelon.

Personally I also think doing that is ideal because it gives a staffer a chance to get back down in the trenches for a bit and reconnect with the tactical level a bit, and ensures commanders have had a bit of seeing the big picture. I think far too many commanders are so focused on, and have never been exposed to, the big picture that it affects how they run their unit and think everyone is out to get them.

Eclipse

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on March 04, 2013, 04:50:09 PMIn my opinion Commanders should be commanders alone. They should not also hold staff jobs at the next higher echelon. I also believe that staffers at upper echelons should ideally not hold similar staff jobs in lower ones.

Oh man do I agree with this.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on March 05, 2013, 03:28:32 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on March 04, 2013, 04:50:09 PMIn my opinion Commanders should be commanders alone. They should not also hold staff jobs at the next higher echelon. I also believe that staffers at upper echelons should ideally not hold similar staff jobs in lower ones.

Oh man do I agree with this.

You mean a squadron commander should not also be the wing chief of staff and director of admin as well?? Crazy thought   >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

CDCTF

What is this, the South Side Surf Shop? There are way too many "dudes" coming from one poster for my liking.

Private Investigator

Quote from: spaatzmom on March 04, 2013, 01:30:52 AMI have seen the effects of long term "fifedoms" in CAP and for the most part the effect is poor.  I personally know of a squadron that had a commander for over 25 years.  He was dearly loved by the squadron members but the effect of his command in the end was stagnation; of membership levels, activities outside the group as he did not think anything outside of group was important, innovation in teaching, recruiting and retention, fundraising and progression.  Once he left his position, the squadron had difficulty with its identity and direction for several years and is finally coming together after the last remnants of his ideology has ended.  Fresh ideas are always needed and often come from change.  Change can be difficult but it is needed unless you don't mind standing in the middle of stagnant mosquito ridden water.  Life is messy deal with it and more importantly teach your children how to live fully in it, not everything goes your way.

For some people they like the ideal of somebody's personal kingdom. It is different when they are on the outs with that king. So do you do what is fair or do you go with the 'good ole boy network'?

I think what is another problem is lack of overall CAP knowledge. Some people who have only been in one unit, i.e. Petticoat Junction Cadet Squadron does not know that CAP has a lot of things going on at higher levels. Especially when a C/CMSgt is going to his first encampment.