Main Menu

CAP = Big Brother?

Started by wuzafuzz, October 24, 2012, 12:06:27 PM

NCRblues

Did anyone else notice, than in his response to Mr. Robinson, he stated he had been in the army and was an NCO....

So...only the USAF is part of the mass conspiracy and not the US Army?  ::) righhhhhhhht
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Private Investigator

wow some people have to much free time.   :o

SarDragon

d00d's got a seriously slipped foil hat.  :angel:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Blues Brother

Quote from: lordmonar on October 24, 2012, 04:54:23 PM
What I got out of it.

a) All things government are bad.
b) Cops are very bad.
c) Uniforms are bad.
d) Logical arguments are optional on this particular site.
e) Godwins's Law is not inforce on this particular site.

I know nothing about an organisation that has existed for 70 years.....now I am concerned.

I wonder if he has heard about the dangers of dihydromonoxide?  :)

I just envisioned Mr. Mackee from South Park saying these......... Uniforms are bad, Mmmkay... Cops are bad, Mmmmkay...   LOL!!!!

Blues Brother

Quote from: SarDragon on October 25, 2012, 07:22:51 AM
d00d's got a seriously slipped foil hat.  :angel:
I know this might sound selfish and rude, but sometimes I love reading stuff like that or talking to "tinfoil hat" people.  they crack me up.  I cant help but be entertained by their views sometimes.  I know, its kinda rude as they are often so misguided, but I cant help but find humor in it.

JROB

QuoteAnd you can't post a reply to the article unless you sign up for an account. Oh the irony.

I noticed that...but I took the time to make an account anyway.

QuoteMr. Robinson, or 1st Lt Robinson, has posted a nice little reply in the comments at the bottom in case any of you missed it.

Excellent Job, LT!

I felt that the normal joe reading his post needed to be educated about what CAP is. The guy said in his very rude response that he's "done his homework on our organization", he turned it in and I give him an F.

QuoteSo...only the USAF is part of the mass conspiracy and not the US Army?  righhhhhhhht

No the army is bad too. His cronies sat at a gas station across the street from Camp Swift in Bastrop, TX filming they claimed that there was a FEMA camp on the base. When the base commander and XO went to confront them they refused to give any information. So the base commander called the county sheriff. His worst nightmare men in camo and men with badges.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Flying Pig

....OOOOOOO, not FEMA!  Thats pretty much a whack job right there. 

RogueLeader

I think I need a tin foil hat to protect me from the tin foil hatters.  Then I'd have to either get a ICL or a waiver.  If I did that, then I'd look like a tin-foil hatter, then they'd expect me to believe it too.  Nuts. . . >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Blues Brother on October 25, 2012, 11:28:57 AM
I know this might sound selfish and rude, but sometimes I love reading stuff like that or talking to "tinfoil hat" people.  they crack me up.  I cant help but be entertained by their views sometimes.  I know, its kinda rude as they are often so misguided, but I cant help but find humor in it.

I confess to the same amusement.  I think of the old Dr Demento song "Funny Farm."

I've had some entertaining online exchanges with some of these conspiracy theorists...what is sad is that many of them are quite serious.

If it weren't out of line with conduct in uniform, I would have really had some fun with this particular lot.

"Actually, this uniform also has secret insignia of the New World Order.  I'm waiting for the signal from Field Marshal Elvis Presley to begin preparations for the UFO invasion."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

usafcap1

I stopped reading after "Obama's civilian forces are growing, folks". What a joke!!!
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

bflynn

Disclaimer - I'm not defending the link posted - I've read it and I disagree.  So do you.  However, I'm going to make a request.  In the future, I'd prefer to see more RESPECT for all view points, even the ones that you disagree with.  Perhaps especially the ones that you disagree with.

Reading through this thread, I see the words "tinfoil hat", extreme, meds, too much free time, a suggestion that we wouldn't go find this guy (assuming we ever know who we're looking for), funny, worth a good laugh, that the cadet were aggressively recruiting, that the man is paranoid and unhinged.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of one of the four core values of CAP, is it?  There are ways to disagree, even to strongly disagree, while still showing respect.

It's an important life skill.

JeffDG

Respect has limits.

When people start blathering about 9/11 being an inside job, I break out the tinfoil and offer 'em a piece.

bflynn

Quote from: JeffDG on October 25, 2012, 07:31:54 PMRespect has limits.

NO.

Respect has no limit. 

It's not something that's only offered to those you agree with.  If you believe that that there are times to disrespect, then you're challenging one of the core values of CAP. 

You don't have to like it, but showing respect to everyone...as I said, perhaps especiaily to those you disagree with... is important. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: bflynn on October 25, 2012, 07:25:08 PM
Disclaimer - I'm not defending the link posted - I've read it and I disagree.  So do you.  However, I'm going to make a request.  In the future, I'd prefer to see more RESPECT for all view points, even the ones that you disagree with.  Perhaps especially the ones that you disagree with.

Reading through this thread, I see the words "tinfoil hat", extreme, meds, too much free time, a suggestion that we wouldn't go find this guy (assuming we ever know who we're looking for), funny, worth a good laugh, that the cadet were aggressively recruiting, that the man is paranoid and unhinged.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of one of the four core values of CAP, is it?  There are ways to disagree, even to strongly disagree, while still showing respect.

It's an important life skill.

Please keep in mind that CAPTalk is NOT an official CAP outlet. There are a lot of varying lifestyles, opinions, religions, political views etc that are expressed here. True, NHQ and lower commands peruse this board but it is NOT an official outlet.

The poster in the linked article was pretty critical of CAP, what little he knows about it. Of course we are going to respond in kind. Had he been a CAP member spouting off this bilge then yes, I'm pretty sure that we would be a little gentler, but not too much (think Radioman).

Yes, we need to be a little more tolerant of any view points, but this was a bit extreme. Why post it if you don't think we're going to have a knee-jerk reaction? It's really too bad that we can't find the guy and explain to him what CAP is about, little good that it might do. Once people start with the conspiracy theories, it's really hard to explain the facts to them.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JeffDG

Quote from: bflynn on October 25, 2012, 08:49:33 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 25, 2012, 07:31:54 PMRespect has limits.

NO.

Respect has no limit. 

It's not something that's only offered to those you agree with.  If you believe that that there are times to disrespect, then you're challenging one of the core values of CAP. 

You don't have to like it, but showing respect to everyone...as I said, perhaps especiaily to those you disagree with... is important.
I do not concur.

Respect is a default position, not an absolute one.  If I meet someone on the street, I treat them with respect.  However, if that same person begins regaling me with tales of his participation in KKK meetings, and the superiority of the White Race, my respect will end rather abruptly.  I will not give any respect to people such as that.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^I have found that once someone is set in their way of thinking, it takes nothing less than a miracle to change that mindset...and I am as guilty of it as anyone.

Living not too far from the Canadian border, I hear some really odd stuff.  A couple of years ago, there were some Canadian Army personnel who came over to do exercises with the U.S. military, chiefly the National Guard.  The local "call-in" column in the newspaper said stuff like the "real" purpose for those troops being here was a secret plot to overthrow what happened in 1776 and incorporate the U.S.A. back into the British Empire (which no longer exists, except for places like the Falkland and Cayman Islands; the Commonwealth is quite different to the Empire), based on the fact that one can occasionally see the Union Jack flown in Canada.  Then, of course, the "discourse" degenerated into the standard gear about "black helicopters," etc.

Too many viewings of Red Dawn.

It is really hard for me not to see such postulated ridiculousness as a way to exercise my near-perfect poker-faced, wickedly dry sense of humour.  Example: I once had a co-worker virtually convinced that I was an android (of course, my dull-as-a-butter-knife personality helped).

However, I would never actually do it in uniform, nor identify myself as a CAP officer should I do so...and chances are I wouldn't even do it anyway, unless someone really gets in my face with it, and then I still wouldn't do it in uniform or identify myself as a CAP officer.

Quote from: JeffDG on October 25, 2012, 09:17:30 PM
If I meet someone on the street, I treat them with respect. 

As do I, until/unless/if the person gives me a reason not to.  Thankfully, that is rare.

However, if that same person begins regaling me with tales of his participation in KKK meetings, and the superiority of the White Race, my respect will end rather abruptly.  I will not give any respect to people such as that.

Nor will I.  My preferred response is to walk away and not take it any further.

However, I have run across neo-Nazi types before, big gut hanging out of bad knockoffs of SS uniform...my favourite tactic there is to start asking them questions in German (which I speak) and watch their bewildered expressions.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

The man is insane. I show pity, not respect, for these mentally incompetent men.

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on October 25, 2012, 09:25:55 PM
Living not too far from the Canadian border, I hear some really odd stuff.  A couple of years ago, there were some Canadian Army personnel who came over to do exercises with the U.S. military, chiefly the National Guard.  The local "call-in" column in the newspaper said stuff like the "real" purpose for those troops being here was a secret plot to overthrow what happened in 1776 and incorporate the U.S.A. back into the British Empire (which no longer exists, except for places like the Falkland and Cayman Islands; the Commonwealth is quite different to the Empire), based on the fact that one can occasionally see the Union Jack flown in Canada.  Then, of course, the "discourse" degenerated into the standard gear about "black helicopters," etc.
Those guys would have had a field day when the Canadian Army stormed a NC beach back in 2006

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=1&t=70103
QuoteThe exercise is set for Nov. 16 when a company of troops from Quebec's Royal 22nd Regiment, the Van Doos, will storm ashore from the USS Gunston Hall, an American amphibious assault ship.

Also participating will be detachment of Canadian Sea King helicopters, converted to carry troops from ship to shore.

"It's a chance to experiment, to build and understand an amphibious capability," said Maj. Mario Couture, spokesman for the Canadian army. "I'm not sure whether this is a lost art for us."

bflynn

However, if that same person begins regaling me with tales of his participation in KKK meetings, and the superiority of the White Race, my respect will end rather abruptly. 

You should walk away.  But that does not mean disrespectfully.

Then for you, it's about White Supremists?  Anyone else?  Those who are Black Supremists?  Someone wearing a confederate civil war hat?  Someone who disagrees with you about anything?  Those who have blue eyes?  Someone you don't find cute?

If you draw the line someplace, then you're not exercising respect in your daily life, which means it's not a value of yours.

Having been through a lot of this core value stuff with many different companies, I have to ask you - do you really embrace the CAP core values or are they just nice things to say so we mirror the Air Force?  Are they in fact our values and you aren't quite with them or does everyone feel like you do and the core values are just empty words? 

Because if they're just empty words, I'll quit defending them.  Buf if you embrace them, then I will continue to call you out for not practicing them ALL the time.  The core values don't have limts, they are about YOU, not others.

Which, to me at least, go back to so many threads on this board - respect is not shown in many places and harshness and hard feelings result.  When respect is shown and returned, there is an opportunity for change...without it there is resentment and resistance.