Politics...and not the CAP kind...

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, September 16, 2012, 06:51:26 PM

Nathan

I should probably make it clear that I am strongly differentiating between allowing loose political banter and using political situations as teachable moments to open up members to the full spectrum of debate so they can make educated decisions.

The goal of discussing politics in an educational setting would never be to convince anyone of one side or another, but rather to allow them to explore all aspects of the political debate and to educate themselves on what the arguments actually are. There is nothing inherently dangerous about that; we do the exact same thing in most character development classes. The only difference is that we're using issues that are currently important on the national stage, which fits right in to our definition of building dynamic citizens.

Basically, if we have members attacking EVERY political argument (on either side) with "Why?", then we're doing it right. That's how political thought is SUPPOSED to occur, and we have too many people who don't think that way. If we have a duty to built good citizens, and we DON'T teach them to think this way, then I'm not sure how we can claim to accomplish that mission.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Walkman

Quote from: Nathan on September 21, 2012, 12:11:36 AM
The goal of discussing politics in an educational setting would never be to convince anyone of one side or another, but rather to allow them to explore all aspects of the political debate and to educate themselves on what the arguments actually are. There is nothing inherently dangerous about that; we do the exact same thing in most character development classes. The only difference is that we're using issues that are currently important on the national stage, which fits right in to our definition of building dynamic citizens.

That's a little like what I've been doing in CharDev. Taking these situations that have broader political issues and, without calling out specifics, getting the cadets to explore how they feel about them. Then I admonish them to do more research and see how their beliefs align with others.

RADIOMAN015

It's NOT a good idea to talk politics or religion at CAP meeting/functions or even in the work place.  It can lead to interpersonal relations problems that could have been easily avoided.
RM

Garibaldi

TBH, if anyone at my unit found out my personal religious/political beliefs, I'd be blackballed in 2 seconds. DADT.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 21, 2012, 02:56:10 AM
TBH, if anyone at my unit found out my personal religious/political beliefs, I'd be blackballed in 2 seconds. DADT.

I would be too.  Not for my religious beliefs; I am an active member of a more theologically-orthodox denomination of a "mainline" church.  But my political beliefs...outside of the aforementioned bumper sticker on my car, if those were openly known I could probably guarantee that a good chunk of my colleagues at all levels of CAP would probably (needlessly) suspect my patriotism, since I do not fit into any of the neat little "moulds" that have become fashionable over the past 20 years...I mean, they would probably say I do, but I refuse to accept such limits.

I think there is a lot more "grey" (and I'm not talking CAP uniforms) among the American people than media of whatever stripe try to pigeonhole us into.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Critical AOA

Do you really feel your fellow members are so narrow-minded?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Cool Mace

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 21, 2012, 05:02:07 PM

Do you really feel your fellow members are so narrow-minded?

I honestly wouldn't put it past some people. Many people, even in CAP, are of the mindset of my beliefs are correct, and if you don't agree then I will give you hell till, a) you convert to my way of thinking, B) bug you enough about it till you quit.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 21, 2012, 05:29:04 PM
I honestly wouldn't put it past some people. Many people, even in CAP, are of the mindset of my beliefs are correct, and if you don't agree then I will give you hell till, a) you convert to my way of thinking, B) bug you enough about it till you quit.

Seen it, unfortunately, which was my purpose for starting this thread.

If said bigmouth is junior to me, I can first ask them to cool it and then tell them to knock it off if the kindly approach doesn't work.

If said bigmouth is senior to me...that's where the problem comes in, especially if s/he is in my direct chain of command.  I don't want to be a Captain forever.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

41839j

This is pretty simple.  If the topic of politics comes up, I will agree with the comments if I actually do.  If I don't agree then I politely walk away.  It is pointless to argue such things.

That is how I handle it.  I am not interested in controling a conversation or censoring the comments of others.  If the commander wants to do that, that is his perogative.  I would rather not see that in CAP, but that is how I deal with this.

Wild Weasel

I agree with those who cited the USAF's Officer's Guide; Obviously we aren't under the UCMJ, but we are patriots, senior members are CAP officers, and we voluntarily adhere to certain customs, courtesies, and disciplines as a civilian auxiliary.  Teaching cadets the importance of USAF taboos & customs by our example seems like a useful role for CAP officers.

Here are some taboos from the USAF Officer's Guide, all of which have merit for a CAP officer in my opinion:

1. Do not defame the uniform
2. Give no excuses
3. Scorn servility (bootlicking)
4. Avoid going over an officer's head
5. Avoid harsh remarks
6. Avoid vulgarity and profanity
7. Stay out of politics - "As a citizen, you have a right to your opinions and a duty to vote, but keep your opinions to yourself."
8. Look smart in public

"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future looks good." — General Curtis Lemay

Garibaldi

Quote from: Wild Weasel on September 21, 2012, 08:59:51 PM
I agree with those who cited the USAF's Officer's Guide; Obviously we aren't under the UCMJ, but we are patriots, senior members are CAP officers, and we voluntarily adhere to certain customs, courtesies, and disciplines as a civilian auxiliary.  Teaching cadets the importance of USAF taboos & customs by our example seems like a useful role for CAP officers.

Here are some taboos from the USAF Officer's Guide, all of which have merit for a CAP officer in my opinion:

1. Do not defame the uniform
2. Give no excuses
3. Scorn servility (bootlicking)
4. Avoid going over an officer's head
5. Avoid harsh remarks
6. Avoid vulgarity and profanity
7. Stay out of politics - "As a citizen, you have a right to your opinions and a duty to vote, but keep your opinions to yourself."
8. Look smart in public

I'd like to add:

9. If a cadet asks you a question that can be handled within his chain of command, refer him/her to his flight sergeant. This instills the need for utilizing his CoC for routine inquiries and not to ask someone who may or may not know the answer. And vice-versa, don't just jump the chain yourself, go through channels for inquiries and such.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things