Any way to make running more effective?

Started by AngelWings, August 25, 2012, 01:08:56 AM

Flying Pig

Майор Хаткевич

Silent Panther

Coming from a runner, I believe that the most important thing I can share with you is a small bit of advice tempered with a warning. Run long, hard, and often. Don't stop. If there are hills anywhere near you, run them. Often. Run on all types of terrain. My one word of caution, make sure that you have the proper gear (read - good shoes). I used to HATE running. It hurt, and I didn't like it. I visited a running trainer, and found out that when I ran, the arch in my foot flattened out. That was pulling the on the tendons in my knee, causing my legs to hurt more than they should have. Once I got the proper gear, no one could stop me from running. Our cross country race season officially starts on Friday, and I ran 26 miles on Saturday for an XC fundraiser. Oh, and don't worry, keep pushing yourself, and the speed will come.

Hope this helps,
- SP
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

Pylon

I've found what helped get my Marine Corps PFT run time down (and has helped a lot of other fellow Marines) has been:

1. Sprint intervals.  Running hard sprint intervals can do more for your "long distance" run time than running long distances will.

2. Hill work. Run up hills, both while doing your sustained/long-distance runs as well as sprint intervals.  Then when you're running on flat ground, it's going to feel 10x easier both mentally & physically.

3. Weighted runs.  Run with a weight vest or flak jacket w/plates (assuming your knees aren't an issue).  Again, when you're running your CPFT without it, you'll feel light and the run will feel super easy.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Dragoon

A lot of it is mental.  Run 2 miles regularly, time it, and try to get faster.  Then, when it's one-mile time, just take off at a faster than usual pace and tell yourself "heck, it's only a mile, I can smoke this!"  That attitude, backed up with the knowledge that you CAN run 2 miles, no problem, will speed you along.  It'll be over before you know it.