Publication of cadet information online

Started by 321EOD, January 18, 2011, 04:47:55 AM

321EOD

I am looking for guidance / regulation on what is and is not allowed/appropriate to publish online about cadets. (ie on Squadron/Wing webpages)

Are there any specific CAP requirements beyond the 'obvious' :

no addresses or phone numbers on 'unrestricted' webpages
no photos with names identifying individuals without the permission of parents

Thanks
Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)

jimmydeanno

There isn't anything, use your good sense and you'll be fine. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BillB

Where do you get the idea that parents permission is required?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: BillB on January 18, 2011, 10:42:18 AM
Where do you get the idea that parents permission is required?

Ever dealt with a pissed off parent?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

See KB article #1267 regarding this issue.  In most cases no release is needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Since the 1990's court cases in moany states have thrown out the "parental permission" requirements for photos. My point being that there is "no requirement" for parental permissions. It may be a smart idea to get it, but it's not required. If you think National gets parental permission to post photos of cadet activities on the National web pages, think again, they don't.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: BillB on January 18, 2011, 04:27:40 PM
Since the 1990's court cases in moany states have thrown out the "parental permission" requirements for photos. My point being that there is "no requirement" for parental permissions. It may be a smart idea to get it, but it's not required. If you think National gets parental permission to post photos of cadet activities on the National web pages, think again, they don't.

National doesn't need it because they have a F31 for each activity. I think it's a good idea to get permission before posting simply because some parents are over protective.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BillB

There is nothing on a Form 31 addssing photographs. The only parenttal release is injury or death.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

Quote from: BillB on January 18, 2011, 04:27:40 PM
...moany states...

I know if some of those.

A few years ago, one of the units here posted an entire roster of their cadets on a myspace page, which they were using as their web site.  They included addresses, phone numbers, e-mail, and the like.  Wing CC at the time was NOT happy.  I found it and sent him an IM in a hurry like "uh, sir - we need to fix this NOW."

ol'fido

We posted a blog the last couple of years at the ILWG Summer Encampment that featured cadets in all aspects of the encampment from inspections to in-processing to classroom instruction. Most of the feedback we got from parents was along the lines of "I saw Johnny!!" They wanted to see pics of their cadets posted. It assured them that they were alright and enjoying the activity. If any parents objected, I don't recall and I am pretty sure none did.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006