Main Menu

Mess Dress

Started by freeflight, December 31, 2006, 09:36:52 AM

captrncap

Anyone know of a good source for Mess Dress? I need it for a Military Ball in a week and a half. I tried my local AFB (which is 2 ½ hours away) and AAFES says it will take 6-8 weeks? Any suggestions?

BillB

eBay had several listed. BUT make sure it's the current style. And with that short a period until you need the Mess dress, you'll probably not be able to the the medals mounted and shoulderboards
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: captrncap on January 14, 2007, 03:26:42 PM
Anyone know of a good source for Mess Dress? I need it for a Military Ball in a week and a half. I tried my local AFB (which is 2 ½ hours away) and AAFES says it will take 6-8 weeks? Any suggestions?

Even if you got it today, you probably could not get the shoulder boards and the sleeve braid switched out in time.
Another former CAP officer

captrncap

I have the accessories. I got one on ebay but it didn't fit so that is why the short time frame.

DNall

And I assume it's beyond taking to a tailor to get altered? eBay is the quickest & cheapest source I know of. Generally these things take quite a while to put together. Can you not get by in service dress, or do you not have that either?

Major Lord

I made two attempts to buy Mess Dress on E-Bay, but because of the difficulty in sizing descriptions, ended up with two uniforms that would not fit ( Got them cheap, so I gave them away to brother Officer's)
I bought a nice new one at AAFEES and I love it. I have worn it at CAP speaking engagements and all kinds of CAP activities, including the yearly CPC banquet.  My main complaint about Mess Dress is that some members seem to think that the uniform is exempt from height,weight, and grooming requirements. My formula? Multiply your waist size by two. If the number is higher than your height in inches, you are probably a sausage and don't belong in a military style uniform.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

DNall

Quote from: CaptLord on January 15, 2007, 03:55:31 PM
I made two attempts to buy Mess Dress on E-Bay, but because of the difficulty in sizing descriptions, ended up with two uniforms that would not fit ( Got them cheap, so I gave them away to brother Officer's)
I bought a nice new one at AAFEES and I love it. I have worn it at CAP speaking engagements and all kinds of CAP activities, including the yearly CPC banquet.  My main complaint about Mess Dress is that some members seem to think that the uniform is exempt from height,weight, and grooming requirements. My formula? Multiply your waist size by two. If the number is higher than your height in inches, you are probably a sausage and don't belong in a military style uniform.
That's true. It's a pretty penny new though. I'd have to really want one for that.

TankerT

Quote from: CaptLord on January 15, 2007, 03:55:31 PM
My formula? Multiply your waist size by two. If the number is higher than your height in inches, you are probably a sausage and don't belong in a military style uniform.

Wow.  That is quite the narrow minded, unscientific, arrogant attitude.

I am within CAP and Military (Army and Air Force... don't know/care about the others) weight requirements.  I wear the uniform properly, and well.  Yet, I wouldn't meet your standard.  (I'd be close, but still over.)

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Major Lord

My Formula is not a hard rule, but a good rule of thumb. I think if you look up your height/weight standards, and apply my rule, you will generally find it a very fair estimate.  If you are arguing for the right to wear the uniform out of regulation, you are barking up the wrong tree. If you are stating that my rule is inaccurate, I just ask that you test it against the real world standards. There have been times when my own weight or hair length or beard growth made me ineligble to wear the uniform. I respected the people who have died while wearing the Air Force Uniform  and kept mine in the closet until I could meet the regs.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ColonelJack

And that, Captain Lord, is why I have the Corporate Service Dress uniform.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Major Lord

And God bless you for it sir!

biZarre

Anyone have a good conversion factor for the Mess Dress Jacket?  The size 46 that would normally be quite comfortable is awfully tight.  Should it be upsized a few steps?
Doug Kilian, Lt Col, CAP
Director of Cadet Programs
Minnesota Wing

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 15, 2007, 10:56:03 PM
And that, Captain Lord, is why I have the Corporate Service Dress uniform.

Jack

Ditto. Last time I wore AF-style service dress was about 20 years ago - and that was the old style. Considering military sizes tend to run small, and I'm about 15 pounds above max weight for my height, at least I'm glad I can wear an alternate other than the grays.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

TankerT

Quote from: biZarre on January 16, 2007, 01:53:40 PM
Anyone have a good conversion factor for the Mess Dress Jacket?  The size 46 that would normally be quite comfortable is awfully tight.  Should it be upsized a few steps?

The Mess Dress Jacket is going to be tight.  That's how they were designed.  If you want a bit looser, try a 48.

TankerT

Quote from: CaptLord on January 15, 2007, 10:23:14 PM
My Formula is not a hard rule, but a good rule of thumb. I think if you look up your height/weight standards, and apply my rule, you will generally find it a very fair estimate.  If you are arguing for the right to wear the uniform out of regulation, you are barking up the wrong tree. If you are stating that my rule is inaccurate, I just ask that you test it against the real world standards. There have been times when my own weight or hair length or beard growth made me ineligble to wear the uniform. I respected the people who have died while wearing the Air Force Uniform  and kept mine in the closet until I could meet the regs.

So, I'm not respecting those whom have died for our country, because I don't meet your "rule"? 

I meet US Army Weight Standards

I meet US Air Force Weight Standards

I meet CAP Weight Standards (by far!)  (Off the top of my head, I think I can gain about 25-30lbs before I hit the CAP max weight for my height...)

The formula does not work for me.

I'm 65 inches tall.

When I went through Paratrooper training, and could score a 265 on the Army PT test (180 is passing... so I was in darn good shape.. not Super-Trooper shape... but good shape...) I wore size 33 pants.  )Thus, didn't meet your standard.

When I was the Distinguished Honor Graduate from the US Army NCO Academy PLDC program, I wore size 33 pants.  Thus, didn't meet your standard.  (Mind you my school report specifically noted my outstanding appearance in uniform.)

When I graduated with honors from the US Army NCO Academy BNCOC program, I wore a size 34 pants.  Thus, I didn't meet your standard then.  (Again, my school report specifically noted my outstanding appearance in uniform.)

When I was named my school's Army ROTC Cadet of the Year, my citation specifically mentioned my outstanding wear of the uniform.  (I wore a size 34 back then... and this was not JROTC...)

I was promoted TWICE (E-5 and E-6) on waivers. (Meaning, I was promoted early.)  Both recommendations for waivers noted my professional appearance in uniform at all times.

So, during my 7 year stint in the military, you're saying that I shouldn't have been able to wear a CAP uniform because I would dishonor those who have died for this country in the Air Force, because my waist was more than half the size of my height?  And, I still meet weight standards for the Active Component, and wear the uniform well and properly.  I still shouldn't wear it?

Major Lord

No, you are deliberately misconstruing my guidleline. My formula is to make a quick estimate on whether  you are borderline on the rule. If you are in regs, you should wear the uniform with pride. If not, don't wear it. You are on the far left side of the Bell Curve distribution for height, and no guidline estimate can be completely linear, but it sounds as if you are close. If you meet the CAP uniform regs, than I think you will find that my formula is very close. Nobody is is accusing you of being a commie here here. It sounds like you have body image issues...

arajca

A rule of thumb is a starting point which usually works for about 85% of the cases. Obviously, there will exceptions to any rule. Some are more serious than others.

In Haz Mat response, we use the "Rule of the Thumb." If you hold your arm out straight pointed at the spill with your hand in the "Fonzie" position and you can see the spill around your thumb, YOU'RE TOO CLOSE! Is it 100% accurate? No. But it's good enough for an initial safe distance - usually.

DNall

Quote from: TankerT on January 16, 2007, 05:48:40 PM
Quote from: biZarre on January 16, 2007, 01:53:40 PM
The Mess Dress Jacket is going to be tight.  That's how they were designed.  If you want a bit looser, try a 48.
They are made tight. It's a tux, you aren't supposed to do PT in it. It's supposed to look slick & form fitting. If you're talking about trying on a used size & going by that, be careful though, cause they can be altered quite a bit at times. You have to get some stuff done on a brand new set, and it's just not that much more to get it super sweet.

TankerT

Quote from: CaptLord on January 17, 2007, 03:50:46 AM
No, you are deliberately misconstruing my guidleline. My formula is to make a quick estimate on whether  you are borderline on the rule. If you are in regs, you should wear the uniform with pride. If not, don't wear it. You are on the far left side of the Bell Curve distribution for height, and no guidline estimate can be completely linear, but it sounds as if you are close. If you meet the CAP uniform regs, than I think you will find that my formula is very close. Nobody is is accusing you of being a commie here here. It sounds like you have body image issues...

No, I'm not deliberately misconstruing your guideline.  I'm pointing out how inaccurate it is. 

If you actually took a sample, 65 inches isn't even close to the far left side of the Bell Curve for distribution of height. You might be two standard deviations away from the mean, but I'd be really shocked if it was three.

FYI - I'm not even close to being over CAP weight standards.  (30lbs isn't close.)

I think you're insulting lots of people that look good in our uniform, and wear it properly.  Yes, there are lots of people that don't.  But calling a lot of those that do, and very well mind you, "sausages?"  That is just rude, unnecessary, and unprofessional. 

I don't see how someone at 65 inches, with a size 33 waist, at 15% body fat is a "sausage." 

Mind you, I was an NCO in an Armor unit.  Armor personnel are short.  Probably 80% of that unit, while in good shape, and nowhere near looking like a "sausage" didn't meet your rule of thumb.

What I have issues with isn't my body.  It's your pulling something out of your fourth point of contact and waiving it around insulting people.  Too many people in CAP make stuff up and try to be "experts" at the expense of others, when, they have no data to back it up.

Oh... and... I did weigh/taping for my unit as an NCO for four years.  So, I'm fairly certain when I say 80% of my unit failed your "rule of thumb"

DNall

At ease, the both of ya. Formula mentioned as barb to fat people. Should come with +/- disclaimer. Flawed as it sits. no offense intended. Calm down. Moving on!