Pic the best and rate the rest...

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

Sergio Mendez and Brazil '66

The Baja Marimba Band

The Buckinghams

Herman's Hermits

The Carpenters

Not to sound dense, but WHO?

Ah, a voice from the other side of the generation gap  ;)

Okay, quick explanation for someone born >1970:

Herb Alpert-have you ever seen "Shrek" when the evil magic mirror is doing the "dating game" scene? listen to the background music, nice and brassy.

Sergio Medes & Brasil '66- "Austin Powers" (the first one) when Austin is running around Las Vegas, the song in the background is a bossa nova called "Mas que nada."  I think they also play "The look of love,"  inspired by groovy chicks with miniskirts, go-go boots, and big false eyelashes.  Look up the movie "Valley of the Dolls" in a search engine, look at the girls, you'll get the idea...

Baja Marimba Band-  More Austin Powers-type muzak.

Buckinghams- American Band trying to capitalize on the Beatles and the British Invasion, on hit that I remember was "Kind of a drag"

Herman's Hermits - Lead singer, Peter Noone appeared recently as a judge on "American Idol," sang the song "Something Good" which was also featured on one of the "Naked Gun" Leslie Neilsen movies

Carpenters - Early '70's brother & sister Act, featuring Karen Carpenter - They started off as singers in the street shows in Disneyland, Beautiful "layered" multi-tracked harmonies, like Phil Spectors "Walls of Sound" music of the mid 60's.  Most memorable song was "Sing" that was featured on Sesame Street.  Karen died from anorexia some years ago.

RogueLeader

Ah, I see what I missed being born in 83.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 05, 2007, 03:17:36 PM

It was a good year for wine, cheese, and births.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: Pylon on April 05, 2007, 07:17:07 PM

I finished High School that year ........  ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

Quote from: LtCol White on April 05, 2007, 07:20:44 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 05, 2007, 07:17:07 PM

I finished High School that year ........  ::)

In 1983 I'd been out of high school for eight years, was still one year away from starting college (long story there), and had been a radio performer in my town for seven years. 

God, I feel old.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

alexalvarez

In 1983 I had my 10 year college reunion!
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

bosshawk

Alex and Colonel Jack: you are both kids.  This coming June 10th, I will have been graduated from college and commissioned in the US Army________50 yrs.

Have never looked back and don't intend to.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Carrales

I was born in 1976, and graduated from High School in 1994. I graduated from the University in 1999 and have been teaching 9 years.

Being from where I am from and from which family, I sort of lived in three Generations at once.  I love them all.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 05, 2007, 08:56:00 PM
I was born in 1976, and graduated from High School in 1994. I graduated from the University in 1999 and have been teaching 9 years.
Really? I thought you were older then that... well I get that reaction when I meet people too. Born Nov75, grad HS (may) & joined CAP as a SM (feb) in 94.

Psicorp

Quote from: DNall on April 05, 2007, 09:41:57 PM
Really? I thought you were older then that... well I get that reaction when I meet people too. Born Nov75, grad HS (may) & joined CAP as a SM (feb) in 94.

Goodness...I feel at home now.   Born in Dec '75, joined as a Cadet in '92, graduated high school in '94, turned SM at 21 in '97 (stupidly let my membership lapse in '98), graduated from college in '99,  and after three job related relocations, rejoined CAP in '06.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

O-Rex

Yeah had me fooled too, considering he started this whole retro-music subject.

This Star Trek vs. Star Wars thing bled over to my work, and someone mentioned something from way back:

Anyone remember 'The Starlost?'  It was a pretty cool show produced in Canada that aired in the U.S. '73-74 and later went into syndication in the early '80s.   

The premise was . . . . now  get this. . . . Amish in space (no kidding!)  They made it work, though:  the story opens with a bunch of folks stuck in the 19th century in a place called Cypress Corners and a young too-inquisitive upstart one day discovers that Earth was destroyed, and that Cypress Corners is actually a bio-dome of a thousand year-old, 200 mile-long space-ark on a voyage to a new habitable world.  Needless to say, living in a spaceship goes against the grain of Amish culture, and this revelation could potentially upset the order of things, so (of course) he is banished by the elders. 

Then he and a couple of companions find out that the bridge of the Ark was destroyed, the crew killed.  It's been on auto-pilot for 500 years, and is a couple of years from its new-earth destination, and someone needs to prep for arrival, so they have to find the auxiliary control room.  The space-ark has a population of hundreds of thousands of people living in dozens of huge bio-domes, each with a different culture . . . . and the potential for new weekly episodes.   

There is quite a connection to other Sci-Fi shows & movies.  The Space-Ark created for the series was recycled for the film "Silent Running."  The star of the series, Kier Dullea played Dave Bowman in '2001, A Space Odyssey,' and '2010: Odyssey Two.'  Walter Koenig (ST's Checkhov) guest stars as a villain, John Colicos (Klingon Kor for ST-TOS and ST-DS9 **AND** Baltar on the original BSG) and Barry Morse (Prof. Bergman from Space:1999) also make appearances.  Creator Harlan Ellison wrote the screenplay to the ST-TOS episode "City on the Edge of Forever" (it was the first time-travel story for ST) as well as some work in Babyon 5. He's given some creative credit for "Terminator" after suing James Cameron for allegedly plagiarizing the concept from a couple of his works.

Ellison got into a big feud with the producers, and the show never made it past the fist season.  It really had a lot of great potential.  Maybe someday someone will do a remake. . . .

LtCol White

Quote from: O-Rex on April 06, 2007, 12:48:34 AM

Yeah had me fooled too, considering he started this whole retro-music subject.

This Star Trek vs. Star Wars thing bled over to my work, and someone mentioned something from way back:

Anyone remember 'The Starlost?'  It was a pretty cool show produced in Canada that aired in the U.S. '73-74 and later went into syndication in the early '80s.   

The premise was . . . . now  get this. . . . Amish in space (no kidding!)  They made it work, though:  the story opens with a bunch of folks stuck in the 19th century in a place called Cypress Corners and a young too-inquisitive upstart one day discovers that Earth was destroyed, and that Cypress Corners is actually a bio-dome of a thousand year-old, 200 mile-long space-ark on a voyage to a new habitable world.  Needless to say, living in a spaceship goes against the grain of Amish culture, and this revelation could potentially upset the order of things, so (of course) he is banished by the elders. 

Then he and a couple of companions find out that the bridge of the Ark was destroyed, the crew killed.  It's been on auto-pilot for 500 years, and is a couple of years from its new-earth destination, and someone needs to prep for arrival, so they have to find the auxiliary control room.  The space-ark has a population of hundreds of thousands of people living in dozens of huge bio-domes, each with a different culture . . . . and the potential for new weekly episodes.   

There is quite a connection to other Sci-Fi shows & movies.  The Space-Ark created for the series was recycled for the film "Silent Running."  The star of the series, Kier Dullea played Dave Bowman in '2001, A Space Odyssey,' and '2010: Odyssey Two.'  Walter Koenig (ST's Checkhov) guest stars as a villain, John Colicos (Klingon Kor for ST-TOS and ST-DS9 **AND** Baltar on the original BSG) and Barry Morse (Prof. Bergman from Space:1999) also make appearances.  Creator Harlan Ellison wrote the screenplay to the ST-TOS episode "City on the Edge of Forever" (it was the first time-travel story for ST) as well as some work in Babyon 5. He's given some creative credit for "Terminator" after suing James Cameron for allegedly plagiarizing the concept from a couple of his works.

Ellison got into a big feud with the producers, and the show never made it past the fist season.  It really had a lot of great potential.  Maybe someday someone will do a remake. . . .

The original BSG series in the 70's was supposed to be based on the Mormon experience. I learned that this weekend after being a fan since i was a kid.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

AlphaSigOU

On another, non-lockable topic.

The best James Bond is Sean Connery. Those others just don't quite measure up to The Man.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DogCollar

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 06, 2007, 11:45:46 AM

The best James Bond is Sean Connery. Those others just don't quite measure up to The Man.  ;D

Concur.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 06, 2007, 11:45:46 AM

I wholeheartedly agree.  And I've never seen Moore, Lazenby, Brosnan, or the others in a kilt.  Connery wears one and wears it proudly.

Today's Tartan Day!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

carnold1836

All about the kilt, I have two. One for formal occasions, I wore it in my friend's wedding. And one I used to wear at the Kansas City RenFaire.

Since I have a direct line genealogy back to the royal line of Clan Stuart I can wear it with out any fear of offending any one in Scotland. :P
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

O-Rex

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 06, 2007, 02:42:03 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.  And I've never seen Moore, Lazenby, Brosnan, or the others in a kilt.  Connery wears one and wears it proudly.

Today's Tartan Day!

Jack

Lazenby DID wear one for OHMSS: check it out.

Connery is the only real Scot (true to Fleming's character, whos father was a Scot and Mother Swiss.)  He was THE Bond.

Brosnan (a close second as Bonds go) is Irish

Lazenby is Australian

Dalton is Welsh

Moore and Craig are English

RogueLeader

So what do people think about thre show JAG?
I thought that it was a great show that really gave a favorable light to the military.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340