News of the Force=USAF Northcom Gives CAP new Assignment: Surrogate Predator

Started by wingnut55, September 06, 2009, 02:11:14 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on September 09, 2009, 03:43:23 AM
Glad those WWII B-24 pilots in CAP have the skills it takes to do this then.

Since when is a B-24 considered a fast mover?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on September 09, 2009, 05:11:13 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on September 09, 2009, 03:43:23 AM
Glad those WWII B-24 pilots in CAP have the skills it takes to do this then.

Since when is a B-24 considered a fast mover?

Compared to a C-182, almost anything with more than one engine is a fast mover.

Quote from: WikipediaB-24
Maximum speed: 290 mph (250 kn, 470 km/h)
Cruise speed: 215 mph (187 kn, 346 km/h)
Stall speed: 95 mph (83 kn, 153 km/h)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

I can definitely understand.  Its the same thought behind law enforcement agencies wanting cops flying their aircraft vs. civilians.  Military pilots being able to talk the talk goes along the same lines.  Now, like someone said before, once a civilian CAP pilot gets in the mix and gets the nod from his military "mentor" for these missions, things will probably change.  Seeing what could be on the horizon if this program is successful I would say anything we can do to hit the ground running is a good idea.

bosshawk

Since I am on the list of CAWG pilots to potentially fly on this mission, I have a little information.  I understand that only one of the planes has been converted, so training is going to go on over the next couple of months.  The 182 to be stationed at Las Vegas will be flown by NVWG and CAWG crews.

Other than that, not much in the way of info is being passed out.  Something about Secret Squirrels.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

It's not secret squirel....it is just a stove pipe of information.  Even the main project officer is sometimes in the dark on a lot of things...no because of classification just poor communications.

As for aircraft.  The first Q model is off or very near the end of the re-firb line and will be delivered very soon.  When the second plane is ready NVWG gets the old plane and LAWG gets the new one.

Eclipse

Those of you with prior military are generally more inclined to SUAC, which leaves less room for us to step on...er...leave a bad first impression.

Let the A-Team pave the way on this so we all get a chance to play eventually.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ranger75

As was mentioned in a previous post, information related to this initiative appears to have been stovepiped to select individuals and organizational elements.  Has the NOC issued any specific planning guidance, or operational directives related to the mission?  If a forum member has such, and the material has not been directed for restricted dissemination, could I ask for the holder to PM me with the document(s).  If not, I'll reach out to Ops at Maxwell looking for the same.  --  Regards

Flying Pig

Smokey

The informaation is somewhat selective.

We are just getting briefed and all the material has not yet been prepared.

But, from what I have...It will be a lot of fun (think kinda like CAP WWII missions but w/o real bombs). It will be high ops tempo, a week long + of training (we are talking long days)  and will take alot of work.   This is no slouch mission.  Folks must be able to get secret clearances. 

It will be a chance to play with the big boys, fast movers and the like. Very high profile. 
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Ranger75

Smokey  --  As someone who works in a TS/SCI environment daily, the use of a term such as "somewhat selective" confuses me.  My query arises from personal inquisitiveness and my role as the Wing A5.  If you are able to share anything beyond the tantalizing tid-bits that have been posted to the board, I would welcome a PM.  --  Thanks

Smokey

There are portions that have not been released and some still under development.

But the news story pretty well sums it up.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Gunner C

I think the key word here is going to be "pilots".  Anyone see something for observers or scanners?

lordmonar

Quote from: Gunner C on September 11, 2009, 10:14:28 PM
I think the key word here is going to be "pilots".  Anyone see something for observers or scanners?

The right seater is supposed to be a pilot as well (at least for the intial group). The back seater is supposed to be an experinced observer.

Thom

The first of the Surrogate Predator aircraft will be arriving at it's new home base in Louisiana later today.  Additional work on the Mobile and Fixed mission base locations will be commencing in the coming weeks.

I have no idea when it will be declared operational, but it is definitely moving forward.

I believe this falls within acceptable OPSEC parameters, even though this is a public website the information isn't terribly sensitive.

Thom Hamilton

AirDX

Interesting - the is obviously too big to hang from the belly, where I thought it might go.  I wonder how the asymmetric weight and drag will affect aircraft handling?
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

flyguy06

I have been a ground pounder at both NTC and JRTC.( they both suck) It sounds like a great mission I would love to be involved in.

davidsinn

Quote from: AirDX on September 12, 2009, 10:09:33 PM
Interesting - the is obviously too big to hang from the belly, where I thought it might go.  I wonder how the asymmetric weight and drag will affect aircraft handling?

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

rjfoxx

Go to the CAP homepage and click on the news section.  There is a photo of the aircraft with the "ball" mounted under the left wing.  The is also an article about the mission.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

RiverAux