Armed Alaskan GTMs?

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Major Lord

Mute bears can't growl, so the position of the listener is irrelevent to the ability to perceive the bear's growl, since it is non-extant. An irrelevent  cow that can't moo is a mute, moot cow.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

CAP4117

Major Lord, I appreciate your response and apologize if I misinterpreted your statements.

Quote from: Major Lord on July 22, 2012, 02:00:47 PM
CAP's policy of depriving its members of the correct safety tools to do the job is the politicization of the issue.

Not sure what you mean by this, though. What "job?" We're not police, and we're not the military. Protection of the public is not our gig. If you're referring to arming CAP members against bears, I hardly see that as politicized.

Major Lord

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 23, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Philosophy major?

I started out that way, but realized that philosophy is a great course of study for those who wish to either teach or live in abject poverty. I saw the error of my ways  and moved to law and engineering. Steve Martin, the comedian, is the only known philosophy major to ever actually make a living......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ol'fido

Quote from: Major Lord on July 26, 2012, 04:39:44 AM
Philosophy major?

I started out that way, but realized that philosophy is a great course of study for those who wish to either teach or live in abject poverty. I saw the error of my ways  and moved to law and engineering. Steve Martin, the comedian, is the only known philosophy major to ever actually make a living......

Major Lord
Now to find an Art History major who is making a living that doesn't involve serving coffee. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bosshawk

Or someone with a degree in Anthropology who isn't teaching the subject.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Critical AOA

I have always been somewhat amazed at people who choose certain majors and then cry the blues when there are no jobs or only low paying ones in that field after they graduate.  It further amazes me that banks loan them money to pursue their folly.  I am even further amazed when some folks in DC want all of us to take pity on these poor souls. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

I was listening to one of those "manage your money" radio shows a few months back....this woman was asking if she should go further into debt with student loan to get a Masters Degree in her chosen field....evidently in order to make any money in.......wait for it...........PUPPETRY!!!!!....you need a MA before anyone takes you seriously!

8)

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Critical AOA

I am surprised that you could even get a Bachelors in puppetry. Of course, some MBAs that I have known seem to think they are puppet masters at times.

RRLE

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 27, 2012, 09:32:02 PM
It further amazes me that banks loan them money to pursue their folly.

The banks are in an almost no lose situation since it is nigh near impossible to go bankrupt and get out of a student loan.

Dracosbane

1st - Can you imagine the sheer mass of safety issues that we would have to cover to carry firearms?  We'd have to hold safety discussions just to be able to hold safety discussions about firearms.  (Said while armed with his EDC sidearm)

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"Oh, Bull S*** Artist.  Have you bull s***ted this week?"
"No..."

JeffDG

Quote from: Dracosbane on July 28, 2012, 04:27:06 AM
"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."
[darn], that was a funny movie!

Major Lord

1st - Can you imagine the sheer mass of safety issues that we would have to cover to carry firearms?  We'd have to hold safety discussions just to be able to hold safety discussions about firearms.  (Said while armed with his EDC sidearm)

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."

I am not sure when they stopped, but Alaskan CAP Aircraft were required to be armed. As far as I know, they never shot themselves down, or had a negligent discharge. I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 29, 2012, 05:58:51 AM...I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

Now that is funny   :clap:

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on July 29, 2012, 05:58:51 AM

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."

I am not sure when they stopped, but Alaskan CAP Aircraft were required to be armed. As far as I know, they never shot themselves down, or had a negligent discharge. I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

According to Ed Bos's post on the first page, they never were "required" to be armed.
Considering he's a past AKWG/CV and he still lives in Alaska, I'll take his word for it.