Armed Alaskan GTMs?

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2012, 05:47:37 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM
Simply have one cadet carry all the food. Preferably, a slow one.

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice' Cadet Red Shirt?" >:D
FTFY.....1) Bear's don't like virgins....2) it is a CCP violation to ask a cadet his "virgin status".  >:D
Cite please.  >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2012, 05:47:37 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM
Simply have one cadet carry all the food. Preferably, a slow one.

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice' Cadet Red Shirt?" >:D
FTFY.....1) Bear's don't like virgins....2) it is a CCP violation to ask a cadet his "virgin status".  >:D
A. It didn't need fixing.
B.Bears are omnivores. They like everything as long as it's tasty.
C. It's either CPP or you misspelled the old Cyrillic abbreviation for USSR which is CCCP. If you think you're fixing something, at least fix it right.
D. Cadets today don't know about Red Shirts. Only middle-aged bachelor geek Trekkies know the reference...or Sheldon Cooper. >:D
E. Cadets are virgin by definition.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 07:46:20 PM
D. Cadets today don't know about Red Shirts. Only middle-aged bachelor geek Trekkies know the reference...or Sheldon Cooper. >:D

I am not middle aged nor a bachelor:P

I suggest you get out more...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on July 14, 2012, 09:24:38 PM

That is the safe presumption, and provides the least consequences if in error.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

OK, Sheldon . :angel:
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BillB

Patrick

Cite please about cadet status and CPP
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 10:32:47 PM

OK, Sheldon . :angel:

Well played sir.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 14, 2012, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2012, 03:32:40 AMIn certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears.

Actually it is California black bear. In CA the biggest I have seen was comparable to a large German shepherd. Now in the PNW you get some big ones.

The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here. The proper weapon for a Black Bear ( Although I understand they prefer "Bears of Color") is a 7 iron. CAP has not yet banned golf clubs....yet.

Major Lord
Member, PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Major Lord on July 15, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 14, 2012, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2012, 03:32:40 AMIn certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears.

Actually it is California black bear. In CA the biggest I have seen was comparable to a large German shepherd. Now in the PNW you get some big ones.

The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here. The proper weapon for a Black Bear ( Although I understand they prefer "Bears of Color") is a 7 iron. CAP has not yet banned golf clubs....yet.

Major Lord
Member, PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Great- now a regualtion will be written banning golf clubs and likely a bear safety video will become available in the safety module/ thanks a lot >:D

cap235629

Bear safety video would be so much better than some of the dry stuff we have already.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

rustyjeeper

true enough...
but SHHHHH........ :-X
if NHQ actually found out that there were bears in the woods;  there is  they would allow us to go into the woods. ::)

BillB

The more important aspect in this thread is ignored. Can you imagine the effect on bears in the woods if there were a large group of teenagers wearing BDUs running around in their woods? The bears wouldn't be able to tell a cadet in BDUs from his favorite tree to climb. And is that a bush that is moving or a CAP cadet in camo? Has that cadet come to the bear's wood to hurt the bears with their Rambo knives? What's needed is a Bear Protection Policy at the National level since bears are found in all states. Gangling teenagers cause harrassment of poor defensless bears. Have you ever seen an armed bear? Plus there may be a racial issue here with black bears, brown bears and even white polar bears. That issue needs to be addressed.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

rustyjeeper

Quote from: BillB on July 15, 2012, 11:19:20 AM
The more important aspect in this thread is ignored. Can you imagine the effect on bears in the woods if there were a large group of teenagers wearing BDUs running around in their woods? The bears wouldn't be able to tell a cadet in BDUs from his favorite tree to climb. And is that a bush that is moving or a CAP cadet in camo? Has that cadet come to the bear's wood to hurt the bears with their Rambo knives? What's needed is a Bear Protection Policy at the National level since bears are found in all states. Gangling teenagers cause harrassment of poor defensless bears. Have you ever seen an armed bear?YES, I have...for your information & future reference they have not one but--- TWO arms 8) Plus there may be a racial issue here with black bears, brown bears and even white polar bears. That issue needs to be addressed.Thankfully we now have a National Position created that will ensure our people do not discriminate and give the bears equal opportunity :angel:

Critical AOA

On a serious note, if any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

RRLE

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 15, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
If any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.

Do bears have a liking for homo sapien au poivre?

PHall

Quote from: RRLE on July 16, 2012, 12:51:58 AM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 15, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
If any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.

Do bears have a liking for homo sapien au poivre?

They're omnivoires. They eat anything smaller then them...

AirDX

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 12, 2012, 08:06:33 AM
Quote from: AlaskaRocks on July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

Wait till you experience Hawaii.  8)

Ground teams are typically unarmed here, too.  :-)
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Struts

As a summary to this thread, no, Alaska Ground Team Members do not carry weapons.

Quote from: AirDX on July 16, 2012, 08:56:17 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 12, 2012, 08:06:33 AM
Quote from: AlaskaRocks on July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

Wait till you experience Hawaii.  8)

Ground teams are typically unarmed here, too.  :-)
When I visited Kauai there would be wild chickens running around on the sidewalks and would be basically everywhere we went. That has to be a pain in the rear end.

P.S. Kauai is definitely one of the better islands to visit if you are ever going to Hawaii.  8)

SarDragon

My atlas spells it Kauai.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 15, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here.

Trivia answer; the last one died in 1940 in CA.