Armed Alaskan GTMs?

Started by AlaskaRocks, July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

AlaskaRocks

I've heared a lot about Alaskan GTMs over the age of 18 (Cadets and Senior Members) being required to carry sidearms WHILE ON GROUND TEAM MISSIONS.  I understand that Alaskan CAP aircraft carry firearms because it's required by law, but I was wondering if it's true that adult GTMs carry firearms as well.

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

N Harmon

Ground teams do not carry firearms. Not even in Alaska.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

bflynn

CAPR 60-3 states that there will never be firearms used in emergency services operations.  Alaska is not an exception.

CAPR 900-3 permits two exceptions
1) when required by law to do so.  The wing commander must certify the requirement.
2) as emergency survival gear in a CAP aircraft.  They will never be removed from the survival kit except in an actual emergency.

AlaskaRocks

Thank you both for clearing that one up :)

Flying Pig

Take a family member with you who isnt in CAP, but just happens to be "hiking" along the same trail with their 300 Win Mag!

lordmonar

I once knew someone who went to AKWG for encampment......IIRC they had "bear kits" that had weapons in them in case of an emergency.  Never heard of anyone carrying side arms routely.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ed Bos

Quote from: bflynn on July 11, 2012, 04:09:51 PM
CAPR 60-3 states that there will never be firearms used in emergency services operations.  Alaska is not an exception.

CAPR 900-3 permits two exceptions
1) when required by law to do so.  The wing commander must certify the requirement.
2) as emergency survival gear in a CAP aircraft.  They will never be removed from the survival kit except in an actual emergency.

The confusion comes from a few years ago when AKWG members were required to carry firearms in their aircraft survival kits (stowed away, not carried on their person) when flying anywhere in the state. This was where the "required by law" exception applied previously.

There is no such law now.

CAP Ground Teams in the state have never been permitted to carry firearms in accordance with CAP regulation.

Source: I was the previous AKWG/CV and live in Anchorage.

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

♠SARKID♠

I know a few years back they had bear spray (mace) training, but that's the extent of them ever being "armed".

Ed Bos

Oh yeah, I still keep bear spray with my gear.
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ed Bos on July 12, 2012, 07:25:49 AM

Attractant or repellent?

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: AlaskaRocks on July 11, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

As you guys can probably tell by my username, I really like Alaska and I hope to live there some day, I was just wondering if the Armed GTMs rumor is true.

Wait till you experience Hawaii.  8)

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on July 12, 2012, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: Ed Bos on July 12, 2012, 07:25:49 AM

Attractant or repellent?

Depends on how exciting I want my day to be.
PCR-OR-001

Major Lord

You don't need a gun, just a box cutter. That way, you can slice the Achilles tendon of the most disposable ground team member and make your get away! I support the right to keep and arm bears!

Major Lord
Currently armed with Glock 23
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Critical AOA

Quote from: Major Lord on July 13, 2012, 03:58:48 PM
You don't need a gun, just a box cutter. That way, you can slice the Achilles tendon of the most disposable ground team member and make your get away! I support the right to keep and arm bears!

Major Lord
Currently armed with Glock 23

Ah... the sacrificial lamb school of thought.  Nice!

Previously, I had always subscribed to the "Don't be the slowest one" school of thought when it comes to being with others in bear country.  But now I have an option as I get older and slower.  Thanks!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ol'fido

Simply have one cadet carry all the food. Preferably, a slow one.

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice'?" >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

billford1

If guns are completely illegal in CAP I can envision GTMs in Alaska finding a concealed solution like a 44 magnum. I suppose there could be an instance when the GTM has an unexpected encounter with a four legged beast that looks like a car with furr.

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 01:09:45 AM

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice'?" >:D

Just remember...you don't have to be fast, just faster than the guy behind you.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Major Lord

As a practical matter, actually killing a real life, "I am going to eat you" type Griz with a handgun is largely a matter of luck. If you can stalk one and pick your shot, its doable, but taking down a charging bear with a handgun while keeping your bowels under control is likely to be a non-starter. I have heard anecdotes of people firing warning shots at approaching bears being charged ( by the bears, not the police) and in other cases running away like kids lighting poop on fire and ringing your doorbell. In certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears. Although I have not personally tried it, I suspect that firing one of my marine pen flares would scare the bejeepers out of them. Maybe I will try it on a few cadets to gauge the reaction first.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2012, 03:32:40 AMIn certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears.

Actually it is California black bear. In CA the biggest I have seen was comparable to a large German shepherd. Now in the PNW you get some big ones.

lordmonar

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice' Cadet Red Shirt?" >:D
FTFY.....1) Bear's don't like virgins....2) it is a CCP violation to ask a cadet his "virgin status".  >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2012, 05:47:37 PM

"Sir, why do you keep referring to me as 'the Virgin Sacrifice' Cadet Red Shirt?" >:D
FTFY.....1) Bear's don't like virgins....2) it is a CCP violation to ask a cadet his "virgin status".  >:D
Cite please.  >:D >:D >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on July 14, 2012, 05:47:37 PM

A. It didn't need fixing.
B.Bears are omnivores. They like everything as long as it's tasty.
C. It's either CPP or you misspelled the old Cyrillic abbreviation for USSR which is CCCP. If you think you're fixing something, at least fix it right.
D. Cadets today don't know about Red Shirts. Only middle-aged bachelor geek Trekkies know the reference...or Sheldon Cooper. >:D
E. Cadets are virgin by definition.

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 07:46:20 PM
D. Cadets today don't know about Red Shirts. Only middle-aged bachelor geek Trekkies know the reference...or Sheldon Cooper. >:D

I am not middle aged nor a bachelor:P

I suggest you get out more...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on July 14, 2012, 09:24:38 PM

That is the safe presumption, and provides the least consequences if in error.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

OK, Sheldon . :angel:

BillB

Patrick

Cite please about cadet status and CPP
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on July 14, 2012, 10:32:47 PM

OK, Sheldon . :angel:

Well played sir.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 14, 2012, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on July 14, 2012, 03:32:40 AMIn certain California Recreation areas, they sprinkle those "toe-popper" firecrackers, that pop when you step on them, in the entry ways to camp rest rooms. This seems to do a pretty fair job of warding off our (mostly)  timid California Brown Bears.

Actually it is California black bear. In CA the biggest I have seen was comparable to a large German shepherd. Now in the PNW you get some big ones.

The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here. The proper weapon for a Black Bear ( Although I understand they prefer "Bears of Color") is a 7 iron. CAP has not yet banned golf clubs....yet.

Major Lord
Member, PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Major Lord on July 15, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 14, 2012, 04:40:01 PM

The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here. The proper weapon for a Black Bear ( Although I understand they prefer "Bears of Color") is a 7 iron. CAP has not yet banned golf clubs....yet.

Major Lord
Member, PETA: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Great- now a regualtion will be written banning golf clubs and likely a bear safety video will become available in the safety module/ thanks a lot >:D

cap235629

Bear safety video would be so much better than some of the dry stuff we have already.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

rustyjeeper

true enough...
but SHHHHH........ :-X
if NHQ actually found out that there were bears in the woods;  there is  they would allow us to go into the woods. ::)

BillB

The more important aspect in this thread is ignored. Can you imagine the effect on bears in the woods if there were a large group of teenagers wearing BDUs running around in their woods? The bears wouldn't be able to tell a cadet in BDUs from his favorite tree to climb. And is that a bush that is moving or a CAP cadet in camo? Has that cadet come to the bear's wood to hurt the bears with their Rambo knives? What's needed is a Bear Protection Policy at the National level since bears are found in all states. Gangling teenagers cause harrassment of poor defensless bears. Have you ever seen an armed bear? Plus there may be a racial issue here with black bears, brown bears and even white polar bears. That issue needs to be addressed.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

rustyjeeper

Quote from: BillB on July 15, 2012, 11:19:20 AM
The more important aspect in this thread is ignored. Can you imagine the effect on bears in the woods if there were a large group of teenagers wearing BDUs running around in their woods? The bears wouldn't be able to tell a cadet in BDUs from his favorite tree to climb. And is that a bush that is moving or a CAP cadet in camo? Has that cadet come to the bear's wood to hurt the bears with their Rambo knives? What's needed is a Bear Protection Policy at the National level since bears are found in all states. Gangling teenagers cause harrassment of poor defensless bears. Have you ever seen an armed bear?YES, I have...for your information & future reference they have not one but--- TWO arms 8) Plus there may be a racial issue here with black bears, brown bears and even white polar bears. That issue needs to be addressed.Thankfully we now have a National Position created that will ensure our people do not discriminate and give the bears equal opportunity :angel:

Critical AOA

On a serious note, if any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

RRLE

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 15, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
If any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.

Do bears have a liking for homo sapien au poivre?

PHall

Quote from: RRLE on July 16, 2012, 12:51:58 AM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 15, 2012, 10:52:25 PM
If any of you do go into bear country you should carry a large can of pepper spray.  Supposedly it works great.

Do bears have a liking for homo sapien au poivre?

They're omnivoires. They eat anything smaller then them...

AirDX

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 12, 2012, 08:06:33 AM

Ground teams are typically unarmed here, too.  :-)
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Struts

As a summary to this thread, no, Alaska Ground Team Members do not carry weapons.

Quote from: AirDX on July 16, 2012, 08:56:17 AM

When I visited Kauai there would be wild chickens running around on the sidewalks and would be basically everywhere we went. That has to be a pain in the rear end.

P.S. Kauai is definitely one of the better islands to visit if you are ever going to Hawaii.  8)

SarDragon

My atlas spells it Kauai.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 15, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
The Brown Bear was California's Grizzly cousin, Ursus arctos, which is completely (or nearly completely) extinct here.

Trivia answer; the last one died in 1940 in CA.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Cashboy on July 16, 2012, 02:25:29 PM
As a summary to this thread, no, Alaska Ground Team Members do not carry weapons.

Quote from: AirDX on July 16, 2012, 08:56:17 AM

When I visited Kauai there would be wild chickens running around on the sidewalks and would be basically everywhere we went. That has to be a pain in the rear end.

P.S. Kauai is definitely one of the better islands to visit if you are ever going to Hawaii.  8)

Kauai is my favorite island. I stopped at McDonalds for my favorite Hawaiian breakfast, spam, eggs and rice. I could not believe chickens on the grass in front of McDonalds   8)

Major Lord

Its strangely perverted to know that somewhere in the world, there is an an entire culture that loves Spam... I guess if you can eat poi, Spam seems almost a delicacy!

Major Lord

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on July 17, 2012, 03:50:08 AM
Its strangely perverted to know that somewhere in the world, there is an an entire culture that loves Spam... I guess if you can eat poi, Spam seems almost a delicacy!

Major Lord

And what's wrong with Poi? >:(

Equinox

Who needs a gun when you can chop that bear down with a machete?!!
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

ol'fido

Quote from: Equinox on July 18, 2012, 11:08:03 PM
You try that and let us know how that work's for ya, OK. Or, have your Next of Kin do it. >:D

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on July 18, 2012, 11:14:20 PM
You try that and let us know how that work's for ya, OK. Or, have your Next of Kin do it. >:D

Standing over a steaming pile of bear dung..."Yeah, I guess we were wrong about that guy. He DID amount to..."

Sorry, just had to say it.

RRLE

Quote from: ol'fido on July 18, 2012, 11:14:20 PM

No can do. Machete don't text.

JeffDG

Ed Bos

A tried-and-true method of differentiating between Black Bears and Brown (or Grizzly) Bears when you happen up on them in the wild is to kick them in the hind quarters and climb up a nearby tree.

If the animal climbs up the tree after you to eat your face, it's a Black Bear.

If the animal pushes the tree over and then eats your face, it's a Brown Bear.

Everyone is welcome to come up North and do some GSAR training with us whenever they wish.
PCR-OR-001

Major Lord

Sometimes a gun is the right tool for the job. Like that situation in Colorado. Very CAP-like thinking going on there....Its a good thing that none of those law abiding citizens had a gun with them, otherwise someone might have got hurt! Don't go to bear country, a theatre, a church, or a big city,without one, unless you can count on the bears having read the rule book and watched the power point ahead of time.

Major Lord

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on July 21, 2012, 04:10:26 PM
Sometimes a gun is the right tool for the job. Like that situation in Colorado. Very CAP-like thinking going on there....Its a good thing that none of those law abiding citizens had a gun with them, otherwise someone might have got hurt! Don't go to bear country, a theatre, a church, or a big city,without one, unless you can count on the bears having read the rule book and watched the power point ahead of time.

Major Lord

The guy was wearing body armour and a pretty complete set at that.
Unless you think you could have made a "Mission Impossible" style face shot in low light conditions after being gassed while not getting shot by the guy with the full auto AR with a 300 round snail mag you would have been totally outgunned and probably just another victim.

Major Lord

So are you arguing that passively standing by in that situation and hoping that someone else gets shot would be the wise, CAP-type thing to do? Roughly 80% of the people nation-wide who responded with physical force to potentially lethal violence in the workplace survived the assault. Fighting back (or running away) is/are the best possible strategy. Tactically, one good guy taking a shot from a theater full of seats at a guy against a lighted movie screen back stop makes the odds of getting off an aimed round or three ( two in chest, one in head) fairly probable. Have you ever tried to aim and fire wearing  gas mask? Its not so easy. Yes, I think anyone could have at least slowed him down with a bullet hitting center mass,clipping off a finger, hitting a knee cap, etc. Beats the heck out of begging for mercy.  Doing nothing and relying on the bad guy running out of ammo worked so well the last time they had a multi-homicide of this nature in Colorado......its now pretty much holy writ that the best response to an active shooter is an active shooter. Its been a few years now since anyone has shot at me, but as I recall, shooting back made a pretty darn good defense.

Major Lord

PHall

A gun fight in a theater full of people who are in full scale panic. Yeah, there's an idea!

Oh and Alan, yes I have fired weapons while in full MOPP 4. But full auto and a 300 round mag would probably mitagate the effects of the mask. (i.e. volume of fire vs aimed fire. You put enough rounds out and you will hit something!)

Major Lord

Where did you get the info that he had a full auto weapon? I did not see that in the media. Doesn't really matter, people miss even more often when they shoot full auto then they do when shooting semi-auto and actually take the time to acquire a sight. Its not like dualing in a locked clost with hand grenades.

Major Lord

CAP4117

Major Lord, I find it distasteful that you would bring the tragedy in CO into this discussion, talk about "CAP-like" behavior in that context, and then try to use it to voice your opinions about gun control.
The fact is that we will never know what could have happened if the situation had been different. Speculating only disrespects the victims and their families by turning their personal tragedy into fodder for a highly politicized debate, during an election year no less.
Regardless of how any of us feels about it, I don't really think that CT is the venue for such a discussion.

I think we should go back to discussing bears. Or CAP. Or bears in CAP.

/rant

ol'fido

According to the Aurora PD chief at a news conference, it was an AR-15 with a 100 rd drum, Remington 870 12 ga., and 2 Glocks(.40 S&W).

PHall- In a way, you are right. A person with a CCW who tried to take on a gunman in the amount of body armor and as heavily armed as he was may not have been effective. They may have become a casualty themselves.

But that's not the point.

The point is that whether you know you will be effective or not, whether or not you will survive, or whether you will be hurt or not, there should have been somebody who stood their ground and tried to stop him. There are evil people in the world with guns. But there are more good people with guns. And if they have the chance, they will stand their ground.

In the movies, they like to use that line(with several variations) that there are two kinds of people in the world, hunters and prey, or wolves and sheep. Well, there are three kinds of people in the world, wolves, sheep, and the SHEEPDOGS. Dave Grossman who wrote ON Killing and On Combat coined this term to describe the warriors and protectors of our society. They are the cops, the soldiers, the firefighters, the EMS guys, and even the ordinary citizens who stand up and say, "NO!" when evil people try to hurt the innocent.

If there had been a sheepdog in that theater, he might have been killed, but he also may have saved a few lives that were lost. If we have people who always play it safe, we are doomed as a society.

I like to think that CAP members are sheepdogs to some extent in that we will not stand for bad things to happen to good people. We don't stand our ground with shot and shell, but service and dedication. But we stand our ground.

So, Maj Lord is right too. One good person with a CCW who was armed might have made just enough of a difference.

Major Lord

Quote from: CAP4117 on July 22, 2012, 01:27:25 AM
Major Lord, I find it distasteful that you would bring the tragedy in CO into this discussion, talk about "CAP-like" behavior in that context, and then try to use it to voice your opinions about gun control.
The fact is that we will never know what could have happened if the situation had been different. Speculating only disrespects the victims and their families by turning their personal tragedy into fodder for a highly politicized debate, during an election year no less.
Regardless of how any of us feels about it, I don't really think that CT is the venue for such a discussion.

I think we should go back to discussing bears. Or CAP. Or bears in CAP.

/rant

I am sorry if you were offended or missed my point, my point is not about gun control laws. Colorado is actually fairly gun-friendly. This relates to CAP, in  that a Corporation ( the theater) created an environment in which otherwise lawfully armed gun owners could not be armed by policies restricting carrying of firearms in the Theater. (it is their option in Colorado Law as to whether they permit guns on their premises, CAP has no legal authority for it's policy, its just an internal breech, not something you can go to jail for) CAP's policy of depriving its members of the correct safety tools to do the job is the politicization of the issue. I have spent hundreds of hours working as a threat assessment consultant, , executive protection agent, and "Pacifier" ( Sent it to cool hostile workplace situations) and have been accepted as an expert witness in the field of workplace violence. I have been on both ends of a firearm in real life. There is no question that the number one winning strategy in workplace violence is to fight back, and to do so as quickly as possible, even if that only means throwing your drink in his face and rushing the assailant with a group of "sheepdogs" ( as the esteemed Colonel pointed out) Bunching up in the "death funnel" of the exit and screaming is not such a good idea.

Not being an expert in bears, I can't  truly know if rushing an attacking bear armed only with your trusty leatherman tool or Machete ( I always left my machete in the car anyway) is a sound policy, but my limited experience with campground bears suggest they will run if you make a lot of noise, and my experience with back-country bears is that they tend to feint rushes, and back off if you make enough noise and back away. As I understand it, most bear-related  deaths are a result of people inadvertently coming too close to a Mama Bear's cubs, or in some cases lying in your sleeping bag and imitating prey by crying. Taking down a bear with a pistol is a tall order, but if it is a matter of last resort, it may be your only option. Bears are big game, humans are "thin skinned" game, and even something as small as taking a .22 round in the foot is often enough to take the fight out of a bad guy.
In one course I took conducted by an Israeli security company, we were taught to focus on head-shots ( to avoid setting off explosive vests) and failing that to take femur or pelvic girdle shots, since these will tend to leave the bad guy immobile, so you can take your time with follow up shots to the brain stem. I suspect that taking non-lethal, non-incapacitating shots to a charging 'Griz is not going to throw it off its game. (humans are conditioned to lie down and die when shot by watching too much television. In fact, most handgun shootings are not fatal; I suspect there are a few on this board who have taken a hit with a pistol and kept on ticking)

Major Lord

RADIOMAN015

Is this discussion really just a mute (moot -- corrected) point :-\  I haven't seen ANY press releases/press coverage that even shows Alaska wing is using ground teams for actual mission :-\ ???.  The press I've seen indicates a CAP aircraft spots the wreckage and the ANG or USCG helo units (or the State Police) fly into the crash site or if close enough the nearest town's public safety responds on ATV's or snow mobiles.
RM     

Garibaldi

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 22, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
Is this discussion really just a mute point :-\  I haven't seen ANY press releases/press coverage that even shows Alaska wing is using ground teams for actual mission :-\ ???.  The press I've seen indicates a CAP aircraft spots the wreckage and the ANG or USCG helo units (or the State Police) fly into the crash site or if close enough the nearest town's public safety responds on ATV's or snow mobiles.
RM   

moot, not mute /pedantic

Critical AOA

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 22, 2012, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 22, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
Is this discussion really just a mute point :-\  I haven't seen ANY press releases/press coverage that even shows Alaska wing is using ground teams for actual mission :-\ ???.  The press I've seen indicates a CAP aircraft spots the wreckage and the ANG or USCG helo units (or the State Police) fly into the crash site or if close enough the nearest town's public safety responds on ATV's or snow mobiles.
RM   

moot, not mute /pedantic

Ah, but if a bear growls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, is it a mute bear?  Or is that another moot point? 

Major Lord

Mute bears can't growl, so the position of the listener is irrelevent to the ability to perceive the bear's growl, since it is non-extant. An irrelevent  cow that can't moo is a mute, moot cow.

Major Lord

Critical AOA

CAP4117

Major Lord, I appreciate your response and apologize if I misinterpreted your statements.

Quote from: Major Lord on July 22, 2012, 02:00:47 PM
CAP's policy of depriving its members of the correct safety tools to do the job is the politicization of the issue.

Not sure what you mean by this, though. What "job?" We're not police, and we're not the military. Protection of the public is not our gig. If you're referring to arming CAP members against bears, I hardly see that as politicized.

Major Lord

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 23, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Philosophy major?

I started out that way, but realized that philosophy is a great course of study for those who wish to either teach or live in abject poverty. I saw the error of my ways  and moved to law and engineering. Steve Martin, the comedian, is the only known philosophy major to ever actually make a living......

Major Lord

ol'fido

Quote from: Major Lord on July 26, 2012, 04:39:44 AM
Philosophy major?

I started out that way, but realized that philosophy is a great course of study for those who wish to either teach or live in abject poverty. I saw the error of my ways  and moved to law and engineering. Steve Martin, the comedian, is the only known philosophy major to ever actually make a living......

Major Lord
Now to find an Art History major who is making a living that doesn't involve serving coffee. >:D

bosshawk

Or someone with a degree in Anthropology who isn't teaching the subject.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Critical AOA

I have always been somewhat amazed at people who choose certain majors and then cry the blues when there are no jobs or only low paying ones in that field after they graduate.  It further amazes me that banks loan them money to pursue their folly.  I am even further amazed when some folks in DC want all of us to take pity on these poor souls. 

lordmonar

I was listening to one of those "manage your money" radio shows a few months back....this woman was asking if she should go further into debt with student loan to get a Masters Degree in her chosen field....evidently in order to make any money in.......wait for it...........PUPPETRY!!!!!....you need a MA before anyone takes you seriously!

8)

Critical AOA

I am surprised that you could even get a Bachelors in puppetry. Of course, some MBAs that I have known seem to think they are puppet masters at times.

RRLE

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 27, 2012, 09:32:02 PM
It further amazes me that banks loan them money to pursue their folly.

The banks are in an almost no lose situation since it is nigh near impossible to go bankrupt and get out of a student loan.

Dracosbane

1st - Can you imagine the sheer mass of safety issues that we would have to cover to carry firearms?  We'd have to hold safety discussions just to be able to hold safety discussions about firearms.  (Said while armed with his EDC sidearm)

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"Oh, Bull S*** Artist.  Have you bull s***ted this week?"
"No..."

JeffDG

Quote from: Dracosbane on July 28, 2012, 04:27:06 AM
"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."
[darn], that was a funny movie!

Major Lord

1st - Can you imagine the sheer mass of safety issues that we would have to cover to carry firearms?  We'd have to hold safety discussions just to be able to hold safety discussions about firearms.  (Said while armed with his EDC sidearm)

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."

I am not sure when they stopped, but Alaskan CAP Aircraft were required to be armed. As far as I know, they never shot themselves down, or had a negligent discharge. I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

Private Investigator

Quote from: Major Lord on July 29, 2012, 05:58:51 AM...I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

Now that is funny   :clap:

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on July 29, 2012, 05:58:51 AM

2nd -
Philosophy major?

"Stand up philosopher."
"No..."

I am not sure when they stopped, but Alaskan CAP Aircraft were required to be armed. As far as I know, they never shot themselves down, or had a negligent discharge. I have been armed many times on CAP duties, and never killed anything more dangerous than a flat piece of paper or a couple of skeet. ( they taste  just like chalky  chicken )

Major Lord

According to Ed Bos's post on the first page, they never were "required" to be armed.
Considering he's a past AKWG/CV and he still lives in Alaska, I'll take his word for it.