What to say on the radio?

Started by Robborsari, October 19, 2010, 09:23:04 PM

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on October 22, 2010, 12:56:57 AM
In those situations we are unlikely to face the same situation.

Why are you so dead for these codes?

The fact of the matter is that FEMA wants plain language for a reason. In Suffolk County, if I called for a 'Signal Ten, forthwith,' it means that I'm calling for police assistance. If I call out 'Signal Ten' in Nassau County, it means 'working structure fire' or 'clear the air.' If I call Signal Ten in New York City, it doesn't mean anything.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

manfredvonrichthofen

The issue is covered in the ICS courses required for GTM. The reason is stated in the post above! It is just as simple as that. Not all agencies use the same terminology therefore you should use plain English when transmitting over comms. The issue of loved ones should be taken care of by the LO and the Chaplain, they should be taking care of the family and keeping them away from the operation. If the Newly widowed woman rushes into the Ops Base when she hears the comms flare up then that is her problem. We have no responsibility when it comes to a situation like that.

arajca

We may have no responsibility for her, but she can easily disrupt the operation of the command center. That we do have responsibility for.

As mentioned several times, the chaplain, or someone else, must be assigned to deal with the family/friends/press/media to keep them out of the operations area.

manfredvonrichthofen

Ok, who was it that deleted their post?

Thunder

Quote from: Eclipse on October 21, 2010, 10:24:20 PM
Because the guidelines and regs say "don't".

Tactical call signs are supposed to be easily understandable as well.

At least according to my wing's communications curriculum (HI HI ICUT where are you) Tactical call signs are supposed to hide the function and location of the station. These will likely be used on DHS/DEA missions. Call signs are something that I don't think slow down the communications unless you slept through the briefing.

I've flown with pilots that keep forgetting their call sign, and its on a placard 1 foot from their nose all the time. Thats going to happen.

Eclipse

Quote from: Thunder on October 22, 2010, 03:35:27 PM

At least according to my wing's communications curriculum (HI HI ICUT where are you) Tactical call signs are supposed to hide the function and location of the station. These will likely be used on DHS/DEA missions. Call signs are something that I don't think slow down the communications unless you slept through the briefing.

I agree on them not confusing anyone paying attention.

I think we are talking about two different things, though.

"tactical", in this case, refers to a "clear-text" term for your function.  (i.e. Ground Team 1, Ground Branch Director, etc.), as opposed to using your wing-assigned station number (my wing uses "Red Fox ###).  I would say that in most CAP operations, it is more important to
make things quick and easy than to try and be "clever" because some HAM guy might be listening in on the channel.

"Tactical" in your example, with a capital "T" is more like "Yellow 6", which, as you say, would be used to shield location and function - like everything else ICS and ES, there are times these things are necessary and appropriate - LEA surveillance teams don't say "White Van in front of the house 4 this is guy sneaking in through the basement window 1", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thunder

Quote from: Eclipse on October 22, 2010, 03:47:38 PM

I agree on them not confusing anyone paying attention.

I think we are talking about two different things, though.

"tactical", in this case, refers to a "clear-text" term for your function.  (i.e. Ground Team 1, Ground Branch Director, etc.), as opposed to using your wing-assigned station number (my wing uses "Red Fox ###).

"Tactical" in your example, with a capital "T" is more like "Yellow 6", which, as you say, would be used to shield location and function - like everything else ICS and ES, there are times these things are necessary and appropriate - LEA surveillance teams don't say "White Van in front of the house 4 this is guy sneaking in through the basement window 1", etc.

Thats a functional call sign you are speaking of, then. I see the point though.

lordmonar

I've flown with pilots that keep forgetting their call sign, and its on a placard 1 foot from their nose all the time. Thats going to happen.
HIDE the function?  Tactical Callsigns are supposed to do the complete opposite.  My CAP van is Silverstate 179 IIRC......but when when we use it on a mission it is Ground Team 1.

Our mission bases call sign is Silver State 170....but when we use it on a mission it is "Vegas Command" or "Mission Base" or "VGT Base".

Again...the goal is to make it easier to call who you want and not have to look up a bunch of call signs off of a cheat sheet.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: JThemann on October 22, 2010, 03:55:31 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 22, 2010, 12:56:57 AM
In those situations we are unlikely to face the same situation.

Why are you so dead for these codes?

The fact of the matter is that FEMA wants plain language for a reason. In Suffolk County, if I called for a 'Signal Ten, forthwith,' it means that I'm calling for police assistance. If I call out 'Signal Ten' in Nassau County, it means 'working structure fire' or 'clear the air.' If I call Signal Ten in New York City, it doesn't mean anything.
Right, because it is very important when talking with other agencies to speak the same language.  However, in this case we're speaking of CAP members talking to themselves.  In that case interagency communication is irrelevant.

Flying Pig

I think CAP members just like to talk in code.

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on October 22, 2010, 04:57:02 PM

HIDE the function?  Tactical Callsigns are supposed to do the complete opposite.  My CAP van is Silverstate 179 IIRC......but when when we use it on a mission it is Ground Team 1.

Our mission bases call sign is Silver State 170....but when we use it on a mission it is "Vegas Command" or "Mission Base" or "VGT Base".

Again...the goal is to make it easier to call who you want and not have to look up a bunch of call signs off of a cheat sheet.
Not quite - FUNCTIONAL DESIGNATORS are used for incidents. These include Ground Team 1, Flight Line, etc. TACTICAL CALLSIGNS are what we use everyday, such as Blue Mesa 4, Red Fox 87, etc.

EMT-83

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 22, 2010, 06:48:20 PM
I think CAP members just like to talk in code.
Acronyms, definitely. Code, maybe. 

Flying Pig

Gunslinger 25.  Heard that one from an AH1 Cobra a couple weeks ago.  I want it.  Bad.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 22, 2010, 07:29:17 PM
Gunslinger 25.  Heard that one from an AH1 Cobra a couple weeks ago.  I want it.  Bad.

Pilot:  Yankee Doodle Floppy Disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, checking in at 700 feet, request permission to land.
ATC: Roger that, Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, you are cleared to land. Welcome to the Mediterranean!

ATC: Alpha Velveeta Knuckle Underwear, you are cleared for take-off. When you hit that nuclear weapons plant... drop a bomb for me!
Pilot: Sphincter Mucus Niner Ringworm, roger!

"That Others May Zoom"

nesagsar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 22, 2010, 08:19:03 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 22, 2010, 07:29:17 PM

Pilot:  Yankee Doodle Floppy Disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, checking in at 700 feet, request permission to land.
ATC: Roger that, Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, you are cleared to land. Welcome to the Mediterranean!

ATC: Alpha Velveeta Knuckle Underwear, you are cleared for take-off. When you hit that nuclear weapons plant... drop a bomb for me!
Pilot: Sphincter Mucus Niner Ringworm, roger!

Hot Shots, great film.

I just think that incident specific designators can be handed out at the inprocess briefing. If it changes on each incident and is only used once per incident (the actual find) then it will never be cracked. It might not work for mass casualty but for mass-cass we wouldnt be lead agency, you would start looking at ESF activation.

Jerry Jacobs

I like the use of codes for when I'm near  the family during a search (This is county SAR not CAP). I am usually one of the first specialized SAR personnel on missing person cases in my county and have to go into the house to collect scent samples for the K9's. A simple 10-55 wont raise suspicion from the family and will allow time for a chaplain to come and tell them.

wuzafuzz

If there are folks around, such as family, I just plug an earphone into my speaker/mic or headset into my base radio.  When i was a youngster I thought codes were the super-official cats meow.  Now I think they are unneeded. Everything you can do with codes can be done with plain language and discretion.  Family shouldn't be hanging out in communications anyway.  As was mentioned earlier, if they overhear a code word in an otherwise no-code environment they are going to know something is up. What do you say when they ask "what does that mean?" Unless you are a good actor you will reveal it right there anyway.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

a2capt

"shouldn't be hanging out in ...xxxxx" yup, but sometimes "xxxxx, yyyyy, and zzzzzz" are all in the same small area.
In that scenario I'd figure that a headset/earplug of some nature would be in use anyway just for the sanity of the communications operator(s) in general. Some of you older ones get cranky having to listen to two things at once ;-)

Eclipse

Man do I wish more people would "invest" the $25 on a surveillance mic, regardless of what radio they are using.

I hate keying up and hearing myself echo all over the building - so unprofessional.

"Well, it isn't my radio, why should I spend money on it?"

((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: Jerry Jacobs on October 23, 2010, 06:36:21 AM
I like the use of codes for when I'm near  the family during a search (This is county SAR not CAP). I am usually one of the first specialized SAR personnel on missing person cases in my county and have to go into the house to collect scent samples for the K9's. A simple 10-55 wont raise suspicion from the family and will allow time for a chaplain to come and tell them.

Which works in your local jurisdiction, but may not in others. You say you have a 10-55 on a missing person search, you're gonna get some confused looks around here.

(10-55 is intoxicated driver in these parts)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)