What to say on the radio?

Started by Robborsari, October 19, 2010, 09:23:04 PM

Robborsari

We are often cautioned at briefings that our communications may be overheard by the media and not to say anything that you would not want a family member to overhear.  Given that we are specifically prohibited from using codes or codewords for things, what do people say on the radio in given situations?
You would not want to have ambulances and so on screaming to the site because you did not want to say dead over the radio but it needs to be communicated to the base.  Does anyone have a list of stock phrases to use for things?   I would like to be able to distribute a sheet of radio safe phrases rather than leave it up to each person to try and figure out what to say at the moment.
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Eclipse

"Please call me on my cell phone."

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Also a simple, "target/objective located."
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Say what you need to say.

As you said we don't use code words.....but if you need to say "target located...no need for EMS" then anyone listening can figure it out themselves.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NCRblues

'we found em, they are all dead.... well except for one, but he ain't ganna make it"

OHHH, this is what TO say over the radio...sorry bout that  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

nesagsar

"Sir we have a person here who reports body parts falling out of the sky, Over."

RiverAux

Personally, I am all in favor of having code words for certain situations and while it certainly isn't in the spirit of the ICS world, sometimes you just need to do things differently. 

sardak

I've always liked "Is Quincy in base?"  See how many CAP Talkers understand that.

As for plain language being an ICS requirement, this is from DHS's 19 page "Plain Language Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)" published in June, 2010, page 6:

According to the NIMS Alert released by FEMA in 2006 and again in 2009, "beginning FY 2006,federal preparedness grant funding is contingent on the use of plain language in incidentsrequiring assistance from responders from other agencies, jurisdictions, and functional disciplines."

At present there is no requirement at the Federal government level (or known State requirement) that mandates the use of plain language in daily operations inside of a single discipline.
Emphasis is from the publication.

Personally, I've never understood why CAP members are so hung up on using codes when a find is made. Within a short time it will be discussed openly on the law/fire/EMS channels with no one worried about keeping it a secret. This is partly why the media often gets it wrong about who really made the find. 

As for being discrete, how about just, "On scene, no further assistance needed." Then let base deal with the paranoia of how to get the rest of the information.

And if there are survivors, I certainly hope no one is considering using codes.

Mike

RiverAux

Personally, I think such codes are most appropriate when an aircrew has a sighting of something that they'd like the ground team to check out.  A lot of the time they aren't going to be sure it actually is the target and I'd like the ground team to have some time to make sure before everybody and their brother starts streaking to the scene. 

But, when we get our encryption set up it won't make any difference, so it won't be an issue much longer.

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on October 20, 2010, 12:07:46 PM
But, when we get our encryption set up it won't make any difference, so it won't be an issue much longer.

How bout when the new widow is sitting in the mission base for the search (waiting for word that you've found her husband's overdue plane and that he's safe) and you say over your nice, clear, encrypted digital radio that her husband is dead and the coyotes have picked him clean...discretion in what you say is still warranted.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: sardak on October 20, 2010, 04:16:14 AM
I've always liked "Is Quincy in base?"  See how many CAP Talkers understand that.
Quincy.  There's a blast to the past!  I like it.

I'm convinced any codes we invent will be public knowledge in no time at all.  Radio buffs will have them down faster than our own membership. 

Are codes even needed?  I suggest not.  If we use clear text for survivors and codes for fatalities, everyone will know what's going on anyway.  As others have said, go to the phone if you can, or just say it as delicately as possible. As JeffDG pointed out, you never know who's listening, and an inadvertent or careless revelation can be awful.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: sardak on October 20, 2010, 04:16:14 AM

Never mind separating the cadets from the the seniors. This will go over the head of half the seniors

Thunder

Quote from: wuzafuzz on October 20, 2010, 12:39:40 PM

I'm convinced any codes we invent will be public knowledge in no time at all. 

Especially if we list them here!

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 12:14:01 PM

How bout when the new widow is sitting in the mission base for the search (waiting for word that you've found her husband's overdue plane and that he's safe) and you say over your nice, clear, encrypted digital radio that her husband is dead and the coyotes have picked him clean...discretion in what you say is still warranted.

I agree with you completely, but I also must wonder why the family was allowed anywhere near the radio equipment... I would think that they should be kept as far away from the operations area as possible. Just my 2 cents.

Thunder

I think the concern is a valid. However, its right here in CAPR100-3 1-7.a:

Quotea. Codes and Ciphers.
Locally designed codes or adaptation of official codes, however well intentioned, will not deceive a cryptanalyst; only officially authorized codes are to be used. It has become a practice within CAP to assign "code words" to various mission events, in the belief that doing so will conceal these events from an undesired listener. This practice is seldom effective, violates the principles of the Incident Command System and is therefore not authorized.

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 12:14:01 PM

How about the Mission Chaplain doing his job and keeping the family out of the mission base where they could hear such a transmission?

Being sensitive....and protecting the scene.....and trying to control the information are all well and good.......but let's keep a focus on the reasonn why we have radios in the first place.....and that is to do the mission in the most efficiant way.

Say what you got to say.....and nothing else.....use professional language and don't get wrapped up too much over this.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bosshawk

Where is the "Secret Squirrel" when we need him?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

wuzafuzz

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

coudano

Quote from: Mike Collins in From The Earth To The Moon"If you had any balls, you'd say 'Oh, my God, what is that thing?' then scream and cut your mic."