California CN Program Obsolete?

Started by DG, March 25, 2010, 12:35:28 PM

Rotorhead

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 26, 2010, 04:55:26 PM
Quote from: Pylon on March 26, 2010, 03:51:49 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on March 25, 2010, 12:45:18 PM
Not according to the DEA, which says states can't legalize pot.

For what it's worth, there's a standing Executive Order from the President directing federal agents and agencies not to pursue or prosecute individuals who are growing/selling/using marijuana under provisions set by state laws.  So while the federal law may very well technically trump the state laws, the feds are not getting into that quagmire at this time.

Executive Orders do not cancel existing laws.  Thats why we are a Republic.  The President isnt a King who can wipe away laws at the stroke of a pen. I can assure you the DEA is still going after marijuana growers and dealers.  Either that or I just spent the last week wasting a lot of time.

DEA is still busting medical pot dispensaries even where local laws allow them.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Flying Pig

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 28, 2010, 03:07:34 PM
Frankly this is a program that CAP shouldn't have gotten involved in, in the first place.   The total lack of OPSEC is unbelievable.  There's been stories in the press in the past even telling where our airplanes where stationed , and the same commanders' bragging about how much weed was found etc.

There's plenty of law enforcement aero assets (especially in CA) that could be used for this program.   

This program should have been run as black ops so to speak, and the public disclosure could have been something along the lines of "in addition to diaster relief efforts, CAP on occassion, may provide limited confidential recon/photo services for other federal law enforcement agencies".
Even screening for these missions, could have handled as a "special screen" for a federal agency.

RM

CD is very much a worth while program.  As far as there being plenty of LE air assets in CA that can be used for it.  Who? Where? and who's going to pay for it and staff it?  CAP has the ability to provide a funded service to LE using non-paid violunteers with no concern  to the agency about who is going to pay for it.   Agencies without aircraft do not get to just call up and borrow another departments aircraft.  I know in someones Utopia it should work that way.
If my agency "loans" our plane or helicopter and pilot to another agency for a case, they get bill in the mail after that case is done.  They get billed the pilots salary, and the market cost of what it would normally cost for them to rent a comparable aircraft.   And then here comes CAP who says "You can use ours for free."  Sure there are missions CAP cannot perform, but you take what you can get.
As far as lack of OPSEC?  I havn't seen any real issues.  LE aircraft sit out on the ramp as well, completely exposed to people walking by.  For press releases, I have seen nothing more than our PIO does at work after we bust someone.  In fact, I have seen LE PIOs stick their foot in their mouths far more times than I have seen anyone from CAP do it.  Usually, CAP members are afraid to say anything at all!
The screening process was not set up by CAP, it was set up and is run by the federal agencies we support, and they are happy with it. The agencies we support love the service we provide. 

capchiro

CN is very alive and well in Georgia.  It makes for an interesting part of the program for seniors and pays for a great deal of flight time.  It is also widely appreciated by the LE agencies we work with..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Major Lord

Its hard to imagine a cheaper source of air assets than CAP ( Although, no doubt, there are  pilots out there who would contribute their own time , aircraft, and fuel to help stop the illegal immigration and drug trade flowing across our borders) CAP has also been more or less exempted from "restrictions" placed on the real military by the Posse Comitatus Act, at least in this regard.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on March 28, 2010, 07:22:28 PM
Its hard to imagine a cheaper source of air assets than CAP ( Although, no doubt, there are  pilots out there who would contribute their own time , aircraft, and fuel to help stop the illegal immigration and drug trade flowing across our borders) CAP has also been more or less exempted from "restrictions" placed on the real military by the Posse Comitatus Act, at least in this regard.

Major Lord

National Guard in "State" status is exempt from Posse Comitatus too, but we're cheaper to use. We also don't draw as much attention.

Major Lord

Quote from: PHall on March 28, 2010, 08:38:25 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on March 28, 2010, 07:22:28 PM

Major Lord

National Guard in "State" status is exempt from Posse Comitatus too, but we're cheaper to use. We also don't draw as much attention.

Yeah, like that low key National Guard deployment at Kent State, or Waco, Texas......Probably no one noticed.......Just kidding Phil!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Flying Pig

I took his post meaning CAP doesnt draw as much attention.  EVERYONE notices a HH60G sitting at the local FBO!

Major Lord

Ahhh, You are probably right. I thought Phil might be in the ANG by now......

Major Lord

Short Field

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 28, 2010, 03:07:34 PM
The total lack of OPSEC is unbelievable.  There's been stories in the press in the past even telling where our airplanes where stationed , and the same commanders' bragging about how much weed was found etc.

What has been the Operational Impact due to this publicity?  While a lot of people bemoan the fact, we do live in an open society where government must have a valid reason to keep information from the public.  Waving the OPSEC flag about CAP commanders' bragging about how weed they found would only keep that information from the PUBLIC (our bosses?).  I bet the weed growers know exactly how much weed got found.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on March 28, 2010, 10:47:52 PM
Ahhh, You are probably right. I thought Phil might be in the ANG by now......

Major Lord

No, but your kid is.

Major Lord

Yup, He is having loads of fun (all classroom so far) to learn the fine art of the Mini-gun. Who would have thought that there would be so much classroom time to learn to fire more ammo in a half hour then most of us fire in a life time? Happiness is a crew served weapon.  He is having a swell time in New Mexico.

Major Lord