Cadet vs senior - where to go?

Started by JaxTeller, July 18, 2017, 03:25:50 AM

JaxTeller

Title pretty much sums it up.

I am a 30 something PPL and Instrument rated pilot. Work a full time gig and flying has never been a priority. Looking to change that. Would like to join CAP and the closest location to me is Fargo. They have "cadet" and "seniors" squadron. Not sure which way to go. Long term goal is to get my comm and CFI and teach on the side.

Any advise with this?

MSG Mac

Cadet age brackets run from 12-21, you're obviously not in that age bracket. You should go Senior Member. Check with your local units and find the best fit.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Fubar

I would suggest visiting both squadrons, perhaps more than once, before making your decision on which squadron to join. Provided they are both about the same distance and neither is more convenient than the other, you'll likely find one of the squadrons "fits" better into what you're looking for in CAP.

With that said, in the cadet squadron you'll likely be expected to perform some sort of role supporting the cadets, whereas the senior squadron won't have anything but the senior members and whatever plane they fly. Even if you join the senior squadron, nothing will prevent you from helping the cadet squadron out with orientation flights and flight instruction.

Whichever option you go with, welcome to CAP!

HandsomeWalt_USMC

I'd say it depends. A cadet squadron, as you may have guessed, focuses on the Cadet Program primarily. ES and Aerospace Education are done as well, but in more of a supporting role to the CP. With a cadet squadron you could absolutely be of service as an aerospace educator and fly O-rides, which depending on aircraft availability and cadet numbers could definitely be a good way to help build hours. In a senior squadron, you won't be working with cadets nearly as much (wing events, maybe O-rides if you fly them to assist another squadron.). However, you will likely be able to progress more quickly on the ES/Operations side of things. I'm sure others will be along shortly to elaborate more, but it really boils down to "Do I want to work with Cadets (kids) on a continuous basis, or would I prefer to be around adults primarily?"
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Capt Thompson

As others have said, either could be a great fit for you. I came back to CAP a few years ago after a long hiatus, and attended meetings at the two closest Squadrons for about a month. After a couple weeks, one began to fit better than the other, and that's the one I chose, and I haven't ever regretted that decision. Both Cadet and Senior Squadrons need adult leaders, and every Squadron could use a great pilot! Try them both, go with the one that fits best with you, have fun, and welcome to CAP!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

JaxTeller

Thanks all. I talked to both guys. Seems like the Senior Squadron is a better fit for me currently.

I'll be attending a meeting early next month and will get the paperwork started.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

JaxTeller

Thanks all!

I am in as a SM. Enjoying it!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk