NC wing summer encampment 2014

Started by nomiddlemas, March 19, 2014, 09:51:35 PM

nomiddlemas

Hey I am an Airman First class at the CAP.  I am thinking of doing my first encampment this summer.  I am in the NC wing so I would like to know from anyone that has knowledge/experience at the NC wing summer encampment.  What do you do day to day?

Spartan

What you do day to day depends on which focus of the encampment you wish to participate.  Before the peanut gallery goes nuts, NCWG has three major focuses at encampment; leadership, aerospace and ES.  Each has its own requirements to participate.  Each also meets the standards for encampment training and activities. 

The ES focus gives you the opportunity (not the guarantee) to walk away from encampment with both your encampment credit and having earned GTM3.  It is also the most physically and preparation work demanding of the three choices.  The staff who has been responsible for the ES training in the past have been pretty darn good.

The aerospace focus also provides encampment credit, but your training can also includes things like model rocketry and more advanced ideas about aeronautics, physics, and all things flying.

The leadership focus is what most people think of when they think of an encampment.  It is in-depth followership and basic leadership training that with a little translation can go on a resume'.  It covers a lot of the theory and conceptual aspects of leadership in a practical application setting.  Mentally, I think this one is probably the most challenging.

Regardless of which focus you choose, NCWG does a pretty good job at selecting their staff.  They also do a good job of making sure that the core requirements are met for all students regardless of their focus.  When it comes to how each focus works, think of it as electives all in one area.  For those of you who have experience with college; the focus would be like a minor that comes with the degree program.

Check out NCWG's Facebook page and look through the pictures from previous encampments.  It should give you a good idea of what is done day to day.  Anticipate both hands on and theory classes every day, PT in the morning and limited privacy via communal living in Camp Butner's facilities.  Also, expect that your comfort zone, mental fortitude and physical stamina will be put to the test.  In three years of working with cadets in NCWG, I have not had a single cadet that regretted, or returned without developing their skills as a leader having attended NCWG's encampment.

If this is the year for you to attend, get your application in as soon as it is ready and the application period is open.  Make sure your paperwork is legible and that you have the items on the packing list prior to encampment.  If there is a training, age or cadet grade requirement make sure you meet that requirement by the deadline.  YOU are the greatest determining factor in your attending encampment and getting the focus you want.

There are a lot of opportunities built within CAP if the tuition is an issue.  If it is an issue, you should communicate this through your chain of command.  You may be able to get a scholarship to cover some if not all of the tuition costs.

PA Guy

Is the curriculum for each option available for viewing?