Assisting Customs Border Patrol

Started by blackrain, July 24, 2008, 04:02:53 AM

mikeylikey

Quote from: blackrain on July 31, 2008, 06:17:49 PM
Maybe someone needs to bring it to Congress's attention how much contempt some in the military hold them.

Unfortunately it is not our right, nor is it our privilege to speak out against the elected government.  You took an oath, and you lost some rights by joining the military.  For better or worse, your job is to support the government by carrying out your duties to the best of your ability no matter your personal feelings on the matter are.  The military "speaks with its feet", as in if you don't like how the civilian leadership is doing, don't reenlist. 

We represent ALL American people, not one political party over another.  Too many people tend to forget that. 

Sorry you couldn't branch aviation......perhaps a WO position will open up, did you try for an age waiver??  Just because one person says no......there are other options.  Seek out different help by first talking to your Commander.  Express your desire to be an Officer.  I imagine you have the educational requirements met?  If you can serve your full 20 years before hitting the mandatory retirement age, and you are under 40......Age waivers are a very good possibility.  What National Guard do you serve??   
What's up monkeys?

DNall

Echoing some of that... Some of the paperwork is out of date & gives numbers as low as 26 being the cutoff. I'm 32 & headed to Rucker on a commissioned slot. The age cutoff is 33 to board for a slot, which may in theory not ship to training for up to 24mos. That's all w/o waivers.

We do grant waivers, but you really have to be the right guy for the job versus sending a younger candidate. You're a private pilot with TIS & a couple deployments. That's a solid resume for a waiver. I've heard of guys going though at 37. It's absolutely possible.

If you're approaching the state aviation office, you're doing it wrong. I just helped out a guy that's under 30, was SF CPT, finishing masters degree now, wanted to come in for a WO flight slot. The SAO told him no. We took care of that at the BN level and he's getting a slot. You need to go see an AV BN S3 and sell yourself as someone they want to work with, and that they need in that slot.

Far as congress... it is what it is. Those other agencies are defending their ability to accomplish their mission in the zero-sum environment they have to deal with. There just isn't an endless pot of money in anyone's pocket to pay for CAP on top of what they already do. CAP can do some useful things, but you have to look at our real world capabilities to be mission effective to the standard they need.

blackrain

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 31, 2008, 06:55:11 PM
Quote from: blackrain on July 31, 2008, 06:17:49 PM
Maybe someone needs to bring it to Congress's attention how much contempt some in the military hold them.

Unfortunately it is not our right, nor is it our privilege to speak out against the elected government.  You took an oath, and you lost some rights by joining the military.  For better or worse, your job is to support the government by carrying out your duties to the best of your ability.

We represent ALL American people, not one political party over another.  Too many people tend to forget that. 

I agree completely. I was referring to those who feel the can't allow encroachment on their mission for fear Congress will cut their funding. I for one think Congress is able to make their own decision and don't need to be protected from themselves. I don't always agree myself with their decisions but that is their purview. Just a brief reply as I'm out the door for some very needed PT before work.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy