Main Menu

Be Advised

Started by Theodore, April 14, 2016, 01:31:19 PM

Theodore

Lately, I have been reviewing ICUT, and made a list of good prowords to use on the radio. However, every one says that the phrase, "Be Advised" is bad form. Why? I cant find a good reason online.

Eclipse

It / they are unnecessary filler words people use to sound official but which are redundant.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

NIN

"Be advised, you're doing it wrong."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

Be advised.  Saying be advised sounds really good in scripts for movies and tv shows.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: coudano on April 14, 2016, 03:20:29 PM
Be advised.  Saying be advised sounds really good in scripts for movies and tv shows.

Yea, that's a 10-4, Stand by to be advised that's a roger wilco!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

http://www.afcea.org/content/?q=be-advised

Be Advised
July 1, 2014
By Lt. Gen. Daniel P. Bolger, USA (Ret.)

You don't hear much old-school military radio traffic anymore. Except for a few front-line radio nets, most radio chatter has been replaced by the endless, silent interplay of text messages, emails and Web postings. With that shift, we have lost an entire dialect of martial radio-speak.

Sure, the approved terms—roger, wilco, prepare to copy, say again—remain in the training curricula.

But the unofficial lexicon has dried up. You rarely hear today's sergeants and lieutenants asking "how do you read this station?" That certainly is a tribute to the crystal clarity offered by modern digital equipment.

And you certainly never hear the old standby before rendering a report: "Be advised."

Nobody is advised of anything in today's U.S. armed forces. They already have read the text and have moved on.

Mike

NIN

Interrogatory: what did you do before?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Ranks right up there with "For Your Information".

RogueLeader

Be Advised: I will yell at anyone (curse silently)  for using REPEAT on the radio, unless you are actually calling in an Artillery Strike.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 14, 2016, 08:39:16 PM
Be Advised: I will yell at anyone (curse silently)  for using REPEAT on the radio, unless you are actually calling in an Artillery Strike.

What's that? Retreat? Hell, we just got here!

NCRblues

Attention all post and patrols, be advised, reaper 8 had declared an in flight emergancy. Reaper 8 is currently inbound on final to runway 9. It has 2 souls, 1,000 pounds of munitions and 9,000 pounds of fuel onboard. How do you copy whisky one, bravo one, police one, defender one?

Heard all the goodies everyday at work! Miss those days...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Luis R. Ramos

Be advised this thread needs the Uniform touch. What else we need to do so?

For your information, the Communications Patch can be used by both seniors and cadets on their uniforms.

Can we repeat this several times?

THERE! Used THREE annoying words to turn this thread into an uniform thread!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 14, 2016, 08:39:16 PM

To this day it is hard for me to say "Repeat That?".  I can only say "Say Again?". 

I remember during a live training exercise I got to call in artillery.  It was the greatest time to say the words "Repeat" and watching real artillery rain down on a tank position.  Brings back fun memories. 

Spam

Quote from: NCRblues on April 14, 2016, 09:41:35 PM
Attention all post and patrols, be advised, reaper 8 had declared an in flight emergancy. Reaper 8 is currently inbound on final to runway 9. It has 2 souls, 1,000 pounds of munitions and 9,000 pounds of fuel onboard. How do you copy whisky one, bravo one, police one, defender one?

Heard all the goodies everyday at work! Miss those days...

These days, "Reaper 8" would have zero souls on board, the pilot would be sitting in a comfy chair sipping chai latte flying via his datalink, and wouldn't engage in comm with the manned aircraft frantically maneuvering to avoid his blissfully ignorant UAV transiting their airspace.

"Twos Blind"!
- Spam

EMT-83

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

USACAP

True.

Quote from: sardak on April 14, 2016, 04:22:58 PM
http://www.afcea.org/content/?q=be-advised

Be Advised
July 1, 2014
By Lt. Gen. Daniel P. Bolger, USA (Ret.)

You don't hear much old-school military radio traffic anymore. Except for a few front-line radio nets, most radio chatter has been replaced by the endless, silent interplay of text messages, emails and Web postings. With that shift, we have lost an entire dialect of martial radio-speak.

Sure, the approved terms—roger, wilco, prepare to copy, say again—remain in the training curricula.

But the unofficial lexicon has dried up. You rarely hear today's sergeants and lieutenants asking "how do you read this station?" That certainly is a tribute to the crystal clarity offered by modern digital equipment.

And you certainly never hear the old standby before rendering a report: "Be advised."

Nobody is advised of anything in today's U.S. armed forces. They already have read the text and have moved on.

Mike

Eclipse

! No longer available

(Jump to 2:31.  For some reason the forum engine doesn't save the URL time start, and keeps generating these "no longer available" links)

"That Others May Zoom"