SAR Track - Real-time Mission Log and Debrief for iPhone/iPad now available

Started by bigfootpilot, January 21, 2014, 06:17:21 PM

bigfootpilot

SAR Track was just released on the Apple App Store, and now through the end of February you can experience the full version of the app for free!  It was developed with CAP ES in mind, but could apply to other SAR and ES organizations as well.  I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement as you use the app.

SAR Track is the best app to use on a mission to keep an easy, accurate, real-time log and provide a detailed debriefing.

• Displays the track in real-time
• Captures the time, Latitude/Longitude, altitude and course for user-specified events with a single touch
• Annotates the map with events
• Custom log entry can be made at any time
• Review the sortie in detail on the device or share via e-mail and import into external mapping tools.
• Universal app runs on both the iPhone/iPod and iPad

=================
In the Air
=================

MISSION OBSERVERS no longer have to write down sortie events. Setup your buttons to capture standard events like: In Grid, Ops Normal Checkin, RTB, Investigate, Divert, Photo, Mark Target, Weather, Communications Relay, etc. Observers will appreciate the decrease in their workload so they can focus more outside the cockpit and spend more time on sortie objectives. They'll finish the mission with a complete and accurate log of mission events that will impress any customer or debriefer and help them make better decisions to complete the mission.

MISSION CHECK PILOTS and INSTRUCTOR PILOTS can use it during flight to take notes and provide real-time feedback. When the flight is complete, the entire flight can be reviewed without having to remember or write down what happened.

=================
On the Ground
=================

GROUND TEAM LEADERS and GROUND TEAM MEMBERS will utilize the logging of their track and the ability to take notes along the way. Easily mark events like where beacons were picked up, where clues were found, when communications were made, etc.

=================
At the Debriefing
=================

INCIDENT COMMANDERS, AIR OPERATIONS BRANCH DIRECTORS and CREW MEMBERS will love how it enhances debriefings by graphically displaying the route taken during the mission and annotating all mission events. The map can be zoomed in and analyzed in a number of ways. The log can be e-mailed and imported into various mapping tools like Google Earth, opened directly in compatible apps on the iPad, or exported in standard GPX and KML formats. Air Sorties and Ground Missions are colored differently so combined tracks can be easily distinguished.

================
Features
================

● Constant display of time, Latitude, Longitude, GPS Altitude and Magnetic Course
● Nine customizable log buttons (seven on iPhone) to make logging common events a breeze with one touch
● Map and track is displayed and updated in real-time to review accuracy of maneuvers enhancing situational awareness
● Mission Log captures Log Number, Time, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude, Course, and Event every time an event button is pressed
● Debrief View shows route, event annotations, and complete log to facilitate sortie discussion
● Route and event information is interoperable with other iPad apps compatible with GPX or KML formats (i.e. Google Earth) and can be reviewed in an immersive 3D depiction of the sortie
● GPX or KML files can be shared through e-mail along with mission log
● GPS Track is logged in the background so you are free to utilize other apps during flight
● Use internal or external GPS
● Automatically logs wheels up and wheels down. Flight ends automatically if you forget.
● Flights are saved and can be reviewed at any time.
● Supports Metric and Imperial Units and three standard degree formats
● Select Ground or Air mode when starting mission
● Auto-zoom to event in debrief mode
● Mission timer

Official Website: http://www.sar-track.com

Link on App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sar-track/id781609936

Papabird

Looks great!  But, since I am on Android, I will keep watch for this on my OS.  :)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

vento

Looks great, I just downloaded and will give it a test run this weekend in an aircraft.
How much will the subscription cost after the end of February?

Angus

Quote from: jeders on January 21, 2014, 08:17:34 PM
Quote from: Papabird on January 21, 2014, 06:30:57 PM
Looks great!  But, since I am on Android, I will keep watch for this on my OS.  :)

Ditto

You could always make the switch to iOS.   :clap: :clap:
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

JeffDG

Quote from: Angus on January 22, 2014, 02:31:56 PM

Ditto

Come to the dark side...we have cookies!

jeders

Quote from: Angus on January 22, 2014, 02:31:56 PM

Ditto

I could also stick my head in a jet engine, doesn't make it a smart move though.  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

bigfootpilot

Quote from: vento on January 22, 2014, 01:12:36 PM
Looks great, I just downloaded and will give it a test run this weekend in an aircraft.

Pricing isn't set in stone yet, but two models are available. 

A "per Sortie" pricing model that charges a small amount for some number of sorties and then purchase more as needed.

A "full license" providing unlimited use of the app.

The free version is fully functional and limits sortie logs to 10 minutes, so folks will still be able to get a feel for what the app can do.

I'm open to feedback on this if anyone has suggestions on what would work for them.

wacapgh

Just DL'd it.

1. Ability to have some buttons active before engine start to record beginning Hobbs and Tach as part of the preflight. Or have a "preflight" mode that brings up a page (pages 1 and 2 of CAPF 104?) to enter static data that includes these items. Yeah the pilot is supposed to do that but it never hurts to have it written down again.
2. A 'postflight" mode (page 4 of CAPF 104) to get ending times and automatically compute total times (Actual/Hobbs/Tach) and record fuel/oil.
3. Ability to separately save aircraft data and crew info for reuse.

a2capt

"The free version" as in what's downloadable now, is good for 10 minutes, or the download that will be once this gets updated?

bigfootpilot

Quote from: a2capt on January 23, 2014, 05:10:53 PM
"The free version" as in what's downloadable now, is good for 10 minutes, or the download that will be once this gets updated?

Any downloads between now and Feb 28 include use of the full version for free through February.  Starting March 1st, the promotion will expire and the free version will have the 10 minute restriction.

bigfootpilot

Quote from: wacapgh on January 23, 2014, 02:15:21 PM
Just DL'd it.

1. Ability to have some buttons active before engine start to record beginning Hobbs and Tach as part of the preflight. Or have a "preflight" mode that brings up a page (pages 1 and 2 of CAPF 104?) to enter static data that includes these items. Yeah the pilot is supposed to do that but it never hurts to have it written down again.
2. A 'postflight" mode (page 4 of CAPF 104) to get ending times and automatically compute total times (Actual/Hobbs/Tach) and record fuel/oil.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think it will directly interface with the 104, but having those fields in the notes section is a great idea.

vento

Quote from: bigfootpilot on January 22, 2014, 10:27:40 PM
Quote from: vento on January 22, 2014, 01:12:36 PM

Pricing isn't set in stone yet, but two models are available. 

A "per Sortie" pricing model that charges a small amount for some number of sorties and then purchase more as needed.

A "full license" providing unlimited use of the app.

The free version is fully functional and limits sortie logs to 10 minutes, so folks will still be able to get a feel for what the app can do.

I'm open to feedback on this if anyone has suggestions on what would work for them.

Thanks for the update. I think I'd go with either "per sortie" or a "full license". I walked away from CloudAhoy when they started the "subscription" model recently.

wacapgh

Quote from: bigfootpilot on January 23, 2014, 05:41:03 PM
Just DL'd it.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think it will directly interface with the 104, but having those fields in the notes section is a great idea.

Weather permitting, I've got a couple of sorties planned for this weekend (training some new scanners) and I'll give it try.

bigfootpilot

Weather permitting, I've got a couple of sorties planned for this weekend (training some new scanners) and I'll give it try.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Mustang

I like it! Looks very useful.

A couple suggestions:

1. Give the user a choice to resume a sortie, rather than simply going to debrief mode. If the app crashes or is closed inadvertently (or possibly simply unloaded from RAM if you have other stuff running?), it seems you can't get back into a sortie still in progress.

2. Integration with CAPFlight Pro?  Like, start the sortie process in CAPFlight Pro, which should produce a 104 and pushes you into SAR Track for the sortie, which autopopulates the 104 back in CAPFlight Pro when complete.   Dreaming out loud here, but that would be awesome.

3. Grid overlay for map?

Great work overall, I really like what I'm seeing so far.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

ProdigalJim

^^^^^^^

Hey, roger that, Mustang! The idea of having systems that populate other systems, especially in the dynamic environment of an unfolding multi-aircraft, multi-sortie mission, is super exciting. Having an API or plug-in to link it to WMIRS? Even more awesome.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

JeffDG

Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 26, 2014, 12:24:01 AM
Having an API or plug-in to link it to WMIRS?
That one's never gonna happen...Not Invented Here is alive and well at NHQ, and if there was an API a whole crapload of stuff would be developed that wasn't invented there.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: JeffDG on January 26, 2014, 12:37:23 AM
Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 26, 2014, 12:24:01 AM
Having an API or plug-in to link it to WMIRS?
That one's never gonna happen...Not Invented Here is alive and well at NHQ, and if there was an API a whole crapload of stuff would be developed that wasn't invented there.

I know, I know. But a fella can dream, can't he?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Mustang

If only there were someone on this forum who had an, I dunno, supervisory, or say, governing relationship with the CEO, who could exert influence toward a cultural shift away from the "not invented here" attitude.

If only....
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "