Something to Play With

Started by tinker, January 13, 2011, 05:05:53 PM

peter rabbit

Really nice. Thanks. I've passed the link on.

sardak

QuoteIt includes chart legends as suggested by sardak and also the range-ring feature.
Tinker,
I like how you implemented the legend suggestion, thanks. I don't see that it causes any lag in the screen draw or refresh time when I move in or out an area with multiple sectionals.

I was looking at your coding and saw how the range ring diameter is a percentage of the screen height. It seems that a lower cutoff wouldn't be too hard to do. It's just that everyone would want a different minimum size circle, which gets backs to having to design a user interface for inputting the desired parameters. I don't know enough about Java to do that. All I've done for my own benefit is to change the output to show the range ring circle to one decimal and the screen height in nautical miles. Things of little value.

Mike

tinker

QuoteCould you add a selection for range ring size?
QuoteIt's just that everyone would want a different minimum size circle, which gets backs to having to design a user interface for inputting the desired parameters.
OK, Ok, it's there.

I have also added a "Point Finder" that puts a map pin on a user-specified lat/long and labels it.  The Point Finder setting for lat/long format (D.DD, D M.MM, D M S) also controls the display format of the mouse follower.

Finally, the html attempts to save the name of the current map as a cookie, so it will display the same map when reloaded.  The browsers seem to be confused by a local file trying to set a cookie, though, so I may have to rip this out.

This thing is starting to have a lot of moving parts, so I did not slipstream this version.  Here is a new link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6310843/Grid_Toy_V0.32.zip  Let me know what you think.

(Yes, I have some ideas for extending the map pin idea to multiple pins aka clues, but decided to put this version up first in order to get feedback.  Stay tuned.)

tinker

OK, I think Grid Toy is about done as far as features.  Please consider it to be beta code and PM me with any bugs or suggestions.  Use this link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6310843/Grid_Toy.zip

Features:

• Grids Google Maps for all states except Hawaii.
  • Grid labels can be conventional, cell, or none.
  • User-selectable range rings for identifying targets when printing maps.
  • Up to 50 user-definable map pin markers for identifying targets.
  • Selection of state, grid label type, and all pins are placed in browser storage and restored next time you open Grid Toy.  (check the readme file for important information on this)

I recommend using the Google Chrome browser to run Grid Toy due to its exceptional speed.  FireFox is in second place and IE8 is far in the distance, holding down last place in the performance derby.

Enjoy.